RMK

WTF is wrong with American police?

I have a hard time with questions that are "what are you", rather than "how do you think"

That's the wierd thing about jury selection though isn't it? A candidate who wants on or off a jury can say anything they want about how they think and there's not a damn think you can do to show otherwise. What are they and what groups do they belong to is pretty much the only information you can have any confidence in.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

I have a hard time with questions that are "what are you", rather than "how do you think"

That's the wierd thing about jury selection though isn't it? A candidate who wants on or off a jury can say anything they want about how they think and there's not a damn think you can do to show otherwise. What are they and what groups do they belong to is pretty much the only information you can have any confidence in.

you have that right

but the other two options.

1 - take 'em randomly and no selection process to ruin that - has some scary scenarios.

2 - have a more vetted (lengthy, deeper, more expensive?) pre-screen process that creates a pool of 'qualified' jurors to select from - that can be abused/biased by pre-selecting certain social orientations to fill the pool.

I'm not sure if a fix is better than the original problem. But the current process is pretty sad when you have two countering intents trying to stack the deck with biases they think will help their case and hurt the other. And these biases based on personal, but studied, biases about demographics.

it's pretty much the antithesis of what we should strive for - a jury of unbiased intelligent people that try their best to ignore their false prejudices and let data drive decisions.

then we cap it off with closing and opening statements during trial designed to try and elicit emotional connections or reactions.....

bring on the zombie apocalypse

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

cvfd1399

So it's ok for hillary to defend a rapist that she knew did it because it's her job to do so, but as a prosecutor it's not ok for him to do his job and get a conviction by avoiding the selection of people statistically not likely to convict......?

nonsense - it's ok for the prosecutor to try and pick a horribly unbalanced jury because the expectation is that the defense will do exactly the same and their efforts are hoped to cancel each other out

it appeals to a very poor opinion of human nature (i'm not saying the opinion is incorrect, it's just sad)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

cvfd1399

So it's ok for hillary to defend a rapist that she knew did it because it's her job to do so, but as a prosecutor it's not ok for him to do his job and get a conviction by avoiding the selection of people statistically not likely to convict......?

No. But it is OK for Hillary to follow the law, do her job and defend someone she suspected but did not know was guilty. And it is not OK for a prosecutor to break the law (and by extension fail to do his job) and apply racial segregation to jury selection.

The easiest way to get out of jury duty, just say "I think the police never arrest someone who isn't guilty" or the transverse "the cops are always messing with people and charge people for no reason" Either way your excused....:D

One of my old crusty supervisors used to wear his uniform to report for jury duty, he'd just throw his hands up at the judge and say "what?". He was funny as hell anyway, the judge would just shake his head and excuse him.

In the case of my wife, she really did want to serve. Now she knows she'll never have the chance.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

normiss

You honestly think, there is a minute, remote chance, that a wife of a cop would believe a defendant's testimony above a cop???

There must be a good reason this is practiced with regularity.

Fair and balanced defense, not discrimination.

I think the prosecuting side has more than enough ways to railroad people if need be. Or black.
:)

So stereotypes aren't just fictional now then, are they?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I know that when Ive made it to void dire, LE family members are normally excused, as are people with family members currently involved with the law for similar offenses.

It was funny the time that the husband of the Houston PD chief was in the pool :|. He said he'd be thrilled to serve, but then said who he was.

What's sorry are the dumbasses who want to get on even if ineligible (I was on a jury invalidated that way), and the ones who say whatever shit comes out of their mouth to get out (pregnant wife + starving children + broken car + busy business + I think aliens were landing that day :ph34r:)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

jakee

******Sadly accurate.
:(

Not as much pride anymore.

And it was when that people didn't try and skip jury duty?

I truly wish we were back in the days when Kennedy said, ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

I truly wish we were back in the days when Kennedy said, ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.[:/]

You mean, back in the day that Kennedy felt it neccessary to ask?

Which probably means that, y'know, people weren't doing it?;)

cvfd1399

Keep using that selective memory. Incidents like I suggested you google did not happen at the severity and frequency as they do now.

When I was in high school a kid in class got up, took a claw hammer out of his bag and caved the teacher's skull in.

This was well before youtube. Didn't even get reported in the paper.

Just because you can find more information about it, doesn't mean it is happening more.

SkyDekker

***Keep using that selective memory. Incidents like I suggested you google did not happen at the severity and frequency as they do now.

When I was in high school a kid in class got up, took a claw hammer out of his bag and caved the teacher's skull in.

Just because you can find more information about it, doesn't mean it is happening more.

Was he inspired by this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Streleski
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It was a hint for those here who doubt me to get off your lazy asses and search for the studies. They are out there and prove that students are more violent towards each other and the teachers with a pronounced disregard for authority compared to the past. If you can't understand that then Ooh well disregard my posts I don't have time for your obtuseness.

ryoder

******Keep using that selective memory. Incidents like I suggested you google did not happen at the severity and frequency as they do now.

Was he inspired by this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Streleski

Probably inspired by "Maxwell Silverhammer"
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.