JerryBaumchen

It's getting nutier out there

kallend

As they were in my day.

However, I don't recall anyone jumping to the conclusion that my (or my friends') electronic projects were bombs based on no evidence, which was the point expressed in the part you chose not to quote in your reply.

You do have to admit however that times have changed slightly.

Whether we like it or not we live in a period which is much more aware / paranoid about the possibility of deliberate terrorism, and instructions are much easier to come by on the internet than it used to be.

I can certainly see that if ANY student brought in a bunch of electronics with a counter attached to it and then refused to talk about it with a teacher then that would set alarm bells ringing.

Was the response over the top? Maybe. But what if it HAD been a bomb and some kid had just blown up a school after showing the device around and nobody said anything - the outcry would be a hundred times worse than it is now.

At best the kid made a dumb error in judgement. I did similar when I was his age. I'm also not discounting the possibility that he deliberately wanted a prank or attention - again, because I did the same when I was younger.

yoink

But what if it HAD been a bomb and some kid had just blown up a school after showing the device around and nobody said anything - the outcry would be a hundred times worse than it is now.

Is the kid hypothetically a comic book super villain or something? Who builds a bomb with the intention of setting it off in a public place but first shows it off to numerous authority figures?

yoink

As they were in my day.

However, I don't recall anyone jumping to the conclusion that my (or my friends') electronic projects were bombs based on no evidence, which was the point expressed in the part you chose not to quote in your reply.

You do have to admit however that times have changed slightly.

Whether we like it or not we live in a period which is much more aware / paranoid about the possibility of deliberate terrorism, and instructions are much easier to come by on the internet than it used to be.

I can certainly see that if ANY student brought in a bunch of electronics with a counter attached to it and then refused to talk about it with a teacher then that would set alarm bells ringing.

Was the response over the top? Maybe. But what if it HAD been a bomb and some kid had just blown up a school after showing the device around and nobody said anything - the outcry would be a hundred times worse than it is now.

At best the kid made a dumb error in judgement. I did similar when I was his age. I'm also not discounting the possibility that he deliberately wanted a prank or attention - again, because I did the same when I was younger.

While I agree that times have changed, and caution (and overreaction) are much more common, I don't recall seeing anywhere that he "refused to talk about it." He explained that it was a clock. They kept asking what it was and he kept saying it was a clock. A teacher who has no clue what a bomb looks like, outside of bad TV was suspicious.

And it spiraled out of control from there.

The school wasn't evacuated. The bomb squad wasn't called. The kid never made any threats, or even showed it off in a threatening way. Apparently, it "beeped" and the teacher wanted to know what made the noise.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

While I agree that times have changed, and caution (and overreaction) are much more common, I don't recall seeing anywhere that he "refused to talk about it." He explained that it was a clock. They kept asking what it was and he kept saying it was a clock. A teacher who has no clue what a bomb looks like, outside of bad TV was suspicious.

The school wasn't evacuated. The bomb squad wasn't called. The kid never made any threats, or even showed it off in a threatening way. Apparently, it "beeped" and the teacher wanted to know what made the noise.

See post #75.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

See post #75.

I guess I don't consider a NBA team owner on a discussion panel show to be that authoritative. (not trying to be snarky, I just don't like Mark Cuban all that much).

NPR story:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/16/440820557/high-school-student-shows-off-homemade-clock-gets-handcuffed

He told the teacher "That doesn't look like a bomb to me" and while it says:

"He would simply only tell us that it was a clock," police spokesman James McLellan says. "He didn't offer an explanation as to what it was for, why he created this device, why he brought it to school."

What teenage kid can offer a good reason/excuse for a lot of stuff that they do?

And once you have the principal, cops, all that, leaning over you, demanding an explanation, the kid is going to be intimidated to the point that he won't be able to give a "good explanation", whether he had one or not.

I honestly don't know if racism was a factor. But it's easy to assume.

Maybe the teacher over-reacted, maybe not.

But the cops certainly did. Anyone with any experience or training can clearly see that it's not a bomb. As I posted above, no detonator, no explosives, no shrapnel. Just a circuit board, a lot of wires and a digital display.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

What you have here is a failure to use brainpower.

On one hand you have a young STEM oriented student

On the other hand you have people that are not even sure what STEM means.

Throw in the name Mohammed in TEXAS and you get a result that is not too hard to imagine.

What was that discussion of what the Texas School Book board and its repercussions we had back couple months ago. Preparing students to live in the 19th century and not in the 21st has repercussions.

Ain't 'Murica grand???:S

Amazon

What you have here is a failure to use brainpower.

*Puts hand up

I had to google it, and I have A-levels in Physics, Chemistry and Biology, and degrees in Artificial Intelligence and Neuroscience. :D

Acronyms are a bitch.

yoink

***What you have here is a failure to use brainpower.

*Puts hand up

I had to google it, and I have A-levels in Physics, Chemistry and Biology, and degrees in Artificial Intelligence and Neuroscience. :D

Acronyms are a bitch.

And so am I....;)

Want to bet the kids English teacher and the cops were more interested in HS and their college football than studying....????

>Unknown suspicious device/potential threat documented procedure.

OK, show me an incident where they did something similar for a new model of laptop computer.

>If blonde Ashley brought in a phone with a "cool colored wires and sparkly pink
> painted road flares" case would expect she'd receive the same treatment.

Show me an example. Since sparkly cellphones with fashionable lanyards and all sorts of headset wiring coming out of them are a big thing in schools now, shouldn't be hard at all.

>Was the response over the top? Maybe. But what if it HAD been a bomb and
>some kid had just blown up a school after showing the device around and
>nobody said anything - the outcry would be a hundred times worse than it is
>now.

Ironically, if he had used a gun instead of a bomb, the outcry would immediately be "the gun had NOTHING to do with it! Why go after law abiding people for the actions of a terrorist? Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Focus on the problem, not the device." But since there are no big well-funded digital clock lobbies . . . . .

billvon

>Was the response over the top? Maybe. But what if it HAD been a bomb and
>some kid had just blown up a school after showing the device around and
>nobody said anything - the outcry would be a hundred times worse than it is
>now.

Ironically, if he had used a gun instead of a bomb, the outcry would immediately be "the gun had NOTHING to do with it! Why go after law abiding people for the actions of a terrorist? Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Focus on the problem, not the device." But since there are no big well-funded digital clock lobbies . . . . .

Never heard of a bomb being used for self defense. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I'd really like to know why someone wouldn't automatically see all three of the pictured items as non threatening, and welcome, nay, encourage thier arrival at every school for show and tell.

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Did you have any STEM classes that actually had labs....???? seriously....

I was breadboarding electronics that worked back in the 70's and 80's....

I wonder if any of those cops ever did any.... doubt it.... mesomorphs rarely pay attention to anything cerebral.:S

Pay cash when you buy your 2600 magazine, and also use cash only at the electronics parts stores. :P:)
Skycraft in Orlando even has old NASA gear, dummy bombs, trajectory processors, and damn near anything you would require to build an electronic clock or.....
That teacher would shit themself seeing what electronic geeks play with.
Odd, none of it is harmless except the possible risk of damaging the silicon with poor design.
Is that a clock? Explain clock please.

Amazon

I wonder if any of those cops ever did any.... doubt it.... mesomorphs rarely pay attention to anything cerebral.:S

Ohh come on!! Could you turn it down a little.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Amazon

In that case, let's do an experiment.

Build a nice clean electronic clock that looks like something similar the teenager hobbled together, and walk into a classroom and open it up. See what the first reaction you get is. 1st stipulation is that the class teacher you approach may not be spoken to, or any of his questions answered prior to you opening the case.

We'll wait.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

But thats not a bomb either. A bomb needs explosives, now i know we might not see them under the chips, but it would be small amounts.

It wont matter to argue about it anyhow because as said, its not a bomb.

http://symbioticpublishing.com/Malta.html

Its a "Honeywell security sales demo kit"

About in the middle of the page.

Kadde

But thats not a bomb either. A bomb needs explosives, now i know we might not see them under the chips, but it would be small amounts.

It wont matter to argue about it anyhow because as said, its not a bomb.

http://symbioticpublishing.com/Malta.html

Its a "Honeywell security sales demo kit"

About in the middle of the page.

That's interesting.
So if someone brought that into your child's school, you'd be ok with that.

Kadde

Im gonna say yes because i did the same thing when i was a kid.

I find this whole thing absurd at a level beyond my english vocabulary.

Gee ya think?????

I am not quite sure how to dumb down my answers any further for the "challenged" among us.

Amazon

***Im gonna say yes because i did the same thing when i was a kid.

I find this whole thing absurd at a level beyond my english vocabulary.

Gee ya think?????

I am not quite sure how to dumb down my answers any further for the "challenged" among us.

Do you know how to we a server without using a cloth?

What do you think the previous secretary of state would have likely thought this was?

Be honest.

And remember, she thinks wiping a server includes cloth and cleaning supplies.