JerryBaumchen

It's getting nutier out there

jakee

Would it do what?

You kinda got lost in your sentence there...

Are people so convinced it's racism that no evidence/explanation will change their mind?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>So would any evidence to the contrary such as their documented procedures,
>escalation requirements, and for possible threats or do you still believe Michael
>Brown was innocent too?

Not sure what the question was in that statement or what Michael Brown has to do with it. However:

If you can show me a documented procedure they have in terms of how to handle a clock threat, then I will retract my statement and apologize.

billvon

>So would any evidence to the contrary such as their documented procedures,
>escalation requirements, and for possible threats or do you still believe Michael
>Brown was innocent too?

Not sure what the question was in that statement or what Michael Brown has to do with it. However:

If you can show me a documented procedure they have in terms of how to handle a clock threat, then I will retract my statement and apologize.

Unknown suspicious device/potential threat documented procedure. Once it was initially assessed wrongly as one, they were likely locked by their process to go through all the steps, including police involvement. The police likely had the same process they had to follow too for calls where they were contacted for unknown suspicious device/potential threat.

If blonde Ashley brought in a phone with a "cool colored wires and sparkly pink painted road flares" case would expect she'd receive the same treatment.

But she'd probably not get to meet the president. :P

That's crap. Had they actually been locked "in by their process", they would certainly have called the bomb squad and evacuated the school.
Instead, they handcuffed the kid, and kept him and his terrorist clock bomb in a room. Together. With staff.

Bolas

...If blonde Ashley brought in a phone with a "cool colored wires and sparkly pink painted road flares" case would expect she'd receive the same treatment...

Bolding mine.

If "blonde Ashley" (or anyone else) brought a "device" that had road flares (look like dynamite), modelling clay (looks like C-4), a glass jar containing a yellowish oily liquid (nitroglycerin), or even a closed, opaque container that could potentially contain explosives, it would be a different story.

It was a clock. Nothing else. No detonator (fake or real), no explosive material (again fake or real), no shrapnel material, no nothing.

Except a big digital time display.

Which, as Quade pointed out (along with about a bazillion other people) will be confused with a bomb only by people whose entire EOD training consists of watching 24.
After all, it had a black wire and a red wire. Cutting the red wire disarms it and cutting the black wire detonates it...

Or is it the other way around?:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

normiss

That's crap. Had they actually been locked "in by their process", they would certainly have called the bomb squad and evacuated the school.
Instead, they handcuffed the kid, and kept him and his terrorist clock bomb in a room. Together. With staff.

You mean they didn't know it was a bomb, but also didn't know it wasn't so they removed the suspicious package and it's owner from the other children and watched/detained them pending further investigation?

Suppose you think when a cop calls for backup on a traffic stop, SWAT should just be dispatched too.

Hear a fire alarm? Better just evacuate.

Neither of us have seen their procedures for suspicious packages/situations however I'm guessing that while they're not allowed to dismiss a threat entirely, it's likely they're allowed to use measured response to a certain degree.

wolfriverjoe

...If blonde Ashley brought in a phone with a "cool colored wires and sparkly pink painted road flares" case would expect she'd receive the same treatment...

Bolding mine.

If "blonde Ashley" (or anyone else) brought a "device" that had road flares (look like dynamite), modelling clay (looks like C-4), a glass jar containing a yellowish oily liquid (nitroglycerin), or even a closed, opaque container that could potentially contain explosives, it would be a different story.

Agreed. That may warrant immediate evacuation. This didn't, but was still an unknown suspicious device.

It was a clock. Nothing else. No detonator (fake or real), no explosive material (again fake or real), no shrapnel material, no nothing.

Except a big digital time display.

Which, as Quade pointed out (along with about a bazillion other people) will be confused with a bomb only by people whose entire EOD training consists of watching 24.
After all, it had a black wire and a red wire. Cutting the red wire disarms it and cutting the black wire detonates it...

Or is it the other way around?:P

http://blogs.artvoice.com/techvoice/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/clock1.jpg

Yes, it turned out to be just a clock but can easily see why it was suspiciously viewed. And until they were absolutely certain...

normiss

Given that standard police protocol in response to a simple suspected package is the bomb squad, why is it different here when it was a suspected bomb.
Boolshit. That's why.

But neither you nor I know the school's protocol.

Sad that in this day and age, before any additional info/evidence, people love to throw the racism card.

Even sadder that there are those out there that even when proven something was not racially motivated (Michael Brown) just ignore those facts.

jakee

... likely... likely... would expect...

I'm sorry, I thought you said evidence?

Do you have any evidence that it was racially motivated?

Bolas

***That's crap. Had they actually been locked "in by their process", they would certainly have called the bomb squad and evacuated the school.

You mean they didn't know it was a bomb, but also didn't know it wasn't so they removed the suspicious package and it's owner from the other children and watched/detained them pending further investigation?

Anyone with more than half a brain could see that it wasn't a bomb. Apparently that seems to exclude a lot of folks involved in this event.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Bolas

He has supposition, and it fits his world view. What else do you want from him?
On a side note, It is common knowledge that Racists see racists everywhere.

And . . . BTW . . . http://toprightnewscom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/clocks.jpg
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

billvon

> If you actually look at the clock there is no way he made that.

It's obvious that he took the guts of an old clock and put it in a new case - which is about what I would expect a somewhat bright 14 year old kid to be able to do.

Really at 14 I was able to etch my own circuit boards and assemble some semi complicated projects. Repackaging something would have been cheating in my eyes at the time.
Although at 14 I had all ready rebuilt 2 v8 engines also, one Chevy and one Ford.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

kallend

Anyone with more than half a brain could see that it wasn't a bomb. Apparently that seems to exclude a lot of folks involved in this event.

Right...Elementary school teachers should be expected to know what a bomb does or does not look like, but it's absurd to expect a U.S Secretary of State to know that wiping her private email server doesn't include using a cloth.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Bolas

Would any evidence that it was racially motivated change your mind, or are all police beatdowns of coloured people acceptable to you?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

kallend

Anyone with more than half a brain could see that it wasn't a bomb.

That's neither here nor there. You can simply refer to it as a "hoax device" or something of that nature and just like that it's terrifying and wrong to have brought in to school again.

Coreeece

***Anyone with more than half a brain could see that it wasn't a bomb. Apparently that seems to exclude a lot of folks involved in this event.

Right...Elementary school teachers should be expected to know what a bomb does or does not look like,

It was high school, NOT elementary.

Despite that, last time I checked even elementary school teachers had to have graduated from college. And the police department certainly should know.

Except, I guess, in Irving, TX.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Here is an excerpt from last night Bill Maher show.
In particular, listen to what Mark Cuban says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGit-XltUB4

Apparently, the kid had taken it to several classes w/o incident, but for whatever reason, (shyness, or didn't like that particular teacher?), he wouldn't talk to the teacher, who subsequently raised the fuss.

Also, for those who may have skipped over it, here is Anvilbrother's link again, showing all the kid did was pull out the guts of an old Radioshack clock, and stuff them into a pencil case: http://blogs.artvoice.com/techvoice/2015/09/17/reverse-engineering-ahmed-mohameds-clock-and-ourselves/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

...showing all the kid did was pull out the guts of an old Radioshack clock, and stuff them into a pencil case...

Every introduction to programming begins with, "Hello, World."
The first lesson of Arduino is, "Blinky."
The first electric circuit most people make is a battery, two pieces of wire, and a light bulb.

EVERYONE has to start somewhere.

If "all the kid did" was anything whatsoever it was a start beyond doing nothing whatsoever.

Do we need to be impressed by it? No. Not really.

But, we need to encourage kids to fiddle around with pieces and parts. Maybe this kid's path isn't circuit designer. Maybe this kid's path eventually leads to industrial design and fitting other people's work into cases. Who knows? Maybe the kid ends up being Jony Ive.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

jakee

Would any evidence that it was racially motivated change your mind, or are all police beatdowns of coloured people acceptable to you?

I have an open mind. Until there's explanation and evidence try not to jump to the worst thoughts of people.