RMK

WTF is wrong with American police?

normiss

13 months since he shot him.
ONE DAY before the legal deadline to release the video and only now is he charged?
Something just doesn't gybe.
:P

I'm curious how many of the "Good Cops" saw this video.

How many of them spoke up about his crime?
Why didn't the leadership of Chicago (the whole town, not just the cops) speak out about this homicide? They certainly are quick to "call for action" about other ones.

Oh, yeah. Because it was a cop doing the shooting. So it was because "he was attacked" and was "in fear for his life" and because "he just wanted to go home at the end of his shift"
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

cvfd1399

***What in the world could the United States Postal Service do to assist me with the theft of a private business shipping service item?
:S:S
Again, reading comprehension actually matters.

No your ignorance of how it all works is what matters here.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/type-pi-%E2%80%94-us-postal-inspectors-%E2%80%94-delivers-goods

That doesn’t just apply to parcels sent by the U.S. Postal Service — federal statute gives them jurisdiction to investigate when suspect items are sent via private carriers like FedEx and United Parcel Service.

The U.S. Postal "system" exists beyond the actual delivery by USPS to your house. The "system" includes places where mail is stored such as, mailboxes, bins, or any other location commonly used to place mail. As well as different carriers such as FexEX and UPS. You probably did not know that USPS delivers amazon prime only on sundays, and that private carriers(fedex UPS) deliver overflow FOR the USPS every day.

http://www.criminal-lawyers-miami.com/lawyer-attorney-1570582.html

In order for a mail fraud case to be prosecuted successfully the government must prove that the activity was in fact some type of scheme using the Postal Service to defraud victims. Also, the defendant accused of such a crime must have the specific intent of defrauding a victim in such a case. Finally, it must be shown that the subject in the case used the U. S. Postal Service or commercial couriers such as FedEx etc. which have been included in the federal law.

And to the other poster you are right it is such a small issue that it wasn't really necessary to involve the USPIS but it could have been available if this was a higher level of crime.

Before you start highlighting ignorance, you may want to do some more digging. Both the cases you highlight here have no relevance to the situation communicated by normiss.

It was neither a suspect item shipped through a courier, nor could it be labeled as mail fraud.

It was theft (or maybe attempted theft) of an item contained within a private courier envelope/box.

Opening USPS mail addressed to somebody else is a crime, but does that extend to private couriers? If that is the case, you are correct. If not, than you end up being the one showing the ignorance.

kallend

******gybe

:ph34r:

No sailors in Iowa/Minnesota?

I'll refer you to the other thread where we had fun with this word and variations and one offs of it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The video: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/11/24/3725633/laquan-mcdonald-shooting-video/

It was a fucking execution.

BTW Skip the first 5 minutes. It is just a car driving through town on the way to the scene.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

The video: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/11/24/3725633/laquan-mcdonald-shooting-video/

BTW Skip the first 5 minutes. It is just a car driving through town on the way to the scene.

I saw a video on TV news of someone being shot (once with a 9mm) for refusing to drop a knife, and considered it a display of rank amateurism on the part of the cop. A taser would have done the trick with no risk to law enforcement of the population, and I know a few cops who would have disarmed the hell out of the guy with a PR-24.

This incident was downright obscene.

One round to drop the kid would have been excessive. Using his prostrate body for target practice thereafter should land the badge carrying perp behind bars for the rest of his life.

Anyone who participated in protecting the criminal in blue should become a civilian immediately. This is the kind of behavior that gives third world law enforcement a bad name.

BSBD,

Winsor

And yet up till now the cops were still claiming that the kid 'lunged' at the officer when they knew it was a lie.

The same officer perp who faced no disciplinary action whatsoever even after another of his victims won a $350k excessive force lawsuit that originated in a traffic stop for a missing plate.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

winsor

***The video: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/11/24/3725633/laquan-mcdonald-shooting-video/

I saw a video on TV news of someone being shot (once with a 9mm) for refusing to drop a knife, and considered it a display of rank amateurism on the part of the cop. A taser would have done the trick with no risk to law enforcement of the population, and I know a few cops who would have disarmed the hell out of the guy with a PR-24.

One round to drop the kid would have been excessive. Using his prostrate body for target practice thereafter should land the badge carrying perp behind bars for the rest of his life.

Anyone who participated in protecting the criminal in blue should become a civilian immediately. This is the kind of behavior that gives third world law enforcement a bad name.

BSBD,

Winsor

State prosecutor should be charged too, that whole side of the system has been trying to protect this cop for as long as they could.

Indeed. This crap goes all the way up to the mayor.

Craig Futterman (referenced in my last link) was interviewed on NPR this morning. He talked to a witness who had been picked up by police, taken to the station, put in a locked room for hours of intimidation to convince them they didn't see what they saw.

And the Burger King has multiple cameras. A cop went in there immediately afterward to erase their video, so there is no video of the incident. But ironically, one of their cameras got video of the cop erasing the incident video.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

winsor

***The video: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/11/24/3725633/laquan-mcdonald-shooting-video/

BSBD,

Winsor

that's my take on it too

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"“The real issue here is, this terrible thing happened, how did our governmental institutions respond?” Kalven said. “And from everything we’ve learned, compulsively at every level, from the cops on the scene to the highest levels of government, they responded by circling the wagons and by fabricating a narrative that they knew was completely false.” To him this response is “part of a systemic problem” and preserves “the underlying conditions that allow abuse and shield abuse.”"

And this is why, and I hope SkyCop is reading, the refrain of "a few bad apples" rings so false.

Every cop who was there, and every cop who was involved as the case went up the chain of command is guilty of obstruction of justice. One action by one bad cop immediately generates an organised criminal conspiracy within the department and it's just business as usual.

jakee

"“The real issue here is, this terrible thing happened, how did our governmental institutions respond?” Kalven said. “And from everything we’ve learned, compulsively at every level, from the cops on the scene to the highest levels of government, they responded by circling the wagons and by fabricating a narrative that they knew was completely false.” To him this response is “part of a systemic problem” and preserves “the underlying conditions that allow abuse and shield abuse.”"

And this is why, and I hope SkyCop is reading, the refrain of "a few bad apples" rings so false.

Every cop who was there, and every cop who was involved as the case went up the chain of command is guilty of obstruction of justice. One action by one bad cop immediately generates an organised criminal conspiracy within the department and it's just business as usual.

Which has been going on for decades. Only now that video of the incidents become public is some attention given to this.

The behavior of most police forces is simply no different than the behavior of most large crime organizations. Those who speak up get punished. You are expected to back up your "brother", whether you agree with his actions or not. The inner workings of the department are not discussed with outsiders.

Same guiding principles are behind the Mafia, 1% MCs, Drug Cartels, the list goes on and on.

It is a simple extortion racket. Since any discussion of looking into their actions is usually met with "oh but the whole city will be unsafe and violence will rise if we do anything different".

Basically pay your protection money.....or else.

ryoder

Indeed. This crap goes all the way up to the mayor.

Craig Futterman (referenced in my last link) was interviewed on NPR this morning. He talked to a witness who had been picked up by police, taken to the station, put in a locked room for hours of intimidation to convince them they didn't see what they saw.

And the Burger King has multiple cameras. A cop went in there immediately afterward to erase their video, so there is no video of the incident. But ironically, one of their cameras got video of the cop erasing the incident video.

So clearing out a browser history is "obstruction of justice", but erasing incriminating video isn't?

Hmmm...

And Jakee is right.

Where are all those who defend this sort of shit as "one Bad Apple" (Skycop, Promise5, the sockpuppet twins, ect)?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Two things about that, first it's unbelievable how brazen that is. If it would be difficult to discipline the other officers who were there (if anyone in authority actually gave a fuck) since 'it was dark, everything happened fast, I reported what I thought I saw' etc then surely this should be a slam dunk firing and prosecution?

Second, corruption breeds corruption - even if it's well intentioned. When every officer involved is willing to look the other way on an unlawful killing, what else will they be willing to overlook for a brother officer - particularly when they know from experience that the hierarchy is more interested in cover-ups than disciplinary action. Also these actions can provide a hook to be exploited by officers who are abusing their position in a more calculated, systematic way. Hypothetically maybe one day this officer is asked to do something beyond the pale, even for him, and tries to refuse. Then it's 'well hey Officer Dave, the thing is we know what you did with the surveillance tapes and it's suck for your career if the wrong people found out about it, so why not just play along?'

jakee

Two things about that, first it's unbelievable how brazen that is. If it would be difficult to discipline the other officers who were there (if anyone in authority actually gave a fuck) since 'it was dark, everything happened fast, I reported what I thought I saw' etc then surely this should be a slam dunk firing and prosecution?

You would think...but these guys I don't think have been prosecuted yet at all:

https://youtu.be/JTKTfUHfeKM

SkyDekker

I'm still curious about that;
Was there a separate hidden camera *and* hidden VCR the cops didn't know about?

ryoder

I'm still curious about that;
Was there a separate hidden camera *and* hidden VCR the cops didn't know about?

The raid was this year. Who uses VCRs for security anymore? Probably the ham fisted Keystone Kops removed an obsolete VCR and completely missed the small wireless bluetooth camera and HD system.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.