RMK

WTF is wrong with American police?

cvfd1399

Well you will never have zero thats just an unobtainable dream. No one here is calling 1 or more ok, but 35 of about 18,000 is not the end of the world like this never ending thread reads.

Does it sound worse if you say it's 35 police departments that have jurisdiction over more than twenty million american citizens?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Bullshit. This administration had been sicking them left and right. Look at the Furgeson shooting. There was a shot inside the car over a fight for the officers weapon, a cop with injuries to the face, a clear case and they got investigated.

Not at all saying the 35 on the list are angels, but to measure the level of our troubles against the willingness to investigate to appease the liberal anti-cop masses is a joke.

It's funny. Talk about institutional racism in policing and conservatives just cry 'race card, race card, the suspects are always doing something wrong, you're just looking for an excuse to feel victimised!' Talk about the policing of Police Departments and conservatives cry 'they're not doing anything wrong, it's all political! You're just victimising us!' It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

So to quote our frequent conservative commentators on here - Ferguson PD is no Boy Scout.

normiss

Those facial injuries were false.
I thought that was made clear in that discussion.

Just like usual you are wrong. Let me make it clear to you now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/24/darren-wilson-injury-photos_n_6216208.html

Although its not Rhonda Rousey level of injury it is evidence to prove the story along with the gun powder residue and the shot inside the car.

DanG

So, at what level does it become a problem?

Some people would say that one bad cop, or one corrupt agency is too many.

Ya know. No keep asking that same question, irt terrorism.

Evidently it isn't a problem.

So when does it become one?

How many killed or injured before it should be address?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Ya know. No keep asking that same question, irt terrorism.

Evidently it isn't a problem.

OK, right, here's the thing. Global terrorism is not something that can be directly controlled, nor is a lot of it in your jurisdiction, or your responsibility, or directly affects you.

What is in our collective spheres of responsibility, control etc as citizens of our respective nations is the functioning of our apparatuses of government. How you can be so blasé about the widespread corruption and mismanagement among these departments when for any branch of government or civil service other than the police or the military you'd be frothing at the mouth for far, far less is beyond me.

normiss

If anyone is paying attention, there is a HUGE walkout in Chicago now calling for the mayor to resign.
From what I'm seeing on a Chicago news station, they are basically shutting the city down.
Damn.

Thanks for letting me know, otherwise I would never have noticed.

(IOW, I think that report is exaggerated - they are trying to shut down City Hall, but the city is rather bigger than City Hall. Well, a whole lot bigger).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

gowlerk

***Bullshit. This administration had been sicking them left and right. Look at the Furgeson shooting. There was a shot inside the car over a fight for the officers weapon, a cop with injuries to the face, a clear case and they got investigated.

Not at all saying the 35 on the list are angels, but to measure the level of our troubles against the willingness to investigate to appease the liberal anti-cop masses is a joke.

Your anger at the desire to hold police accountable for their actions is a joke. Liberals like me are not anti cop. , nor are the masses. We are anti police abusing their powers.

We all understand that the thin blue line is needed to stand between civilization and anarchy. And we all bleed and feel pain when one of them pays the price in performing their duty.

But there can be no denying that a small subset of officers are attracted to the job for the wrong reasons. There can also be no denying that minorities in general, and black people in particular have been the targets of discriminatory policing by some.

Liberals, and even some conservatives want to use the modern tools available to prevent inappropriate police behavior and to remove police who are not professional in their actions.

In the Ferguson case it is pretty clear to objective people that Darren Wilson was not guilty of wrong doing other than the way he started the interaction with Micheal Brown. In my mind Brown was the author of his own misfortune. But it is just as true that the subsequent investigation revealed a systemically racist civic government with a police department to match.

I also find the slogan "black lives matter" to be an unfortunate choice. There is simply a word missing from it. It's there in the subtext, but people are refusing to acknowledge that fact. The real meaning of the slogan is "black lives matter too". If you read it that way, which is the idea it is intended to put across, you will find little to offend you.

We need police to keep the streets safe. We need oversight of the police to keep them professional. All anyone is asking is for the police to be professionals.

I find it very hard not to agree with a lot of this. You stated it very well.

When backup arrived on the scene, Feaster did not mention anything about having fired his weapon. According to Ramsey, Feaster notified his commanding officer about the discharge only after Thomas’ gunshot wound was found.

As the commanding officer suggested an investigator return to Canteena and try to find out if Thomas had been shot at the bar, Feaster revealed that he may have shot Thomas.

Ramsey said nearly 11 minutes passed before any other officers, medics or firefighters learned Thomas had been shot.

If shooting him in the first place wasn't criminally negligent, what the hell does that count as?

PhreeZone

I saw this yesterday.
It boggles my mind: ", accidents happen".:S
At the very least, this cop needs to never be allowed to carry a gun again, since he can't even manage to not shoot when there is no justification.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Here was one from 2014 but the video just turned up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-Xg-Ga1a8 Cop accidentally shoots his partner then blames the handcuffed suspect. Shot officer then shoots multiple times into the suspects back and chest and then the officers sit on the suspect until he passes away.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

SkyDekker

You have to wonder how many people have been murdered by police and swept under the carpet, before video become so widely available.

I can't find the quote online anywhere, but a week or so ago there was a Chicago city council member who said that she has believed for a long time that the cops can kill anyone they want with impunity. Even if it's cold blooded murder, the rest of the police will cover it up. (This was on WBBM news radio).

It's not just murder they cover up, either. An off duty cop beat the shit out of a female bartender a couple years ago. The rest of the department covered it up.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/chicago-police-found-guilty-covering-bartender-beating/story?id=17716840

And cops covering up the misdeeds of other cops isn't confined to Chicago.
Two cops in Cincinnati covered up an off duty Sergeant's drunk driving accident. And got caught.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/12/17/officer-pleads-crash-led-cover-up-charges/77477182/
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

PhreeZone

Here was one from 2014 but the video just turned up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-Xg-Ga1a8 Cop accidentally shoots his partner then blames the handcuffed suspect. Shot officer then shoots multiple times into the suspects back and chest and then the officers sit on the suspect until he passes away.

Story to go with the video: http://www.ocweekly.com/news/new-video-footage-shows-noel-aguilar-shot-from-behind-by-la-county-sheriff-deputy-in-long-beach-6844726
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

From my son:

There's a theory about policing called 'Broken Windows'. Probably over-simplified, it says that policing minor violations in communities means that problems are addressed before they become major, and so big crime doesn't become a problem.
On the way home from my dad's Boxing Day dinner tonight, I followed a police car for over a mile, and it rolled through three stop lights without even slowing down. No flashers or sirens to indicate any sort of emergency, he just didn't feel like it.
Maybe the reason our police seem to behave as though the law doesn't apply to them when it comes to big things, like shooting people, is because they're conditioned to believe that the law doesn't apply to them with the small things like stop signs. Maybe some effort should be spent fixing their own broken windows.

I have certainly noticed that police cars routinely ignore stop signs and red lights even when clearly not on an emergency.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

From my son:

There's a theory about policing called 'Broken Windows'. Probably over-simplified, it says that policing minor violations in communities means that problems are addressed before they become major, and so big crime doesn't become a problem.
On the way home from my dad's Boxing Day dinner tonight, I followed a police car for over a mile, and it rolled through three stop lights without even slowing down. No flashers or sirens to indicate any sort of emergency, he just didn't feel like it.
Maybe the reason our police seem to behave as though the law doesn't apply to them when it comes to big things, like shooting people, is because they're conditioned to believe that the law doesn't apply to them with the small things like stop signs. Maybe some effort should be spent fixing their own broken windows.

I have certainly noticed that police cars routinely ignore stop signs and red lights even when clearly not on an emergency.

I definitely see this. And it's happening more and more with the general populace too.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Police correctly and legally do not always use lights even when going to a justifiable emergency as an initial officer or as a backup unit. I will describe this in greater detail in a bit as I don't have time at the moment.

What also gets me is when people complain about officers being out of their jurisdiction in their unit. There are many many reasons to be out of your area but on official business. Court, radio shop, turning in confiscated plates to the DMV, police supply, fuel depot, etc.

Hi cvfd,

when people complain about officers being out of their jurisdiction in their unit

In/out of jurisdiction was a propblem here in Oregon.

So they changed things: All LEO's in Oregon go thru the same State of Oregon police academy. And the result of that is that any LEO in Oregon has jurisdiction throughout the entire state, no matter where they are employed.

That seems to work quite well here.

Jerry Baumchen