JerryBaumchen

It's getting nutier out there

Hi folks,

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/texas-teen-arrested-after-bringing-homemade-clock-school-n428356

He gets arrested for bringing a home-made clock to school.

Maybe the LEO's should have stayed awake in their science classes.

From Pres. Obama: Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great.

From H. Clinton: Assumptions and fear don't keep us safe—they hold us back. Ahmed, stay curious and keep building.

OK haters, it's your turn.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi folks,

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/texas-teen-arrested-after-bringing-homemade-clock-school-n428356

He gets arrested for bringing a home-made clock to school.

Maybe the LEO's should have stayed awake in their science classes.

From Pres. Obama: Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great.

From H. Clinton: Assumptions and fear don't keep us safe—they hold us back. Ahmed, stay curious and keep building.

OK haters, it's your turn.

Jerry Baumchen

Who are these haters you post about?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I was suspended for 3 days for brining a beeper to 7th grade. It had no battery, battery cover, had been partially ran over by a car. I only kept it because it had a $10 reward for returning it to the pager company and wanted to show a friend.

Stupid zero tolerance rules that says anyone with a beeper is a drug dealer>:(:S

The best part is they told him they suspected it as a bomb but did not evacuate the school, only brought him to the office and called the cops. That right there in court ought to get the school laughed out the door.

Hopefully the kid wins enough money for private school and college.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Iago

***I was suspended for 3 days for brining a beeper to 7th grade. It had no battery, battery cover, had been partially ran over by a car. I only kept it because it had a $10 reward for returning it to the pager company and wanted to show a friend.

Stupid zero tolerance rules that says anyone with a beeper is a drug dealer>:(:S

The best part is they told him they suspected it as a bomb but did not evacuate the school, only brought him to the office and called the cops. That right there in court ought to get the school laughed out the door.

Hopefully the kid wins enough money for private school and college.

Zero tolerance = zero thought.

I wonder - as cynical as I am - there could have been a motive.

I wonder if this was a set up, and the consequences known, and the point made.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

If Texas teachers are unable to tell the difference between a bomb and a clock, it's probably safe to assume they were also educated in Texas.
Also of note, why was the bomb squad never activated?
;)
Because Texas I suppose.
:S

Hey, they're the people who elected Ted Cruz to Congress. It all makes sense.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Anvilbrother

That's cute where did you steal that from I have recently read that same exact comment including the reference to "24".

No. You have not read that "exact same comment."

I wrote it on the spot.

That said, I am damn near certain more than a few people today have made similar comments like it because it's FUCKING OBVIOUS and there's this phenomenon known as simultaneous invention.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

muff528

I know everyone's beating up on Texas now, but this happened in NYC.

That show was GREAT!:D
And very topical;
That episode was inspired by this news story from a year earlier: http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20067027,00.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***I know everyone's beating up on Texas now, but this happened in NYC.

And very topical;
That episode was inspired by this news story from a year earlier: http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20067027,00.html

Thanks, didn't know that! Yes, great show and one of my favorites. Very well written and never really went stale. Very few shows now are at that level of writing and wit. Now they seem to revert to badly written slapstick and non-funny vulgarity. (Nothing wrong with well-written vulgarity, though. :)

ryoder

***I know everyone's beating up on Texas now, but this happened in NYC.

And very topical;

Here he is today:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-aristotle-phillips/1/399/7a1

>I wonder - as cynical as I am - there could have been a motive.

I suspect he wanted to enter his Sharia Clock in a science competition and steal first place from a deserving Christian.

Come to think of it - why should Christian judges have to go against their religion and judge a Sharia Clock? Hasn't this Muslim extremist ever heard of the US Constitution?

billvon

>I wonder - as cynical as I am - there could have been a motive.

I suspect he wanted to enter his Sharia Clock in a science competition and steal first place from a deserving Christian.

Come to think of it - why should Christian judges have to go against their religion and judge a Sharia Clock? Hasn't this Muslim extremist ever heard of the US Constitution?

I think you misunderstand.
I wonder if he received the exact reaction he was looking for.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

DanG

I wonder if he received the exact reaction he was looking for.

Gimme a break.

It's not incomprehensible, like those idiots that walk the streets, legally, with a legal firearm, and then record and publish the responses on YouTube.

It's not incomprehensible, like those idiots that walk the streets, legally, with a legal firearm, and then record and publish the responses on YouTube.

It's not imcomprehensible, but it's quite a stretch.

If he was trying to get arrested, don't you think he would have made the clock look more like a bomb? How could he have predicted that the school and police would overreact to such a crazy degree?

Implying that is was a set-up just helps people dismiss the problems, whicch are zero tolerance policies, anti-Muslim paranoia, and our ever increasing police state.

- Dan G

The picture of the nerdy kid wearing glasses, a NASA t-shirt, and handcuffs is priceless.

I made a couple posts about my thoughts on "fake bombs" eight years ago here, and my thoughts haven't changed much. If you want to prevent an attack of some sort you do have to empower people to report things they find suspicious. That we seem to have in spades. Now we need to work on better understanding that this will lead to false alarms, and get a hell of a lot better at ramping down reactions to them. The, "oh shit! it's happening!!!1one!" response seems to be very contagious, and people go all wing attack plan R when they tell the next level of authority what's happening.

Gotta love it when half of the depressed part of town gets shut down for 8 hours because someone left their lunch at the bus stop.
Who seriously believes that shit?
Pick the worst part of a small unknown city to attack?
Lol
Like a school in Texas?
:S

DanG

Pick the worst part of a small unknown city to attack?
Lol
Like a school in Texas?

Maybe it was a failed part of Jade Helm. Obama can't even bomb a middle school in Texas without fucking it up.

See, we can agree.
Obama would fuck it up.