Calvin19

Denali win.

billvon

>Trump will change it back. For Ohio.

Although Mt. Trump has a nice ring to it . . .

And its appearance will be improved by the huge T R U M P sign that will be attached.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

There's a thing going around FB that "Denali" is the Kenyan word for "Black Power."

Really. :S

Which is extra funny when you realize that there is no "Kenyan" language, that the official languages of Kenya are Swahili and...

Wait for it...

English.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Climbed for 20 years+. Rock climber and ice and snow. US, Canada, Mexico. Named 2. Placed the registers. A climber can name more than just a route.

Now the political correctness infection is spreading. Probably beyond mountains too. Mt Evans, named after a governor, is now targeted as inappropriate because he was governor when there was an indian massacre. Now a move to rename it mount Black Kettle. If only "the great one" would visit and rename it. Let' see, Columbus enslaved Indians. Rename Columbus Day too........ If Alaskans want Denali, that's cool. I actually prefer it. But lobby Congress or an agency or whatever to get the change.

Using executive authority and political correctness as a cover for a cutesy political stunt is what this is all about.

If Alaskans want Denali, that's cool. I actually prefer it. But lobby Congress or an agency or whatever to get the change.

Try reading the thread.

Alaskans have been asking Congress since 1975, but Congress has failed to act so as to not piss off an early primary state (Ohio) which has nothing to do with My. Denali. That's the political bullshit you should be upset about.

- Dan G

dpreguy

Climbed for 20 years+.

In that case you should know better.

If Alaskans want Denali, that's cool. I actually prefer it. But lobby Congress or an agency or whatever to get the change.

You need to pay more attention. Alaska has been lobbying for this change for 40 years and the appropriate agency finally responded.

So when you don't get what you want....like a grade from a professor....the professor failed?

Just because Congress didn't change it doesn't mean it failed.

I too prefer Denali ... Guess what? This was a stunt when so many pressing problems need dealt with.
Propblast

propblast

So when you don't get what you want....like a grade from a professor....the professor failed?

Just because Congress didn't change it doesn't mean it failed.

I too prefer Denali ... Guess what? This was a stunt when so many pressing problems need dealt with.

Did I write that Congress had failed?

Do you bother to read what is posted, because it sure doesn't seem like it?

Why doesn't Alaska just start calling it Denali. The Federal
Government (and anyone else) can call it whatever the hell they want to call it.

Oh, wait! ...the Feds would prolly just strong-arm the State by withholding funds to pay park rangers and "Don't Feed the Bears" signs, and such.

Government (and anyone else) can call it whatever the hell they want to call it.

Um, that's what's happening. The Feds want to call it Denali. What's the problem?

- Dan G

DanG

Um, that's what's happening. The Feds want to call it Denali. What's the problem?

The Regurisphere is up in arms...... Obama is overstepping again.... Obama is talking about climate......

Thanks Obama:ph34r:

DanG

Well, Alaska has been trying to change it since 1975. They should just change it and let everyone else argue over what to call it. If the Feds wanted to call it Denali it would have already been done without needing an edict handed down from on high. ...and we seem to have 3 pages in SC dedicated to "the problem".

Well, Alaska has been trying to change it since 1975. They should just change it and let everyone else argue over what to call it. If the Feds wanted to call it Denali it would have already been done without needing an edict handed down from on high. ...and we seem to have 3 pages in SC dedicated to "the problem".

You realize your post makes no sense, right? "If the Feds wanted to call it Denali it would have already been done..." implies that it is only a problem because it is happening now. What is it about the timing that is a problem? "...without needing an edict handed down from on high." What edict are you talking about? Just because Obama made the annoucement doesn't make it an edict. The change was made by the Interior Department. The President just announced it. It was not an edict.

This whole thing is just a raging case of ODS.

- Dan G

DanG

You realize your post makes no sense, right? "If the Feds wanted to call it Denali it would have already been done..." implies that it is only a problem because it is happening now. What is it about the timing that is a problem? "...without needing an edict handed down from on high." What edict are you talking about? Just because Obama made the annoucement doesn't make it an edict. The change was made by the Interior Department. The President just announced it. It was not an edict.

The Department of the Interior is a cabinet-level agency. Its secretary gets marching orders, especially politically motivated/charged marching orders, directly from the President. This is purely a political move ahead of his visit. All President's do this sort of nonsense, not just Obama. No ODS needed here ...it is just what is happening. You said the "Feds want to call it Denali". I said "If the Feds wanted to call it Denali it would have already been done ...". Turns out that it did take an edict by these particular Feds to get it done ...or, like I said, it would have already been done.

Doesn't matter anyway, my whole point is being missed, and it really has nothing, whatsoever, to do with Pres. Obama, the Feds, or anyone else ...only the name or naming of the mountain, itself.

I've decided that I'm going to start calling it "Mt. Outofamolehill".

Turns out that it did take an edict by these particular Feds to get it done ...or, like I said, it would have already been done.

Logic problem alert. Apparently, according to you, anything the Feds do takes an edict from the President. How do you know it took an edict now, but if it had been done earlier it would have been edict-free.

That's the ODS part.

- Dan G

DanG

Logic problem alert.

You got that right!

Apparently, according to you, anything the Feds do takes an edict from the President.

BS

How do you know it took an edict now, but if it had been done earlier it would have been edict-free.

That's the ODS part.

It hadn't been done earlier BECAUSE it was "edict-free".

>Logic problem alert. Apparently, according to you, anything the Feds do takes
>an edict from the President.

I think you're the one with the logic problem here. If GWB had done it - who would Muff have been able to blame? Logically, there would have been no one to go after.

billvon

>Logic problem alert. Apparently, according to you, anything the Feds do takes
>an edict from the President.

I think you're the one with the logic problem here. If GWB had done it - who would Muff have been able to attack? Logically, there would have been no one to go after.

That right there is funny. At no point in any of my posts did I say anything other than remark about the name of the mountain and whether or not a name may or may not be "valid". (My opinion ...any name is valid. The mountain is like the honey badger ...it don't care.) The only reference to President Obama, a tangential one at that, was later, and only in describing how "the change" is taking place ...and then, only in response to a direct attack on my opinion. And I think I'm pretty accurate in that regard. You might disagree with that, but tell me the alternate process that might have taken place and I might be persuaded differently. BTW - I did say that ALL presidents do this type of thing. That would include Bush as well as Obama. I don't have to like it from any of them.

muff528

The Department of the Interior is a cabinet-level agency. Its secretary gets marching orders, especially politically motivated/charged marching orders, directly from the President. This is purely a political move ahead of his visit. All President's do this sort of nonsense, not just Obama. No ODS needed here ...it is just what is happening. You said the "Feds want to call it Denali". I said "If the Feds wanted to call it Denali it would have already been done ...". Turns out that it did take an edict by these particular Feds to get it done ...or, like I said, it would have already been done.

Doesn't matter anyway, my whole point is being missed, and it really has nothing, whatsoever, to do with Pres. Obama, the Feds, or anyone else ...only the name or naming of the mountain, itself.

I've decided that I'm going to start calling it "Mt. Outofamolehill".

Why does have to be politically motivated?

I like this (bullet point from a Salon article):
• Sarah Palin, of all people, referred to the mountain as Denali in her 2009 farewell address after resigning halfway through her first term as governor.

Elisha

• Sarah Palin, of all people, referred to the mountain as Denali in her 2009 farewell address after resigning halfway through her first term as governor.

oh crap!

does that mean it's a mistake to change it to Denali? how can they justify doing anything that aligns with her

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

SkyDekker

*********Obvious you are not a climber. The person who climbs it names it.

Obviously you're not a climber either.

It is tradition for the first climber to name the route, not the peak.

Spoilsport. I was waiting to see if he'd figure that out for himself;)

No wonder nobody invites me to parties....:P

No, that's not it at all.

Not at all.

:ph34r::P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Elisha

Why does have to be politically motivated?

I like this (bullet point from a Salon article):

It doesn't! I didn't make it a political issue. The Administration did by effecting the name change to coincide with his visit. You are continuing the politicization of th issue by referencing the Salon snippet. Why would the Salon writer be surprised at Palin's reference to "Denali" and go on to mention "offhandedly" her "resgning halfway..." if (s)he didn't think it was, or try to make it, a political issue?

I am neither "for" nor "against' the change. The most that can be said about my position is that I may be leaning toward the possibility that I might be trying to maybe make a case for the idea that the "most valid" name for the mountain may possibly be "McKinley" ....but, maybe not. That's it!

Climbed for 20 years+. Rock climber and ice and snow. US, Canada, Mexico. Named 2. Placed the registers. A climber can name more than just a route.

OK, so which 2 mountains did you name?

And which other well known mountains were named by their first summitters?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?