RMK

WTF is wrong with American police?

RMK

Reading through some numbers/quotes and one stands out:

The US police have killed more people this month (March 2015) than the UK police have, in entirety, since the year 1900.

...damn.

Yes, there is a population difference of 320million (US) vs. 65million (UK), but 4 weeks compared to 115 years is substantial by any viewpoint.

The UK must not be having a war against drugs.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Not at thing !!!!!

Maybe instead of making sweeping judgements about our police departments you would do a little more research. But then you probably trust EVERYTHING you see on the news as pure fact!!

It's always funny when someone from another country decides to "school" citizens of another country on their country.

I would think you have enough problems of your own to worry about in your own country to worry about ours.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

I lived in the US for near 20yrs; I'm guessing that's not much difference from the amount of time you have yourself.

I've also lived in Europe and Asia; so I do have some first-hand comparisons of what works and doesn't.

Your go...
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

promise5

Not at thing !!!!!

Maybe instead of making sweeping judgements about our police departments you would do a little more research. But then you probably trust EVERYTHING you see on the news as pure fact!!

It's always funny when someone from another country decides to "school" citizens of another country on their country.

I would think you have enough problems of your own to worry about in your own country to worry about ours.

So which item of information are you claiming is incorrect? The number of people killed by US cops, or the number killed by UK cops?

Show us your own research on these numbers, since you are so sure his numbers are wrong.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It doesn't matter how long you've lived here or how many other countries you've lived in.

What matters is that you should look at your countries own problems before condemning another persons.

I work in EMS and have police officers as relatives along with being from a very large military family.
Believe me I tried.

I'm not concerning myself with UK police.
As far as using the term "killed" and the statistics behind them, how about going into a little more detail as far as how many were in self defense.

It's disgusting the way those that have not done the job then stand up and make such blanket statements.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

I'm not concerning myself with UK police.

Translation - you cannot deny his numbers so you try lamely to change the subject in order to justify your denial that there's a problem in the USA.

I live in the USA and I believe his numbers represent reality.

kallend

***I'm not concerning myself with UK police.

Translation - you cannot deny his numbers so you try lamely to change the subject in order to justify your denial that there's a problem in the USA.

Situational reality?
Perceived reality? (That is what you describe)
Biased reality?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

promise5

It doesn't matter how long you've lived here or how many other countries you've lived in.

What matters is that you should look at your countries own problems before condemning another persons.

I work in EMS and have police officers as relatives along with being from a very large military family.

Great. Then you above all people should be offended and concerned when the police overstep their authority and hurt or kill people instead of "Protect and Serve" them as they swear to do.

If you are saying that there are no bad cops, or that the cops never overstep their authority or that they have never murdered any innocent people, then you are incredibly naive. Or deliberately obtuse.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I never claimed that there aren't "bad" cops but do I believe it's the problem people make it out to be? No I don't. There tons of videos out there that scream police brutality or murder, but few that tell the complete story BEFORE they started filming. But again it's that " Monday morning quarterback " thing that seems to come into play more then facts. But then people well say the facts are biased of they are in favor of the officer.
Again, before people start saying what's wrong with our law enforcement that should walk in their shoes or have family that does.

NOTHING is wrong with our law enforcement.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

I never claimed that there aren't "bad" cops but do I believe it's the problem people make it out to be? No I don't. There tons of videos out there that scream police brutality or murder, but few that tell the complete story BEFORE they started filming. But again it's that " Monday morning quarterback " thing that seems to come into play more then facts. But then people well say the facts are biased of they are in favor of the officer.
Again, before people start saying what's wrong with our law enforcement that should walk in their shoes or have family that does.

That is pretty broad. I would say there are some serious issues, but no more than the public in general. Perhaps some more, but not by much.

There is always a bad person around somewhere. It goes without saying that some of those bad people slip by the vetting process.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Apples meet oranges..........
We live in an armed society, a heavily armed one.

Millions of police contacts, many of them armed and under very difficult circumstances, ones you won't read about or just see a small blurb on the local news.

I said this before, and I'll say it again.
To a person, every European cop I've ever met thinks we are crazy, they can't wrap their head around dealing with an armed society on a regular basis. They also shake their heads at the amount of rights our suspects get.
Fight the police in some of the places I've been, and you get what you get.

Ind. sheriff’s department, black motorist reconcile after viral arrest video

The two released a joint statement on the incident

Today at 2:33 PM

By PoliceOne Staff

VALPARAISO, Ind. — The subjects of an August arrest that went viral have released a statement they said resolved the incident amicably, WBEZ reported.

Porter County Sheriff David Reynolds, Valparaiso Mayor Jon Costas and resident Darryl Jackson, Jr. released a joint statement detailing how they will learn and move forward from the interaction.

"The strength of a community is tested by its ability to work through tough issues in a spirit of understanding and respect," Costas said in the statement. "Together, we can and will lead by example, and through our efforts this city and this county will continue to be known as places of peace and prosperity for all people."

The Aug. 29 incident began when 24-year-old Jackson was arrested in a predominantly white, affluent neighborhood for failing to identify himself. He was parked and waiting for a friend to come out of their home when police approached him.

The dash cam footage showed Jackson resisting arrest and asking the officer why he was being targeted. The arresting officer was part of a gang task force and was cleared by Reynolds of any wrongdoing.

After prosecutors declined to press charges, Costas publicly questioned the actions of the arresting officer. In the following days, groups on both sides were angered and tensions rose. The issue was at the forefront of last month’s city Advisory Human Relations Council meeting.

The statement was a collaborative effort to find a resolution from all sides.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for officers of the law, but I am not perfect," Jackson said in the statement. "On the evening of August the 29th, 2015, my flaws presented themselves in a way that I was unaware was even possible. During my interaction with Officer Lucas and the other officers on the gang task force, I was overcome with fear, which led me to act in ways that I regret."

Reynolds accepted Jackson’s apology and wrote one of his own.

"The truth is, we know that we can do better too," Reynolds wrote in the statement. "I have always believed that every interaction with citizens is important and that my department has an obligation to be tactically sound, critically aware, and constructively engaged with the communities we serve."

As a result of the statement, the sheriff has promised to hold quarterly dialogues with people in the community. He wants to work towards better equipping his officers to understand implicit biases and their effect on their job.

If more problems were solved like this, we'd all be better off.

Unfortunately in our litigious society and with the polarization of both sides and the advent of internet armchair experts, this is the exception rather than the norm.

Hopefully it becomes the norm.
Sometimes policing ain't pretty, but if all sides take a deep breath, problems can be solved amicably while still disagreeing.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

promise5

Bullshit. There's PLENTY wrong with our law enforcement.

It's just becoming more and more apparent lately because just about everyone now has video capability in their pocket. It's no longer the citizen's word against the cop, where the citizen was rarely believed and the cop almost always was.

Look at the consent decree that the LAPD operated under after the Rodney King incident and it's aftermath.

Read "Serpico" and realize how endemic the corruption in the NYPD was. It's better now, but there's still a long way to go.

Take a look at the Chicago PD and their history of corruption, including mob figures as Chief in some of the suburbs.

The "bad apples" are relatively few. But they tarnish the entire profession. And the proven fact that the good cops will cover for the bad ones makes it worse.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Bullcrap!!

Take the thousand of stops or arrests that are made each day across the US and people are asking "what's wrong with your police".

What crap!!!
But I guess people rather "blanket" judge then look at the true reality of what goes on day day after. Or rather where NOTHING goes on day after day.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

Bullcrap!!

Take the thousand of stops or arrests that are made each day across the US and people are asking "what's wrong with your police".

What crap!!!
But I guess people rather "blanket" judge then look at the true reality of what goes on day day after. Or rather where NOTHING goes on day after day.

So what percentage of stops that end up with the murder of an innocent citizen (or even the murder of a guilty one) is acceptable to you?

Or, as has been going around on FB, how many little old ladies getting their tires changed makes up for shooting an unarmed man in the back?

Or does it not matter to you because the people getting killed aren't like you?

promise5

Bullcrap!!

It's quite sad that the USA has become a de facto police state. Didn't use to be like that, before the "war on drugs".

promise5

Aren't like me????

Oh please explain how these people"aren't like me"
Because then true ignorance might come into the discussion.

I will lay odds you get the little sister treatment as one of THE ORDER.... not the treatment that most people get as NOT ONE OF US.:S

Perhaps you are incapable of seeing that... until someday it bites you when you get around someone who does not know you in your world.[:/]

More normal police work.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Chicago-Police-Officers-Save-Baby-Choking-on-Candy-327184901.html#

I vow to submit link for link a case of an officer doing good for every one of your bad. Only for the purposes of showing the other side. Let's not turn this place into more of a circlejerk than it already is.