Calvin19

Denali win.

Anvilbrother

In other news after solving all other pressing issues we got around to renaming some dirt. How's that budget going?

The idea that the entire apparatus of the federal government is capable of only doing one thing at a time is intriguing, if rather odd.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The really sad thing is that THIS is the one thing they chose to do. :P

Seriously I don't give a rat's ass if they change the name. But it us entertaining to watch all the dz characters line up on the same side of the fence and argue about it.

Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

dpreguy

Intellectually, your response was lacking..
I said the first person who climbs it CAN name it. This respect for a first ascent governs, or should.

And your statement is just incorrect. Your personal opinion about what SHOULD be doesn't make it so.

When John Hunt (Hillary/Tensing were members of the expedition) received permission from the Nepalese govt. in 1953 to attempt to climb the already named Everest he wasn't given permission to rename Nepalese territory.

When Joe Brown and George Band received permission from the Indian govt. in 1955 to attempt to climb the already named Kanchenjunga they didn't receive permission to rename it.

When Don Whillans and Chris Bonington received permission from Chile to attempt the already named Central Tower of Paine in 1963 they weren't given permission to rename Chilean territory.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

i don't care either way, nor do I know or care to know the history or meaning behind either name. I thought they were two different mountains actually because so many people call it Denali regardless of what's printed on the maps

that said - Denali 'sounds' a million times cooler - so it's a good thing

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

i don't care either way, nor do I know or care to know the history or meaning behind either name. I thought they were two different mountains actually because so many people call it Denali regardless of what's printed on the maps

that said - Denali 'sounds' a million times cooler - so it's a good thing

Agreed.
Back in the late 90's I was working in TCI's Network Operations Center. After a discussion with my co-worker on a theme to use for the hosts our group managed, I agreed with his suggestion of using 14'ers to name them. He chose the names, and we had one named "Denali". I didn't even know that was not the official name until years later.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

muff528

I don't care whether we call it Denali or McKinley or some other name. But, before we spend a wad of money replacing maps, textbooks, brochures, souvenirs-

Just sell off all the existing items that say McKinley to future wannabe Antique Roadshow guests at exorbitant mark ups and use the money raised to pay for the rebranding.

Anvilbrother

GMC can use this to their advantage now.

Hence the behind the scene kick back to Obama, for making it an unnecessary priority.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Because that person has earned that right. This has been around for - like - forever.

Just admit you made that up. Because you did.

The person who discovers something often has the right to name it. Not the person who conquers it.

- Dan G

dpreguy

Because that person has earned that right. This has been around for - like - forever.

A) Why have they earned the right? Where is it said that the reward for climbing something is naming it?

B) By, like, forever I assume you mean since people have been, like, summitting mountains? Because really that's not, like, very long at all. So who had the 'right' to name them before that?

C) What else does this rule apply to? Can rivers only be named by the person who found the source, for example?

jakee

***Obvious you are not a climber. The person who climbs it names it.

Like where?

Give examples of mountains named by first summitters.

The obvious one here is the summit of Mt. Turtle.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******Obvious you are not a climber. The person who climbs it names it.

Like where?

Give examples of mountains named by first summitters.

The obvious one here is the summit of Mt. Turtle.

Most climbers prefer to climb rock...... I do not think that climbing on wood counts.

In an effort to clear up any confusion, I have decided to keep a "Mountain Name Registry". I will compile and keep an "official" list, and for a small, nominal fee, registrants will be able to name their favorite peaks for all time. No submitted names will be subject to censorship of any kind! Be assured that your registration fee will only cover administrative and marketing costs, create and maintain a legal defense fund, provide for my personal eating/drinking habits & hobbies, etc. You will be issued an official certificate from the Mountain Name Registry entitling you to use that name in any references you may make concerning that mountain. First come, first served ...But don't fret! If someone beats you to naming your peak , I will, for a slightly discounted amount, include your chosen name as an "official" alternate name. AND! ...the number of alternate names permitted to be registered will be UNLIMITED! Somewhat smaller certificates will be issued to these registrants, so please try to keep the length of the names short enough to fit on a postcard-sized certificate in 24-pt type. (Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope, or at least a stamp.)

Watch for future name Registries for other geological sites including valleys, rivers, outcroppings, sinkholes, beaches, and many more!

All currencies accepted.

SkyDekker

***Obvious you are not a climber. The person who climbs it names it.

Obviously you're not a climber either.

It is tradition for the first climber to name the route, not the peak.

Spoilsport. I was waiting to see if he'd figure that out for himself;)

jakee

******Obvious you are not a climber. The person who climbs it names it.

Obviously you're not a climber either.

It is tradition for the first climber to name the route, not the peak.

Spoilsport. I was waiting to see if he'd figure that out for himself;)

No wonder nobody invites me to parties....:P