ryoder

Boehner Will Resign from Congress

Are you really arguing that the Republicans didn't co-opt the Tea Party and fill it with social conservative values?

Why do all the "Tea Party favorite" candidates (all Republicans, BTW) seem more at home in a pulpit that behind a seal of office?

- Dan G

DanG

Are you really arguing that the Republicans didn't co-opt the Tea Party and fill it with social conservative values?

???
read it again
I was talking about the Pea Tardy Glibs - what is this "Tea Party" you speak of.......?

If - hypothetically - I was referring to the Tea Party takeover......

I would state that my argument is EXACTLY what they DID do. (However, I could see your misread if you only read the second half that spoke to a backup position of 'portraying' them as co-opted - but the left handled that aspect at the start before the co-opt even got going).

the last thing the two entrenched parties need is for some upstarts with popular opinions to get any traction - absorb them, pervert them, or ostracize them before they get up to speed....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

DanG

Why do all the "Tea Party favorite" candidates (all Republicans, BTW) seem more at home in a pulpit that behind a seal of office?

Really? the only true Libertarian that remained was Ron Paul - I didn't find him to be very churchy at all. But he's gone. none of the 'candidates' are claiming Tea Party status are they? I thought they are were just Reps.

so to answer the question - because the entrenched left and right wing succeeded in a major co-opt

I'll simplify for the others:

This is why we need the 'original' effort re-started under an entirely new brand name, and as Billvon notes, the new party needs to stick to its guns - and the public needs to back them up much more actively.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If - hypothetically - I was referring to the Tea Party takeover......

I would state that my argument is EXACTLY what they DID do. (However, I could see your misread if you only read the second half that spoke to a backup position of 'portraying' them as co-opted - but the left handled that aspect at the start before the co-opt even got going).

I was refering to your reply to billvon. I read it as accusing him of shallowing "The Liberal" party line that the current Tea Partires are just extreme right wing Republicans (which they are).

If I misread your intention, I apologize.

- Dan G

Really? the only true Libertarian that remained was Ron Paul - I didn't find him to be very churchy at all.

Ron and Rand Paul are very churchy. They just don't focus on it. Their opinions on abortion and euthanasia are entirely based in Christian theology.

none of the 'candidates' are claiming Tea Party status are they? I thought they are were just Reps

I don't think any of them use the "Tea Party" label, but Cruz and Rubio rode the co-opted Tea Party wave to office. They remain Tea Party favorites. Carson is also a perennial Tea Party favorite.

so to answer the question - because the entrenched left and right wing succeeded in a major co-opt

The left didn't have to do much. The right (read: Sarah Palin) did all the work for them.

This is why we need the 'original' effort re-started under an entirely new brand name, and as Billvon notes, the new party needs to stick to its guns - and the public needs to back them up much more actively.

That would be great. Even better if they promoted candidates that weren't just re-branded right wing social conservatives.

- Dan G

DanG

I don't think any of them use the "Tea Party" label, but Cruz and Rubio rode the co-opted Tea Party wave to office. They remain Tea Party favorites. Carson is also a perennial Tea Party favorite.

As always, we're good..

here's my thing -

the "original Tea Party" was about personal liberties and fiscal prudence.

TODAY's "Tea Party" after the co-opt is just the same old social right and is meaningless. It's the whole point of my initial post. So saying that Cruz or Rubio rode the "Tea Party wave", I'd submit they didn't ride the initial intent. They just are riding the social right - which they'd get regardless if the New and Crappy Rep version of today's Tea Party existed or not.

It's pretty much what co-opted means. Which we all seem to agree on. the term is pointless and any effort needs a completely unrelated label

It seems the general sentiment of personal freedoms and fiscal prudence is popular. But we don't have anyone that stands for it yet. And the fringies hate it because it weakens the power they get by handing out favors to (industries, demographics, etc etc etc)

Face it -
1 - It's completely at odds with the left philosophy
2 - It's what the right is (IMO on purpose misleading) CLAIMING to be but deep down FAILs to be.

Now, I can expect the cool aid drinkers from both sides argue how 'their party' meets the intent and the other party is pure evil....

Face it -
1 - It's completely at odds with the left philosophy
2 - It's what the right is (IMO on purpose misleading) CLAIMING to be but deep down FAILs to be.

I agree in part. I think the left does a better job with the personal freedoms side of it. They fall down on gun rights, but otherwise they are better than the right hands down. Fiscal responsibility, not so much.

I agree that the right tries to wear the mantle of personal freedom and fiscal responsibility, but falls short on both. They are all talk and no action (except gun rights).

- Dan G

DanG

I agree in part. I think the left does a better job with the personal freedoms side of it. They fall down on gun rights, but otherwise they are better than the right hands down. Fiscal responsibility, not so much.

I understand where you think that, but it's really a perspective thing.

I'm reversed in the opinion - both sides have a LOT of issues that were best left to individual choices and responsibility. Left disregards economic choice in their attempt to social engineer (freedom at another's expense is very common). The right disregards personal choice when it conflicts with the churchie fringe.

The left intrudes in a LOT more little areas (it's insidious and ratcheting). The right intrudes on fewer, but BIGGER and personal issues (it's emotional and very conflictive).

The left needs to mellow their approach and tie personal choice and freedom to individual responsibility. If they do that, I move to their camp. The right needs to get out of the social business and go full fiscal - they do that, I join their camp. Right now, my tent is on a completely different campground than they share.

DanG

Both sides are poopie heads.

20% of the left and 20% of the right disagree with you. With 5% of each really angry you say that at all and they want to take away your speech

that leaves 60% of us on your side

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/us/politics/house-speaker-vote.html

Boehner might not be able to resign for quite a while... Issue as I see it is that a lot of candidates that are up for reelection do not want to be seen voting for someone that is unable to push the agenda of defunding Obamacare and stripping PP of all of its federal funding. Reality is that neither of those initiatives are really viable right now for a lot of reasons but if they vote for someone that is "moderate" or "willing to compromise" with the democrats then they very well might be now faced with having to run in the primaries and have that as a major talking point. If they vote for someone that can not get those items pushed through then its an issue also that they appeared to have voted for a weak speaker. The GOP has a few options - find someone that can get most the party to rally behind them (getting less likely daily) - Find an interim speaker that is not going to run for reelection and let the party pick a new speaker in Jan 2017 if they keep the house (looks like this might have only a few options) - or form a caucus with the democrats and pick a Speaker that the majority of the Dems will vote for also to get them to the needed vote count (this is a long shot since anyone going this route will face a major issue for siding with the other side come reelection season)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

SkyDekker

Sounds like the Republicans are having trouble filling the position.

I think most realize the party is fucked in its current state.

It is fucked in all 58 states.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>I think most realize the party is fucked in its current state.

Yep. I think that many of them were counting on Benghazi attacks as their primary plank. Now that that's become a liability for them, and they are starting to realize that Trump isn't going away, they have a serious crisis in both leadership and goals.

billvon

>I think most realize the party is fucked in its current state.

Yep. I think that many of them were counting on Benghazi attacks as their primary plank. Now that that's become a liability for them, and they are starting to realize that Trump isn't going away, they have a serious crisis in both leadership and goals.

They need to spin off the Tea Party people, let them form their own party and move on. If they don't the party will remain absolutely paralyzed.

Anvilbrother

How is Canadas political system doing?

We are about to elect a snowboard instructor to become our next Prime Minister. His father was famous though.

Fotunately he is nowhere as crazy as Trump and Carson, your front runners on the Republican side. Trump I'll credit with just doing this for his own benefit. Carson seems downright crazy, how can that guy be second in the polls?

SkyDekker

***How is Canadas political system doing?

We are about to elect a snowboard instructor to become our next Prime Minister. His father was famous though.

Fotunately he is nowhere as crazy as Trump and Carson, your front runners on the Republican side. Trump I'll credit with just doing this for his own benefit. Carson seems downright crazy, how can that guy be second in the polls?

Well "your and republican" is not me. Do you need to see the proof?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

******How is Canadas political system doing?

Well "your and republican" is not me. Do you need to see the proof?

The flag beside your name indicates you are in America, which makes American frontrunners on the Republican side, your front runners on the Republican side.