JerryBaumchen

It's getting nutier out there

>Takes apart a simple plug-in alarm clock and puts in it a pencil box.

In other words - acts like a kid.

>First teacher he shows it to says put it away and don't show anyone else.

>Plugs it back in, in a different class, and purposefully sets it to beep and go off.

In other words - acts like a kid.

>Claims to be an inventor, and says he "solders CPU's"....what a fucking idiot.

In other words - acts like a kid. The same day someone in the same school probably claimed that their brother was a Navy SEAL because he was in the Navy. But unless his name was Mohamed Bin Laden, no one would care - because that's what kids do.

If his name WAS Mohamed Bin Laden, he would likely get a similar ration of shit for "trying to get a reaction by deliberately lying about the brave men and women who fight people like him in blah blah blah."

>Has anyone else soldered a CPU and had it work?!

Yes, dozens of times. What does that have to do with anything?

>Maybe hate is a strong word, but he was asking for a reaction. Whether it
>was an overboard reaction or not, he deserved it.

What would you do if a kid showed you a "cellphone" he had made out of a string and two cans? If he was arrested and detained, would he have deserved it because he was lying and just wanted attention?

JohnnyMarko

Bill, I'm almost in 100% agreeance with all your posts, but please, this 14 year old had to know what he was getting into. And sadly in this day in age, the school and authorities can't take this shit lightly.

Wait a minute. Do you really mean to say that the kid should have anticipated that the teacher would worry that his effing pencil case clock might be a bomb? Really? Give your head a shake.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

>Bill, I'm almost in 100% agreeance with all your posts, but please, this 14
>year old had to know what he was getting into.

I have zero doubt that if this student had been named Ashley McDonald, she would have been given a pat on the back and been encouraged to enter it in a science fair (where she would have probably lost, because it's not all that great of a project.) And her family would have gotten a note from her teacher along the lines of "Ashley is showing initiative in her projects for school. Keep encouraging her!"

>And sadly in this day in age, the school and authorities can't take this shit lightly.

This day and age, where we are safer than we have ever been from violent crimes?

I understand that lots of people are afraid of a lot of things. That does not give them license to behave like ignorant assholes, even if the kid's last name is Mohamed.

JohnnyMarko

Bill, I'm almost in 100% agreeance with all your posts, but please, this 14 year old had to know what he was getting into. And sadly in this day in age, the school and authorities can't take this shit lightly.

A 14 year old is exactly the wrong age to appreciate how paranoid adults around him might be about people with the name Muhammad and what they are or aren't capable of taking lightly.

And to your previous question, yes. CPUs, micro controllers, chipset controllers, DSPs...

I had a malfunctioning 20 year old copy of the original legend of Zelda for the NES that involved a soldering iron to fix a few years ago and it works fine now. I made the part replaceable this time so in another 20 years I can just pop in a new one :)

I had a malfunctioning 20 year old copy of the original legend of Zelda for the NES that involved a soldering iron to fix a few years ago and it works fine now. I made the part replaceable this time so in another 20 years I can just pop in a new one

You just did that to get attention. You didn't "make" that NES. All you did was attach some components together that someone else made.

- Dan G

billvon

>Bill, I'm almost in 100% agreeance with all your posts, but please, this 14
>year old had to know what he was getting into.

I have zero doubt that if this student had been named Ashley McDonald, she would have been given a pat on the back and been encouraged to enter it in a science fair (where she would have probably lost, because it's not all that great of a project.) And her family would have gotten a note from her teacher along the lines of "Ashley is showing initiative in her projects for school. Keep encouraging her!"

>And sadly in this day in age, the school and authorities can't take this shit lightly.

This day and age, where we are safer than we have ever been from violent crimes?

I understand that lots of people are afraid of a lot of things. That does not give them license to behave like ignorant assholes, even if the kid's last name is Mohamed.

What about if her name was Ashley McVey?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

mirage62

In the old days the first teacher would have complimented the kid, taken the "bomb" and put it in her desk drawer and told him to pick it up after school.

End of issue.

but in today's society, that would be considered theft, and the teacher would be branded a bigot, and had to move to another state to avoid persecution.

Once the kid made the device, or assembled the device, and brought it to school, the options for getting the situation resolved reasonably decreased exponentially with every action the kid took.

1). Many many options were still available when he simply brought it to school
2) that decreased when he showed it to the teacher.
3). When he didn't heed the teachers instructions, the decreases many more times.
4). When he deliberately plugged it in, and set the alarm, the decreased to a very few options.
5). The school handled the issue poorly. But they had few options and as humans, over reacted.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

DanG

I had a malfunctioning 20 year old copy of the original legend of Zelda for the NES that involved a soldering iron to fix a few years ago and it works fine now. I made the part replaceable this time so in another 20 years I can just pop in a new one

You just did that to get attention. You didn't "make" that NES. All you did was attach some components together that someone else made.

One thing for sure, is that he didn't invent it.

But, I want to see what would happen if he took the NES apart, and reassembled it in a pencil case, and brought it to a school, and dropped it off at the office.

But, I want to see what would happen if he took the NES apart, and reassembled it in a pencil case, and brought it to a school, and dropped it off at the office.

Since he's a grown man, and he doesn't go to high school, he'd probably be detained.

If a student brought it to his own school, I'd hope that nothing would happen beside a very cursory inquiry to the kid about what the device was. If the kid doesn't immediately respond, or does something terrifying like setting of a clock alarm, I would hope the teacher would unplug the thing, take it, and at worst write the kid up for detention for disobeying the teacher. No where in there do the police need to be called.

What I don't understand about this whole thing is that the very people constantly complaining about the pussification of America and the same people who think what the school and police did was correct. As a nation we need to cowboy the fuck up.

- Dan G

DanG wrote:
I really don't understand the hatred of that kid.

Nor do I. It's not like he asked to be arrested and held in detention. It was stupid teachers and cops who did that.

Any fame that he has is due only to the incredible stupidity of the school and the local cops.

Do you know who his father is, and have you added that into the equation?

turtlespeed

***In the old days the first teacher would have complimented the kid, taken the "bomb" and put it in her desk drawer and told him to pick it up after school.

End of issue.

but in today's society, that would be considered theft, and the teacher would be branded a bigot, and had to move to another state to avoid persecution.

Nonsense.

Once the kid made the device, or assembled the device, and brought it to school, the options for getting the situation resolved reasonably decreased exponentially with every action the kid took.

1). Many many options were still available when he simply brought it to school
2) that decreased when he showed it to the teacher.
3). When he didn't heed the teachers instructions, the decreases many more times.
4). When he deliberately plugged it in, and set the alarm, the decreased to a very few options.
5). The school handled the issue poorly. But they had few options and as humans, over reacted.

It's remarkable how the hate-Islam, hate-Obama folks twist themselves in knots over this.

If it's so OBVIOUS from pictures just a clock that the kid put in a case, why did the teacher not recognize it as such when seeing it in the flesh? If it was a reasonable suspicion that it was something novel the kid made that wasn't a clock, why all the whining that the kid was invited to the White House for just putting a clock in a case?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Southsidedvr

DanG wrote:
I really don't understand the hatred of that kid.

Nor do I. It's not like he asked to be arrested and held in detention. It was stupid teachers and cops who did that.

Any fame that he has is due only to the incredible stupidity of the school and the local cops.

Do you know who his father is, and have you added that into the equation?

I for sure don't know who YOU are, since you post anonymously.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Southsidedvr

? And I have no clue who you are.... My response was a prod for you to read about the father if you did not know about him yet and see if you get the hunch like I did that this was motivated by his political present and past. My apologies.

Why don't you just give us a link to whatever right wingnut website is filling you up with this nonsense? Or at least give us a name we could Google. Your post hints at accusations, but has nothing to back it up, and no references. Very trollish.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***? And I have no clue who you are.... My response was a prod for you to read about the father if you did not know about him yet and see if you get the hunch like I did that this was motivated by his political present and past. My apologies.

Why don't you just give us a link to whatever right wingnut website is filling you up with this nonsense? Or at least give us a name we could Google. Your post hints at accusations, but has nothing to back it up, and no references. Very trollish.

Jesus you guys are not very welcoming here I have been accused of being a troll and a wingunt in one day. I have no issues with the kid or anything else, I was just trying to bring up a discussion of the kids past and family and how it could relate to the issue. I am laid up in bed for cellulitis and figured I could use a break from the tv and have a discussion.

This is what I have read about his family and they were into education sciences, and his father was/is a politician who once ran for president multiple times in Sudan and will try again in 2020.

I am sorry for upsetting you all I will move on from now on thanks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/09/22/ahmed-mohamed-texas-sudan-family_n_8176702.html

***"Unlike YOU, I don't post anonymously. If you can't figure out who I am, then your internet skills are sadly deficient."

? Do you have to submit your USPA card to get verified here? If so please provide the link and I will get it to whoever needs it or you can call me if you need to. I am not understanding where you are coming from with the gruffness in your comments. If I am not allowed here let me know. Thanks

>Do you have to submit your USPA card to get verified here?

Nope. A name would be nice, but not required. So is region. However, if you provide absolutely nothing in the way of personal information, expect people to be skeptical of your posts - at least until you prove that you're a real poster (i.e. someone who will stick around, who will post consistent material, who isn't here just to troll etc.)

At least now I have an idea what you are getting at. Speakers Corner gets to be a rough place with a lot of distrust. It's often very political and the subject of your post, combined with your anonymity, made me suspect an agenda. But a very undefined one.

To answer your question, I for one did not consider his father. I doubt anyone at the school, or the police did either. The chances of any of those people knowing anything at all about Sudanese politics is very small. His father is a business man who through hard work now owns some car rental outlets in Texas. He worked for awhile as a cabbie. If you are implying that the child was trying for the reaction he got, I find that implausible. But not impossible, children do the damnedest things sometimes.

Get well soon.

brenthutch

Updated pic of clock

Pretty impressive bit of engineering, electrifying a wind-up clock.

I'm sure he will discover that coin batteries have better energy density than the bundle he used for this design, but hey, he's only a school kid.