ryoder

Anti-LGBT Oregon bakers raise $500K online, refuse to pay $135K court order

ryoder

If you stand on your principles, you don't give in and pay unjust penalties, just because you have the money to do so. You refuse to pay, because of the principal involved.

Since the gay couple could have easily just gone to another baker to satisfy their needs, they suffered no real damages other than just emotional hurt, and the award of $135,000 is ridiculous.

Should we sue and bankrupt everyone who insults us? I think not. Shrug it off, and move on.

So, if I get a parking ticket because I'm just BARELY inside a red zone and firmly believe that I was within my rights to park there, I don't have to pay the ticket?

Cool.... I'll try that in court and let you know how it goes.

IIRC correctly, the bakers deliberately publicly posted the couples physical address and the couple received death threats as a result and almost lost their adopted children. I believe the majority of the emotional distress fine is due to that
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

If you stand on your principles, you don't give in and pay unjust penalties, just because you have the money to do so. You refuse to pay, because of the principal involved.

What principle is involved in soliciting donations in anticipation of needing to pay fines, and then trying to dodge the fines and keep the money?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

ryoder

Funny how the Reich Wing Conservatives totally support intentional and willful violations of the law by hateful bigots.

One must have a complete lack of ethical and moral consistency to be a conservative.

Nothing positive for society ever came about through the practical application of conservative philosophy.

Very much damage to individual and collective freedom occurs when conservative philosophy is successfully implemented. The voter suppression laws enacted in many states are an excellent example of how conservatives have damaged the country in a deliberate and heinous way. The disgusting infringement on women's rights to control their own health care decisions is another stellar example of the evil of conservatives.

funjumper101

Funny how the Reich Wing Conservatives totally support intentional and willful violations of the law by hateful bigots.

One must have a complete lack of ethical and moral consistency to be a conservative.

Nothing positive for society ever came about through the practical application of conservative philosophy.

Very much damage to individual and collective freedom occurs when conservative philosophy is successfully implemented. The voter suppression laws enacted in many states are an excellent example of how conservatives have damaged the country in a deliberate and heinous way. The disgusting infringement on women's rights to control their own health care decisions is another stellar example of the evil of conservatives.

And again, everyone stops reading at "relight".

And we all know who is posting.

Smh, face palm!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yes winning a court order and collecting one is two different things. Did they collect money for legal fees or legal penalties? The two are different.
I am not defending anyone in this case. But it is funny if a few key words are changed it is ok by people saying it is wrong, and vice versa.
To many people get caught up in what do other people say I should believe in. On both sides.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

lummy

So, if I get a parking ticket because I'm just BARELY inside a red zone and firmly believe that I was within my rights to park there, I don't have to pay the ticket?

Whether or not you have to pay it is up to a judge. But if the fine is $135,000 for a trivial offense, then you should stand on principal and challenge it, even if you're a billionaire.

Socrates

***So, if I get a parking ticket because I'm just BARELY inside a red zone and firmly believe that I was within my rights to park there, I don't have to pay the ticket?

Whether or not you have to pay it is up to a judge. But if the fine is $135,000 for a trivial offense, then you should stand on principal and challenge it, even if you're a billionaire.

Trivial offense?

I take it that you have minimal comprehension of the facts of the case.
55 years ago you and your kind defended the rights of white businessmen to discriminate against Negros solely on the basis of their skin color. History documents the fact that those that supported this bigotry used the bible and " religious beliefs" to try to justify such bigotry.

It is not possible for conservatives to lead us to a more just, free, and open society. They drag down the whole world. Nothing positive for society or the world ever came about due to conservative philosophy and politics. Quite the opposite occurs when they fool the nitwits into putting them in power.

funjumper101

******So, if I get a parking ticket because I'm just BARELY inside a red zone and firmly believe that I was within my rights to park there, I don't have to pay the ticket?

Trivial offense?

I take it that you have minimal comprehension of the facts of the case.
55 years ago you and your kind defended the rights of white businessmen to discriminate against Negros solely on the basis of their skin color. History documents the fact that those that supported this bigotry used the bible and " religious beliefs" to try to justify such bigotry.

It is not possible for conservatives to lead us to a more just, free, and open society. They drag down the whole world. Nothing positive for society or the world ever came about due to conservative philosophy and politics. Quite the opposite occurs when they fool the nitwits into putting them in power.

It appears from this website that the UL is still struggling with some of the same issues as the US does regarding equality.

I believe it was 1970 that they enacted the equal pay law.

That was only 45 years ago.

Why is it that you bash the US for its views and ignore the rest of the world? Is your world view and intelligence that myopic?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

kallend

It appears from this website that the UL is still struggling with some of the same issues as the US does regarding equality.

Underwriters Laboratories? ;)

;)

It typed as UK . . . I saw it . . . . I think normiss and I should go on an anti tablet typing crime spree, we can use sticks and knives.

turtlespeed

;)

It typed as UK . . . I saw it . . . . I think normiss and I should go on an anti tablet typing crime spree, we can use sticks and knives.

Yeah yeah yeah.

There IS a difference between a typo and consistently poor grammar and spelling repeated over a number of years. One demonstrates fat fingers and the other demonstrates ignorance.

Have a nice weekend.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

;)

Yeah yeah yeah.

There IS a difference between a typo and consistently poor grammar and spelling repeated over a number of years. One demonstrates fat fingers and the other demonstrates ignorance.

Have a nice weekend.

Lol. You to.:ph34r: