Calvin19

Denali win.

You said the "Feds want to call it Denali". I said "If the Feds wanted to call it Denali it would have already been done ...". Turns out that it did take an edict by these particular Feds to get it done ...or, like I said, it would have already been done.

So it would be ok if the Feds had changed it, but not ok that the Feds have changed it? Or it would be OK if your "the Feds" changed it but not that his "the Feds" changed it?

Ok Lewis Carroll....
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

You said the "Feds want to call it Denali". I said "If the Feds wanted to call it Denali it would have already been done ...". Turns out that it did take an edict by these particular Feds to get it done ...or, like I said, it would have already been done.

So it would be ok if the Feds had changed it, but not ok that the Feds have changed it? Or it would be OK if your "the Feds" changed it but not that his "the Feds" changed it?

Ok Lewis Carroll....

OK. The US Board of Geographic Names (BGN) is usually in charge of naming geographic sites.. On their website they state that they have never had such opposition to their efforts as with the Denali/McKinley name-change, and also that “The 38-year impasse between the BGN and Congress was unique in BGN history...". So, after a little further research, I can see where there might be an argument for intervention by the President, although I still do not agree with the necessity of intervention in such things. Keeping with my position on the issue, the mountain will be named what it will be and I'll go along with it. I disagree with the premise that the name must be "Denali" simply because that was the "original" name, which most likely it was not. (which was my original point ...period). I agree with earlier posters that "Denali" is the cooler name. That is a probably a better, more valid, reason to change it. I also do not believe that the intervention by the Secretary was not "suggested" by the President to punctuate his upcoming visit. I believe it happened now for political punch and was orchestrated as such. Not an uncommon thing at all. No one has to agree with that.

Outtatime

>So it would be ok if the Feds had changed it, but not ok that the Feds have
>changed it?

I think he's been pretty clear. If GWB had changed it, it would have been a logical move; "Alaska has been trying to change it since 1975" so "they should just change it and let everyone else argue over what to call it."

But since Obama is perceived to have a hand in changing it, it is an "an edict handed down from on high" - a "purely political move ahead of his visit."

Let's see what google thinks people call it:

mount mckinley: About 8,270,000 results
denali: About 28,400,000 results
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Elisha

Sarah Palin, of all people, referred to the mountain as Denali in her 2009 farewell address after resigning halfway through her first term as governor.

Indeed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0u5mOXzCKA&t=1m25s
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Agree with muff528. ANY president who pulls off such a political stunt.. I like Denali because the Alaskans like it, and because they have been wanting to change it for a long time. Everyone knows that.

Did not name any mountains. Large rock monoliths/spires. First ascents. Placed a register on them with the naming.

For the Canadians: Robson; stopped at base of Conrad Cain Wall, (not my decision), then on to the summit of Mount Athabasca.

Athabasca: "The mountain was named in 1898 by J Norman Collie, the person who made the first ascent on August 18th", so the tradition dates back to at least 1898- even for mountains.

Athabasca is the Cree Indian name for "Where there are reeds".... Robert Service stated, ".. no water more pure then that which flows in the runnels of the Athabasca glacier". Loved Alberta and BC; the mountains and the Canadian people.

Athabasca: "The mountain was named in 1898 by J Norman Collie, the person who made the first ascent on August 18th", so the tradition dates back to at least 1898- even for mountains.

120 years ago... wow, you're right - that is, like, forever!

So which other mountains that we've ever heard of were named by their first summitters?

jakee

120 years ago... wow, you're right - that is, like, forever!

So which other mountains that we've ever heard of were named by their first summitters?

Everest - NO
Pike's Peak - NO
Long's Peak - NO
Mt. Whitney - NO
Mont Blanc - NO
Matterhorn - NO
Eiger - NO
Jungfrau - NO
Cerro Torre - NO
Cerro Fitzroy - NO
Annapurna - NO
Aconcagua - NO
Nanga Parbat - NO
Torres del Paine - NO
Mt. Kenya - NO
Mt. Kosciuszko - NO
Puncak Jaya - NO
Mt. Vinson - NO (this was named for the same Carl Vinson as the aircraft carrier CVN70)
Mt. Elbrus - NO
Kilimajaro - NO

In fact none of the "Seven Summits" were named by their first ascenders.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Other mountains. I have no idea.
I wasn't any great shakes - just an 'average joe' rock climber, and ice and snow guy that got around a lot. Big mountains have a certain magic. Canada, Mexico (high volcanos there), Tetons, Wind Rivers, loved the ice and snow world. I'd love to go to Robson again, (not the Cain Wall though), and have had dreams about Assiniboine-the "Matterhorn" of Canada. Have a look at it. Wow! Maybe I'm getting too old for that one.

Other mountains. I have no idea.

Ok, so, it's been a recognised thing since forever that mountains are named by the first people to summit them... because one mountain in Canada in 1898 was named by the first person to summit it?

And you're still standing by that argument?

SkyDekker

"The United States Geological Survey (USGS) said a survey using new technology has revealed Denali is 100 feet shorter than previously thought. The last accepted elevation was 20,320 feet, but the actual figure is 20,310 feet."

Looks like some journalist should have taken a math class.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

billvon

> You need "mount" in front of both.

I have never heard it referred to as "Mount Denali." (Never heard K2 referred to as Mount K2 either come to think of it. It's just Denali and K2.)

"mt denali" gets the correct results and 19.7M. My point though in the "apples to apples" is that Mt McKinley is specific and Denali is too general (would include the national park, the SUV, etc in search results).