Calvin19

Denali win.

promise5

Really ?
You've talked to every Alaskan??
Odd because I actually LIVE here and a lot of people want it left McKinley.

In 1975, the Alaska Board of Geographic Names changed the name of the mountain to Denali and, at Governor Jay Hammond's behest, the Alaska Legislature officially requested that the United States Board on Geographic Names (BGN), the federal governmental body responsible for naming geographic features in the United States, change the name of the mountain from "Mount McKinley" to "Mount Denali"

In 2009, Alaska State Representative Scott Kawasaki sponsored Alaska House Joint Resolution 15, which urges the U.S. Congress to rename the mountain Denali. Despite efforts in Alaska, Ohio Representatives Betty Sutton and Tim Ryan assumed Regula's role as congressional guardians of the Mount McKinley name and introduced H.R. 229 which reads: "Notwithstanding any other authority of law, the mountain located 63 degrees 04 minutes 12 seconds north, by 151 degrees 00 minutes 18 seconds west shall continue to be named and referred to for all purposes as Mount McKinley."

A January 2015 bill submitted by Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski re-proposed renaming North America's highest peak as Denali.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

promise5

Really ?
You've talked to every Alaskan??
Odd because I actually LIVE here and a lot of people want it left McKinley.

AK has been trying for FORTY years to get it changed back to Denali.
That was long before you were born, and even longer than you have lived there.:P:P:P
(Transplant from WI.)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Oh yes you're right !!!
EVERY person the AK has been trying to change.
How silly of me. OF COURSE people that don't live here know
more then someone that lives here.
transplant or not
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Except for the part about her being elected Senator. That kind of makes it her job to re-address issues that have been stalled like the requested renaming.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

promise5

You were ok until you got to Murcowski.
That woman's about as liked here as Obama

So you oppose a GOP politician who opposes same-sex marriage?
Now I'm confused.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Elected ????
She wasn't elected. She won because we had one of the most corrupt elections in the history of the state.
It was disgusting !!
But again you would have to live here to know.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

Please !! She's no more part of the GOP then Obama is.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Murkowski
On September 17, 2010, Murkowski said that she would mount a write-in campaign for the Senate seat. Her write-in campaign was aided in large part with substantial monetary aid and assistance from the Native corporations and PACs, as well as support from state teachers' and firefighters' unions.

Looks like someone didn't get the memo.:P

Oh yes you're right !!!
transplant or not

Wow, people are making a huge stink out of this. The name was changed back to what it was originally. The state wanted it and NPS was OK with it. Why the drama?

promise5

The state ?? I don't remember it coming up for a vote.

So how old were you in 1975?

The Alaska Board of Geographic Names changed the name of the mountain to Denali in 1975, which is how it is called locally.[5][23] However, a request in 1975 from the Alaska state legislature to the United States Board on Geographic Names to do the same at the federal level was blocked by Ohio congressman Ralph Regula, whose district included McKinley's hometown of Canton.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali#Naming

ryoder

***The state ?? I don't remember it coming up for a vote.

So how old were you in 1975?

The Alaska Board of Geographic Names changed the name of the mountain to Denali in 1975, which is how it is called locally.[5][23] However, a request in 1975 from the Alaska state legislature to the United States Board on Geographic Names to do the same at the federal level was blocked by Ohio congressman Ralph Regula, whose district included McKinley's hometown of Canton.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali#Naming

oh, so it's easy then :)
The people of Alaska can decide what to call their mountains. And the people of Ohio can go ahead and name mountains in Ohio whatever they like. Or, they can offer to trade some local naming right to Alaska if they feel the need - or offer to purchase the naming right from Alaska......

(this really shouldn't be a federal thing, you know...it's a really just another good example of why the feds should leave as much as possible to more local government - this is a waste of federal effort. I want my money back for this one.)

Yes - I'm in Minnesota and we should be able to charge the state of Mississippi for hijacking the name the local stretch of the major river that starts here and runs inside and along our border. Clearly it should be called the Hot Dish River. Screw Mississippi and their intrusive populace.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

billvon

Oh yes you're right !!!
transplant or not

Wow, people are making a huge stink out of this. The name was changed back to what it was originally. The state wanted it and NPS was OK with it. Why the drama?

Because of some assholes in Ohio who want to keep the McKinley name
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

I live just outside of Canton, McKinley's hometown. With everything that's fucked up in the world today who gives a flying fuck what they call the mountain. Personally, I've always thought the guys who named a mountain range "Big Tits" were probably fun to hang with.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne