turtlespeed

God must be really pissed off at islam

Reads like "bad weather."

Don't know if it was heavy winds that took it down or soft ground due to the heavy rains. I'm guessing they don't know either.
Since it's the Saudis, we may never know.

The "Hajj" starts soon. There's usually at least one good stampede and a couple fires in the tent cities.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

turtlespeed

***Is a crane collapse an "act of god" or just shitty engineering?

winsor

There's a difference?

christelsabine

Yes. :S

What, exactly, is that difference?

Well let's be honest...it's doubtful she actually comprehended the offense in the first place.

But yes...it's not so much the "shitty engineering" as it is the act of God to give us the choice to engineer shittingly, if we choose...and apparently, we chose...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

As one who has investigated crane collapses in a professional capacity, my experience is that the majority are due to overload or other operational error rather than poor engineering.

Clearly each situation is unique.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Coreeece

******Is a crane collapse an "act of god" or just shitty engineering?

winsor

There's a difference?

christelsabine

Yes. :S

What, exactly, is that difference?

Well let's be honest...it's doubtful she actually comprehended the offense in the first place.

But yes...it's not so much the "shitty engineering" as it is the act of God to give us the choice to engineer shittingly, if we choose...and apparently, we chose...

The wind was an act of God, was it not?

Or does wind have free will also?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

He only gets credit for good, we aren't allowed to point out all the bad he does in the world.
You're gonna get kicked out of church with that attitude young man.

Ok, so God knows how many hairs every person has on his body, but works in mysterious ways, and is the end all be all, but only when it is good, he doesn't do anything wrong, and is also gender specific.

All of that, but feels the need to kill about a hundred Muslims to show that he's not spiteful, but instead to gently teach us a lesson in engineering.

Gotcha.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

kallend

As one who has investigated crane collapses in a professional capacity, my experience is that the majority are due to overload or other operational error rather than poor engineering.

Operator error is my bet as well. Either the crane was in use when it shouldn't have been, or the supporting structure wasn't engineered properly.

From memory isn't there a 50kph limit on tower crane operation unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer?
From what I've seen on the interwebs (so it must be true!) Mecca was getting sustained winds of around 40kph that day. It's not hard to believe they got some big gusts...

Phil1111

I heard wind gusts to 66kph and would speculate that the last operator didn't allow the crane to weathervane when he left it.

Also speculating that that mistake would be an act of some God or another.

1) It was an act of God, because everything done is of God.
2) it was an act of terrorism
3) there is no God, and it was simply a chain of events that ended in tragedy.
4) Zeus smited those people with Athena by his side and was cheered on by Poseidon.
5) the Flying Spaghetti Monster wrapped a pasta tentacle around the crane as a giant joke.

yoink

***As one who has investigated crane collapses in a professional capacity, my experience is that the majority are due to overload or other operational error rather than poor engineering.

Operator error is my bet as well. Either the crane was in use when it shouldn't have been, or the supporting structure wasn't engineered properly.

From memory isn't there a 50kph limit on tower crane operation unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer?
From what I've seen on the interwebs (so it must be true!) Mecca was getting sustained winds of around 40kph that day. It's not hard to believe they got some big gusts...
It was not a tower crane.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

******As one who has investigated crane collapses in a professional capacity, my experience is that the majority are due to overload or other operational error rather than poor engineering.

It was not a tower crane.
While every crane failure is unique, this rather famous incident makes interesting reading, since wind was involved. One of my faculty colleagues was an investigator on this one:

failures.wikispaces.com/Big+Blue+Crane+Collapse

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Anvilbrother

No because God does not exist, and all these threads only exist to cleverly bash those that do believe.

Well except for those that seek to proselytize and witness incessantly and tend to over share their particular evangelical faith. I do believe we have seen just a few threads like that from certain posters.