Calvin19

Denali win.

airdvr

I live just outside of Canton, McKinley's hometown. With everything that's fucked up in the world today who gives a flying fuck what they call the mountain. Personally, I've always thought the guys who named a mountain range "Big Tits" were probably fun to hang with.

But it's high class when you do it in French.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

promise5

The state ?? I don't remember it coming up for a vote.

Oh Puleeze. Have you ever heard of representative government? The US Constitution? The meaning of "republic"?

Where were you in 1975?

airdvr

I live just outside of Canton, McKinley's hometown. With everything that's fucked up in the world today who gives a flying fuck what they call the mountain. Personally, I've always thought the guys who named a mountain range "Big Tits" were probably fun to hang with.

Were those mountain men who named em...... good compassionate conservatives that were not getting any as well?

promise5

75?? Crud, my parents were like in middle school maybe even elementary school.

You are avoiding the question;
He asked where you were;
Why don't you want to tell us?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Holy crap! People make an issue out of nothing!!

It's a pretty big mountain

Not ALL the native dialects called it Denali.

I'm guessing you're besties with all the native Alaskan cultures.

Dang people what's the big deal!!

It wasn't an issue until some guy in the front got himself shot and other guys in the front figured out that their' powers went beyond naming big boats and they could brand a completely natural feature. Sure, there is a deserving respect for most of the white house guys, but like I said. Boat.

Better news: keep the name what it was.

I feel like you haven't been paying attention

OR maybe let those of us that live here vote between the two.

According to you there would be more than two candidates, remember? Mountains are named by those who discovered them, or if there is a reliable historical or living record of the feature having a name, OR is named by the people who have an observable cultural, experiential or nostalgic interest in it. It is generally a combination thereof that evolved into a commonly recognized name.

Really ?
You've talked to every Alaskan??

[canned snide rebuttal]

Odd because I actually LIVE here and a lot of people want it left McKinley.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that this lot of people are friends of yours that exist in the same cultural circles.

How silly of me. OF COURSE people that don't live here know
more then someone that lives here.
transplant or not

Curious about what observable cultural, experiential or nostalgic interest you and your "lot" have in Denali.
(that last one was not meant to be snide, I want to know)
I want to know because the entirety of the "opposition" in this thread has cited nothing but relative privation fallacies, 'merika, and an (understandably financial) motivation to avoid changing the mountain's name in the nations middle school geography text books that are probably older than you and me.
No one has to 're-learn' the name, because anyone who called it Denali was probably someone who learned it from someone who has "an observable cultural, experiential or nostalgic interest in it". Anyone who called it McKinely probably learned it from a middle school geography (©1995) textbook for the sake of memorizing for a test.

No I'm not "besties" with all cultures, but at the very least I live here.
Do you?
Funny but I don't just sit around and talk to my friends about an issue I'm interested I talk to a lot of people, including those I've just met.
Some I don't even know their names. It's a little different here people are open and friendly, strangers don't stay stranger for long.

My lot?? As in the people that actually live in the state?
Basically, it's McKinley. But there are "groups" that decided it was time to get politically correct and change the name to Denali.
Odd because we're a very politically incorrect state.
Believe me we have bigger issue then this.

And unless you live here please don't preach to me about how we live and think.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

Do you?
Funny but I don't just sit around and talk to my friends about an issue I'm interested I talk to a lot of people, including those I've just met.
Some I don't even know their names. It's a little different here people are open and friendly, strangers don't stay stranger for long.

My lot?? As in the people that actually live in the state?
Basically, it's McKinley. But there are "groups" that decided it was time to get politically correct and change the name to Denali.
Odd because we're a very politically incorrect state.

Maybe you will listen to someone who grew up there and lives 12 miles from you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0u5mOXzCKA&t=1m25s
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

there are "groups" that decided it was time to get politically correct and change the name to Denali.

Sounds like a group of people that have the most observable cultural, experiential or nostalgic interest in it.

Now that your government has re-opened after the 40 years of doing nothing but deliberate and spend on this matter I'm guessing you can work out those big issues in stride.

But did you go around to every town in Alaska and talk to every Alaskan about it?

But there are "groups" that decided it was time to get politically correct and change the name to Denali.

And apparently it's been time for 40 years, and in that 40 years no-one decided otherwise.

Wherever the hell you live, please don't assume that "we" all live and think the same. That's just dumb.

You are 1 member of the population of Alaska. You are not the population of Alaska. Your opinions are your own.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

promise5

Again, more simply, what vested interest do you have in Denali? Ok, you transplanted to Alaska. So what. I spent 2 months there over two years traveling anywhere from the southern Ketchikan to Nome. I do not 'live' there but I would venture to say I met and talked with a more diverse set of people. Transplants, workers and natives. Everyone called it Denali.

A person living there is just another person living there. You get one opinion. no more, no less. I would venture to say that my opinion resides in the majority of the people with a vested interest in the name of a historical mountain.

Ohio is a splotch of flat land, some rolling hills. Name the unremarkable geography of Ohio after McKinely. It fits better for a 150yo president from Ohio.

If the reason for your position is to conserve what you learned in middle school, sure, go for it. Call it president McKinely in your inner circle of people who have no vested interest in a mountain you probably have only seen from a great distance or on a jump plane. No problem with that. No one will stop you. It will take years for Mckinely's name to decompose off that hill.

My position is based on the decades of other people trying to change the name from bullshit propaganda back to the name that locals called it a century ago. People who HAVE a vested interest.

-SPACE-

Question for you: does that "politically incorrect" state" still offer the Alaskan Dividend payout to all residents who have established residency there for at least 6 months, to include woman who were at least 6 months pregnant?
My 2nd year as a resident there was the 1st year they started the program. Each person who registered with the state; to include unborn children, received $1000 from this "politically incorrect state" due to excess in oil revenue.
I resided in Anchorage (pop at the time 333,000).
When the word got out to "the outside" (i.e. the lower 48), Anchorage alone had an influx of 1000/ week from "the outside" flocking to AK. to set up temporary residency to apply for, & receive the pay out. All that was needed was to provide a valid address, social security numbers, confirmation from a physician of pregnancy due date.
It became so bad tent cities were set up as jobs & housing could not accommodate the influx.
Anchorage then had the highest crime rate per capita in the nation.
This "politically incorrect" state chose to make a decision any family or individual who could not secure housing or employment within 2 weeks of their arrival were flown back at the State's expense (i.e. taxpayer's of AK).
That was a while back, but question your inference & description Alaska as a whole is "politically incorrect" ? [:/]

promise5

Do you?

Of course, no-one running for elected office in Alaska would ever go around talking to Alaskans. That's obviously why these Alaskan elected officials and state agencies have been lobbying for the name change since before you were born.