RMK

WTF is wrong with American police?

turtlespeed

Can we PLEASE stop referring to them as "these brave men"???
Brave men don't act this way.

These do:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/05/16/obama-award-medal-valor-13-police-officers/84429336/
It's important to remember that not all police, or even most police, are racist, ignorant fuckwits. A very few are. But most of them are dedicated, honest people who make our society a better place.

UNFORTUNATELY a substantial fraction of the dedicated, honest ones fail to report the bad apples, or even cover-up for them.

So you are a cop hater too?

Fascinating application of Looking Glass logic there. Have you been taking lessons from rushmc?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>UNFORTUNATELY a substantial fraction of the dedicated, honest ones fail to
>report the bad apples, or even cover-up for them.

Right. But again, those are in the minority.

Less than 1% of cops are violent racists who will act on their beliefs.

Perhaps 10% are racists of some sort who are far too smart to act on that, and still do a good job.

Perhaps 30% are in no way racist but will always protect their partner no matter what he does, including shooting unarmed people for no reason.

Perhaps 60% are in no way racist, are excellent police officers and would never defend another cop who does something criminal.

The less than 1% should be (and often are) dismissed, prosecuted and given jail sentences, as it should be.

The 30% listed above are where we can have an impact with public protests and demonstrations against police coverups - AND support for cops who are willing to come forward and do what's right.

billvon

...Perhaps 30% are in no way racist but will always protect their partner no matter what he does, including shooting unarmed people for no reason.

I think history has shown that figure to be significantly higher than 30%.

Take the MacDonald shooting in Chicago for example. How many cops were on scene? How many saw the video? How many signed off on the report that it was a "good shoot"? (73 IIRC on that one).

How many stepped forward and said that there was a problem with it?

One. And he did so anonymously.

While Chicago probably isn't in line with the "norm" for this, given it's very long history of this sort of thing, the reality is that most cops will cover for their "brother".

Maybe not "no matter what he does, including shooting unarmed people for no reason", but they cover each other.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

billvon

>I think history has shown that figure to be significantly higher than 30%.

In some places. But overall, throughout the US, I believe it is far less than 50%.

Well, if we are talking percentages, here is an article I read a couple weeks ago written by a black former cop: http://www.vox.com/2015/5/28/8661977/race-police-officer

On any given day, in any police department in the nation, 15 percent of officers will do the right thing no matter what is happening. Fifteen percent of officers will abuse their authority at every opportunity. The remaining 70 percent could go either way depending on whom they are working with.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi Bill,

Less than 1% of cops are violent racists who will act on their beliefs.

The real problem IMO is that the union will protect them until the very end. We need to dismantle all police unions. LEO's are supposed to be public servants.

And that 1% includes more than just racists.

I like our men in blue; I just do not like some of the things that they do, i.e., protect that 'fellow officer' no matter what.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

We need to dismantle all police unions. LEO's are supposed to be public servants.

public unions of all kinds should be dismantled

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The real problem IMO is that the union will protect them until the very end. We need to dismantle all police unions. LEO's are supposed to be public servants.

I always found it odd that "public sector unions" are constantly demonized by people who support police unions.

ETA: Except rehmwa. He's cool.

- Dan G

ryoder

***>I think history has shown that figure to be significantly higher than 30%.

In some places. But overall, throughout the US, I believe it is far less than 50%.

Well, if we are talking percentages, here is an article I read a couple weeks ago written by a black former cop: http://www.vox.com/2015/5/28/8661977/race-police-officer

On any given day, in any police department in the nation, 15 percent of officers will do the right thing no matter what is happening. Fifteen percent of officers will abuse their authority at every opportunity. The remaining 70 percent could go either way depending on whom they are working with.

87.65432984759% of all statistics are based on nothing but an opinion.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

JerryBaumchen

Hi turtle,

87.65432984759% of all statistics are based . . .

And once again your post adds nothing to the discussion.

But hey, the post count is waaaay up.

Jerry Baumchen

LMAO - And yours added WHAT to the discussion? Besides to try to mock, belittle, and show oneupsmanship? Please.

At least mine was on point.
There is no way you could measure the percentages that he was spouting.

Yogi Berra had more credibility with percentages.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

This is good news and a step in the right direction.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/walter-scott-police-shooting_us_5a296288e4b03ece0300a697

So finally it's acknowledged that shooting someone in the back (multiple times) while they are running away from you is not self defence.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"