masterblaster72

Paging Christelsabine, Ibx, Mpohl (aka Germany WTF)

What is going on in your otherwise orderly and prosperous country? Is Merkel out of her mind creating this giant pull factor that's bringing hundreds of thousands (potentially millions) of asylum seekers and migrants to your country by foot and by train?

And what's with the sudden 180-degree turn today with the border controls and the realization that *perhaps* it's a better idea to fund the refugee camps in Syria instead? Are Germans finally waking up to the realization that maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all?

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

ryoder

Maybe so, but this is a piss-poor way to get it done. No country is built to handle this many people coming in such a short time.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

masterblaster72

Maybe so, but this is a piss-poor way to get it done. No country is built to handle this many people coming in such a short time.

It also makes you wonder if within that flood of refuges how many might be some of those great humanitarians of ISIS/ISIL/DAESH imbedded into the group trying to exit and get back to their own countries to create havoc.>:(

Amazon

It also makes you wonder if within that flood of refuges how many might be some of those great humanitarians of ISIS/ISIL/DAESH imbedded into the group trying to exit and get back to their own countries to create havoc.>:(

I'm going to guess "not too many."

The route the refugees take is long, arduous and uncertain.

The kind of journey you don't take if you have any other options.

For Daesh to infiltrate the west, it would be a lot (a hell of a lot) easier to sneak into Jordan or Lebanon and go to Europe as a tourist or business traveler.
They have the money to pay for the documents and transportation.

They are also getting a fair number of recruits from the west. It wouldn't be too hard for them to tell a few to "Stay there and we'll help you take the battle to your homeland."
Of course, the level of competence that is going to go for a Daesh recruitment isn't all that high.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

And what's with the sudden 180-degree turn today with the border controls and the realization that *perhaps* it's a better idea to fund the refugee camps in Syria instead? Are Germans finally waking up to the realization that maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all?

I think they are completely overwhelmed with the situation. I also think that Merkels politics is generally reactionary and opportunistic. At the moment the Germans are feeling really welcommy towards all the refugees and without the major help of all the volunteers the whole thing would look way worse than it is. Merkel is using this for popularity.
Now the powers that be are very scared that at a certain point the majority population will turn against the refugees and Merkel wants to on the one hand stop that from happening and on the other stop the really pissed off people from running to right wing partys.
And you are completely right, the way the current refugee system is set up, it cannot handle that many people by a long shot.

This will also lead to big conflicts within our society when integration fails miserably again.

christelsabine

The EU has to find the best solution - anyway, the leading countries. I'm sure, they'll succeed, setbacks included.

For me as a German, DZ.com is not the place to discuss our actual events over here.

:)

funny, you're always so willing to talk about America's problems over there....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Iago

***The EU has to find the best solution - anyway, the leading countries. I'm sure, they'll succeed, setbacks included.

For me as a German, DZ.com is not the place to discuss our actual events over here.

And why not?

Considering that in the past you have always been quick to use DZ.COM to criticize what happens in the Western world, why not clue us in on what is happening across the pond?

I mean that in a nice way. I really, really mean that. We don't know what is happening in Germany. We would like to know, but we only get a trickle of information from CNN.

I'm really, really sorry for you beeing so poorly informed ...., and w/o the internet, you must be lost! Oh, wait ... :P

JFI:
I do have my critical view on what's happening on this side of the pond, as I'm still travelling a lot all over the word. But, that does not mean I am obliged to share all my (personal) opinions with others - especially, as most responses to posts I made in the past predominantly went in a certain direction. :|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

christelsabine

******The EU has to find the best solution - anyway, the leading countries. I'm sure, they'll succeed, setbacks included.

And why not?

Considering that in the past you have always been quick to use DZ.COM to criticize what happens in the Western world, why not clue us in on what is happening across the pond?

I mean that in a nice way. I really, really mean that. We don't know what is happening in Germany. We would like to know, but we only get a trickle of information from CNN.

I'm really, really sorry for you beeing so poorly informed ...., and w/o the internet, you must be lost! Oh, wait ... :P

JFI:
I do have my critical view on what's happening on this side of the pond, as I'm still travelling a lot all over the word. But, that does not mean I am obliged to share all my (personal) opinions with others - especially, as most responses to posts I made in the past predominantly went in a certain direction. :|

To translate

I will stick my nose in your business but
keep your nose the hell out of my business

Priceless[:/]
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

*********The EU has to find the best solution - anyway, the leading countries. I'm sure, they'll succeed, setbacks included.

And why not?

JFI:

To translate

So your sticking your nose into womens issues does not count.... got it.

Well, let's see.

Bush and Cheney lie their way into a war for the benefit of Halliburton (etc.) shareholders. Most European countries oppose it and get the "if you aren't with us you're against us", "cheese eating surrender monkey" and "freedom fries" treatment.

The war and its aftermath is so mismanaged by Bush's point guy Paul Bremer that a monster (ISIS/ISIL) is created.

Leading to a refugee crisis.

That Europe is now supposed to deal with because the GOP wouldn't want any of those nasty A-Rabs over here.

That about sums it up.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

christelsabine

Sorry, you don't have a choice. Deal with it. :)
What? I made my choice. No personal comments about actual events. Deal with it.

(Perhaps, I misunderstood your post deliberately? :P)

You just don't have a choice but to SEE the posts calling "you" people out. Of course, it's your choice to respond or not.

You're still stuck with us. Deal with it. :)
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Amazon

That is just as likely to happen as the same wonderful human beings crossing the borders here.

According to most of the left here, it is close to impossible.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

christelsabine

Did I miss a thing? I do not remember having signed a contract to post on DZ.com, just take the freedom to decide by myself when and where to post.

Not your biz.

There are a lot of things that are not your biz either

but you stick your nose in there

Not that I really care but it is reveling
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

christelsabine

You know the dropzone.com website is located in British Columbia, and managed by a South African, right?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

You know the dropzone.com website is located in British Columbia, and managed by a South African, right?

The irony score is pretty freakin high, as much as the German crew has to say about other countries, yet get offended when just one question is brought up about their Mother Land.:D:D:D

So offended that they can't even discuss the issue at all.
Simply state that the same place they choose to criticize everyone else isn't suitable for discussions of their own situations.:ph34r:

Thanks for showing your true self.

Very enlightening.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

ryoder

Oh my [:/] How long do you think I'm posting here? I knew quite from the beginning; and there still is *utrace* for beginners :ph34r:

dudeist skydiver # 3105

masterblaster72

What is going on in your otherwise orderly and prosperous country? Is Merkel out of her mind creating this giant pull factor that's bringing hundreds of thousands (potentially millions) of asylum seekers and migrants to your country by foot and by train?

Germany has been the root cause of much larger refugee problems than this within the time period of living memory. Makes me believe in Karma.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

kallend

Well, let's see.

Bush and Cheney lie their way into a war for the benefit of Halliburton (etc.) shareholders. Most European countries oppose it and get the "if you aren't with us you're against us", "cheese eating surrender monkey" and "freedom fries" treatment.

The war and its aftermath is so mismanaged by Bush's point guy Paul Bremer that a monster (ISIS/ISIL) is created.

Leading to a refugee crisis.

That Europe is now supposed to deal with because the GOP wouldn't want any of those nasty A-Rabs over here.

That about sums it up.

That is rather narrow viewed and selective.

We no doubt left IRAQ a shit show, but the vacuum in Syria, aided by our inaction, and bullshit red lines, also played a huge roll in the creation of ISIL/ISIS.

In other words, Hopey Changey also has some blame to shoulder.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

ibx

I think they are completely overwhelmed with the situation. I also think that Merkels politics is generally reactionary and opportunistic. At the moment the Germans are feeling really welcommy towards all the refugees and without the major help of all the volunteers the whole thing would look way worse than it is. Merkel is using this for popularity.
Now the powers that be are very scared that at a certain point the majority population will turn against the refugees and Merkel wants to on the one hand stop that from happening and on the other stop the really pissed off people from running to right wing partys.
And you are completely right, the way the current refugee system is set up, it cannot handle that many people by a long shot.

This will also lead to big conflicts within our society when integration fails miserably again.

Thanks for the insight that we English speakers don't often get in our media. That's a point of view I haven't heard, and I've been reading a lot on the topic.

Northern European countries tend to get a lot of things right -- but I don't think it will be long before Germans and Swedes regret being so welcoming. I mean, 1 MILLION refugees, and that's just the estimate for this year. This figure goes way beyond what the 1951 UN Refugee Convention intended to address.

I see this situation as a deeply problematic one, on many levels.