Calvin19

Denali win.

kallend

***You still haven't said why you want it to remain McKinley.

Her posts seem suspiciously like ODS symptoms to me.

Perhaps she caught it from Sarah....... who was for it before Sarahs own ODS caused her to be against it.... flip flopping Sarah...... so much ODS.
( I doubt Promise5 ever paid attention before but the regurgisphere also conveniently forgot that their Darling Sarah used Denali in the video's)

skygypsie

Each person who registered with the state; to include unborn children, received

oh.... now you did it

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It's something that's been talked about back and forth just like about everything else here. :P
I don't see her as flip flopping, people change their views. Oh well!
Still love Sarah!!!

People are going to be calling it what they want in the end anyway.
Those that call it Denali will,those that call it McKinley will.

My grandparents "50+years " living here called it both.
Different cultures have different names for things including mountains.
:P:P:P

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

There's also sleeping lady.
I see that range daily and it doesn't look like a sleeping woman to me but hey when a guys alone in the bush long enough I suppose things start looking a little different.:D

Believe me I tried.

rehmwa

***Each person who registered with the state; to include unborn children, received

oh.... now you did it

What happens if they received the money and then aborted the child?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******Each person who registered with the state; to include unborn children, received

oh.... now you did it

What happens if they received the money and then aborted the child?

IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS DAMMIT

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

promise5

The baby has to have been born the year before.
PFD's get paid for the previous year, it misinforming to say an unborn child gets a PFD. :P

I prefer "disingenuous"
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>Basically, it's McKinley. But there are "groups" that decided it was time to get
>politically correct and change the name to Denali.

Geez what's the big deal? It was originally called Denali, almost all Alaskans want it to be called Denali, the state has been asking for this for 40 years, the NPS was OK with it - and it finally got done. Good for them.

Here's what a local had to say:

=================
An Alaskan On What The Lower 48 Don't Get About Denali
ByJulia O'Malley
PublishedSeptember 2, 2015, 6:00 AM EDT 29689 views

While Lower 48 politicians might have partisan heartburn over President Barack Obama’s decision to change the name of Mount McKinley to its Koyukon Athabascan name, Denali, you’d be hard pressed to find many Alaskans, conservative or otherwise, with objections.

“We’ve been calling it Denali since I moved up here,” Dave Stieren, a conservative talk radio host for KFQD-AM in Anchorage told me. “To me it’s like happy holidays/merry Christmas. Anybody who cares about it too much is not someone I’d like to hang out with.”

At Monday’s GLACIER conference on Arctic issues, put on by the State Department in Anchorage, one of the biggest applause lines came during Secretary of State John Kerry’s remarks introducing Obama, who is spending part of the week touring Alaska.

“I think we can say that Denali never looked better than it does today,” Kerry said, drawing hoots and whistles from a crowd that had until then stuck to polite clapping.

Alaska is a conservative state. Registered Republicans outnumber Democrats by a wide margin, but the state’s brand of conservatism has a pro-development, anti-government, libertarian flavor. Most people don’t see the mountain’s name change along partisan lines. Instead, some see it as a victory in the state’s long public lands tug-of-war with the federal government, while others, especially in the Alaska Native community, see it as a victory for indigenous rights. And pretty much everybody has been calling the mountain Denali for years.

There’s also something worth explaining about the culture here. We put Alaska-ness before all else, and tend to view outsiders with suspicion. In Alaska, nobody really cares if you went to Harvard, but if your grandmother was buried here, you should say so because it gives you cred. I think this is because there are only 700,000 people in this state and a whole lot of dangerous country, animals and weather. People from very different backgrounds tend to find themselves relying on each other, so we care most about stuff like whether you are the type to carry a tow strap in your truck and would be willing to pull us out of a ditch in a snowstorm. Politics come way second. Our loyalty to Denali over McKinley is driven by the same impulse. Denali is ours, it comes from here, it carries a tow strap. McKinley isn’t and doesn’t.

Lesil McGuire, a Republican state senator who grew up in Anchorage, said she has been calling the mountain Denali since childhood, when her family made frequent visits to Denali National Park and Preserve. (The park was created in 1980. The state changed the name of the mountain at that time, but the federal government didn’t follow suit.)

“As Alaskans we feel listened to and respected to have the federal government recognize the name we have had in statute since 1980,” she said via text message Tuesday.
============================

I agree with a lot in that article.
But again it's a topic that gets talked about.
There are "Alaskans" on both sides.
And yes my grandfather is buried here. :P

Also, just because you "traveled here" for a couple years doesn't make you the " all knowing expert" on Alaska.

My grandparents have been here 50+ years so I think they have a little more knowledge then some of a 3 year period.

Believe me I tried.

promise5

I agree with a lot in that article.
But again it's a topic that gets talked about.
There are "Alaskans" on both sides.
And yes my grandfather is buried here. :P

Also, just because you "traveled here" for a couple years doesn't make you the " all knowing expert" on Alaska.

My grandparents have been here 50+ years so I think they have a little more knowledge then some of a 3 year period.

I bet you didn't realize that your are hard pressed to find.:o

From Billvon's article:

Alaska is a conservative state. Registered Republicans outnumber Democrats by a wide margin, but the state’s brand of conservatism has a pro-development, anti-government, libertarian flavor. Most people don’t see the mountain’s name change along partisan lines. Instead, some see it as a victory in the state’s long public lands tug-of-war with the federal government, while others, especially in the Alaska Native community, see it as a victory for indigenous rights. And pretty much everybody has been calling the mountain Denali for years.

There’s also something worth explaining about the culture here. We put Alaska-ness before all else, and tend to view outsiders with suspicion. In Alaska, nobody really cares if you went to Harvard, but if your grandmother was buried here, you should say so because it gives you cred. I think this is because there are only 700,000 people in this state and a whole lot of dangerous country, animals and weather. People from very different backgrounds tend to find themselves relying on each other, so we care most about stuff like whether you are the type to carry a tow strap in your truck and would be willing to pull us out of a ditch in a snowstorm. Politics come way second. Our loyalty to Denali over McKinley is driven by the same impulse. Denali is ours, it comes from here, it carries a tow strap. McKinley isn’t and doesn’t.

That was exactly my point all along. This quote also illustrates that an opposition (anyone wanting to call it "McKinely") has suspicious motivations for it. In the grand scheme, it IS just a mountain, and anyone can call it anything they want in their circle. But teaching this propaganda McKinely name to the world through federally sponsored means was a mistake. It was recognized and corrected. (Finally).

I apologize if I touted my responses as such. My point in communicating this travel experience was that everywhere I went and talked with people about the mountain it was called Denali. I witnessed Alaskans correcting people who called it mckinley. My reason for traveling was to gain flight/planning experience in Alaska mountains and weather. I also had a single goal (that did not really matter, just a bonus if the timing coincided) and that was to fly around Denali and try to photograph climbers on the West Buttress. Never worked out, best I got was some tents on 7500' camp. On weather days I would wander around whatever town I was in talking with people about my reason for being here and learn a little about their lives.

Edit: My flight instructor's mom had a house in Juneau and one in Anchorage. We stayed at those places whenever we could. Camped the rest of the time. She had lived in Alaska her whole life. It was really cool to see all the family pictures on the walls from as early as the 40s with them on top of Mendenhall and lower Kahiltna Glaciers.

promise5

The baby has to have been born the year before.
PFD's get paid for the previous year, its misinforming to say an unborn child gets a PFD. :P

I have no clue what the requirements are now or since then, but the 1st year of the program, the requirement was 6 months residency & unborn 'fetus' at least 6 months to term.

Where were you in '80-'83 ?

I was there raising my family, paying taxes, working as a Federal Employee, living in Government Hill-off Elmendorf Air Force Base...& on occasion venturing out to outlying bush areas & vacations-hunting trips to Denali National Park :S

promise5

What's not hard to find is the Alaskan "expert" that only lived here a couple years and no longer lives here.

But hey they're good for a laugh

But, are you hard pressed to find many that argue about the change, as the author states as fact?

promise5

People are on both sides. I don't have a problem finding people that want it to be McKinley nor those that want Denali.

So that article is bunk.

After 6 + years up here and grandparents 50+ years along with 2 aunts that lived here all their lives(40+) we've heard and talked about it both ways. As far as the article, you write what you experienced AND if you're one sided on an issue then of course what you write will reflect that.

But hey what would we know. :P

Sent out quick texts to grandmother, aunts and friends just to make sure I had it right.

But crud we only live here.

Believe me I tried.

Strange . . . I was replying to a post regarding organized movements and then it said the post I was trying to access didn't exist.

Anyway . . . How many people were involved in the 1975 petition?

How many people are opposed to it today?