RMK

WTF is wrong with American police?

Boomerdog

If the report is accurate, well then... try cursing back at a cop and ignoring his orders and see how that works out for you.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

kallend

... I have not seen this.
Maybe you just need to get out more.

If only you would THINK before hitting "Post Reply".

Or, GASP, it may not be as you assume it to be. Your world, and your perceptions are the end all, be all.

It takes someone with a very high developed narcissistic thought process to think it is.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

It takes someone with a very high developed narcissistic thought process

why thank you !!! :)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***It takes someone with a very high developed narcissistic thought process

why thank you !!! :)
If the glove fits.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Boomerdog

Did you notice the graph at the bottom from responses to the US Dept. of Justice police survey?

My quick take on that is that a surprising percentage of police respondents don't trust their system for reporting or disciplining abuse.

screen-grab attached

Hi John,

My quick take on that is that a surprising percentage of police respondents don't trust their system for reporting or disciplining abuse.

I noticed that also.

When you have the fox watching the hen house, it is what you would expect.

We need civilian control of all LEO dep'ts.

Jerry Baumchen

It's possible the report is accurate but I don't think the whole story and I put the link up after my first post this subject with the understanding that some of what was in the story differs form my observation and opinion. The video records someone being vulgar to the cop who does not respond directly but calls for back up probably bot because of the suspect but the potential threat posed by the bystanders.

So in a show of force a group of cops put this kid on the ground rather convincingly. What for? To show the kid and the crowd, "Don't fuck with us, you'll get the same thing too?" So now, this little incident of jay walking in the "roaring" metropolis that is Stockton, California (know the place well, I went to school there at the University of the Pacific) also makes it into the New York Times as well. My opinion for certain but the show of force used to lance a boil was tantamount to a tactical nuke...and for jaywalking.

The cops might have had every legal authority to do what they did but they lost it on moral authority and to keep the streets safe, you need both other wise respect and cooperation in the community they are supposed to "protect and serve" is lost. And given the fact that there are more citizens than cops, what then?

normiss

Not surprised given the way youth tend to react to authority harassment any authority figure at all these days.

;)

:)

***It's possible the report is accurate but I don't think the whole story and I put the link up after my first post this subject with the understanding that some of what was in the story differs form my observation and opinion. The video records someone being vulgar to the cop who does not respond directly but calls for back up probably bot because of the suspect but the potential threat posed by the bystanders.

So in a show of force a group of cops put this kid on the ground rather convincingly. What for? To show the kid and the crowd, "Don't fuck with us, you'll get the same thing too?"

I've stayed out of this, and haven't read every thread, but here goes............

It's really easy, if the kid complies with a lawful order, it's over, done, a non-event.

It's now quite the thing to disregard lawful orders, then record the ensuing provocation of the cops.

There is no nice or pretty way to use force on someone, even empty handed force or control techniques. Once resistance is encountered the use of force continuum applies. The kid takes it a step further by grabbing the baton.

Just because something is ugly, doesn't mean it isn't justified, see statement above.

I would bet there were problems reported in this area, that's why the cops were there in the first place. We have not idea what happened before the video started rolling, or what caused the situation to start.

Once the fight starts the cops are going to finish it, regardless if it's pretty or not.

It's never a good idea to fight an armed guy.............

Now flame away.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

skycop

I've stayed out of this, and haven't read every thread, but here goes............

It's really easy, if the kid complies with a lawful order, it's over, done, a non-event.

It's now quite the thing to disregard lawful orders, then record the ensuing provocation of the cops.

There is no nice or pretty way to use force on someone, even empty handed force or control techniques. Once resistance is encountered the use of force continuum applies. The kid takes it a step further by grabbing the baton.

Just because something is ugly, doesn't mean it isn't justified, see statement above.

I would bet there were problems reported in this area, that's why the cops were there in the first place. We have not idea what happened before the video started rolling, or what caused the situation to start.

Once the fight starts the cops are going to finish it, regardless if it's pretty or not.

It's never a good idea to fight an armed guy.............

Now flame away.

COMPLY OR DIE.....

Yup there is some great respect for civil and human rights and our constitution that so many officers seem to be wiping their asses with

You are seeing the alternative in many major cities, the cops back off and the violent crime rate spikes.

There are three steps;
Ask
Tell
Make

Once it makes to the "make" stage, things are seldom pretty, sad but true.

Like I said before, enjoy the higher crime rates, they are going to be around a while.

Comply or die..........hmmm...............
Hyperbole much...............?

COMPLY OR DIE.....

Yup there is some great respect for civil and human rights and our constitution that so many officers seem to be wiping their asses with

Holy shit Right!! all this time i thought this was America and we had rights. Guess we were wrong, in whose book are you the ass hole if you grab the stick you are being hit with?

Every time i see a cop act like a politician making excuses the standard bull shit line i lose more respect.

If your a cop you should be more pissed then anyone in the public, and should voice that. When you form your BLUE BROTHERHOOD you lose your integrity. You lose integrity you lose respect.

I understand EVERYONE understands there are some bad apples but when you protect your bad apples you become the same.
Every Police Department that has been caught, This is going back to the 80s the police lie and try to hide the truth. When they are convicted (when there is video that they can't destroy) they typically get a slap on the wrist.

If this is not fixed it will be bad for everyone.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

skycop

The kid takes it a step further by grabbing the baton.

Most of your post is fine, but this line stands out like a sore thumb. If anyone, LEO or otherwise, raises or swings a baton at another person, it is completely unreasonable to expect them to do anything except to try and grab the baton if they are capable of doing so.

This reaction is, frankly, completely independent of the events leading up to the situation.

Early in the video the baton is never swung, it is being used as a control device. The kid continues to refuse to comply, then grabs at the baton. The force level escalates again, it's not pretty at all, but compliance stops the situation at any point.

When one is not striking initially someone with the "club", and it is held against a combative subject, it is a control device.

When it is swung and strikes a combative subject it becomes an impact weapon.

If the guy was swinging for the fences initially, I'd agree with you. He wasn't, and didn't impact the kid until he grabbed for the baton. Even then his hands were still holding on to the baton. That's using a retention technique while striking. Once the kid stopped grabbing at the baton, the blows stopped.

Google the use of force continuum, this went by the numbers even though you (and others) may not like it.

It's appears to be an ASP or similar collapsible baton, which can be used to control arms and legs without striking them.

Again, you or I don't know what happened before the video started. But it isn't in dispute that the kid was not in compliance initially or anytime during the entire incident.

skycop

You are seeing the alternative in many major cities, the cops back off and the violent crime rate spikes.

There are three steps;
Ask
Tell
Make

Once it makes to the "make" stage, things are seldom pretty, sad but true.

Like I said before, enjoy the higher crime rates, they are going to be around a while.

Comply or die..........hmmm...............
Hyperbole much...............?[url]

How many video's do we as a people need to watch where officers shoot people who are slow to COMPLY with the BULLY with a guns ORDER before YOU realize there is a fucking problem on YOUR side of that blue line.... officer

skycop

When one is not striking initially someone with the "club", and it is held against a combative subject, it is a control device.

When it is swung and strikes a combative subject it becomes an impact weapon.

When is a club not a club? When it's a "control device".

And if you're not pulling the trigger on a gun, it's not a weapon. Got it.

Interesting way you cops have with the English language nowadays.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It is a lot easier to handcuff a resisting person without injuring them or getting injured yourself with more than less.

Very true!

It was also a hell of a lot easier to pound the living hell out of a place called Viet-Nam. We lost that one. We lost it primarily because in our attempt to win "hearts and minds" we dropped bombs on and the burned villages of the very people we tried to win the hearts and minds of. We won militarily with overwhelming force and lost politically and when the political objectives are lost, so goes the war.

A young man is jaywalking. OK...got it. Against the law, yes. Enforced, yes but probably selectively and the suspect probably figured, they're singling me out and picking on me because I'm black and I'm not going to take this anymore and yes the kid ends up getting slammed to the ground...for jaywalking. A purse snatcher or a perp carrying out a random assault warrants a body slam.

The police allege the suspect attempted to take the cop's baton from him. Does the film show that? Or if this goes to court, will an eyewitness (or for that matter many eyewitnesses) for the defense testify that they believed the suspect was attempting to take the baton to keep the cop from striking him in an act of self defense?

I'm all for law, order, and justice. There are a lot of street thugs out there who do merit the proper application of overwhelming force. In this case, however, the optics of this incident point not to street thugs but thugs with badges. The hearts and minds of "the hood" were lost and only increases the hazards of that locality for all who live there and all who have to keep order there.