Calvin19

Denali win.

Calvin19

What difference, at this point, does it really make anyway!!??
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Amazon

Cool.... Interesting case of f CDS and completely off topic.... I wonder what brought that on.....

In view of all the other things wrong with this country, what difference does this make?

It's sad when such a simple premise need be explained like that.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

For the betterment of human's place in the universe, probably no point. But...
"Why the hell not"?
Other than respect for the local community who actually saw the mountain and lived in its shadow. McKinley never even saw it.
I always knew it as Denali through fellow climbers and knew that 'McKinley' was literally nothing but a political brand. I have never been on the ground near Denali, only flown around its summit twice in a light twin. I did freak out the climbers at base camp as I turned final for their snow runway (serviced exclusively by ski-equipped aircraft) while flying a PA-27 Twin Commanche with the gear down.

McKinley never visited Alaska and there was probably no reason for it to be named after him. But the name has stood for 119 years and is the name that everyone on the planet save for a few locals knows the mountain by. Now, it’s been renamed via executive fiat after a generic local name that just means “high one” and is most associated with the rest of us as a sub-brand of GMC trucks—which itself is merely a separate brand under which Chevy vehicles are sold with slightly different badging.
In all seriousness, I’m sure the native population is happy with this name change and it does no real harm to outsiders. But the locals were calling it “Denali” anyway. Now the other 7-plus billion people on the planet have to learn a new name for, well, no apparent reason.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/mount-mckinley-renamed-denali-because-why-the-hell-not/

Calvin19

For the betterment of human's place in the universe, probably no point. But...
"Why the hell not"?
Other than respect for the local community who actually saw the mountain and lived in its shadow. McKinley never even saw it.
I always knew it as Denali through fellow climbers and knew that 'McKinley' was literally nothing but a political brand. I have never been on the ground near Denali, only flown around its summit twice in a light twin. I did freak out the climbers at base camp as I turned final for their snow runway (serviced exclusively by ski-equipped aircraft) while flying a PA-27 Twin Commanche with the gear down.

McKinley never visited Alaska and there was probably no reason for it to be named after him. But the name has stood for 119 years and is the name that everyone on the planet save for a few locals knows the mountain by. Now, it’s been renamed via executive fiat after a generic local name that just means “high one” and is most associated with the rest of us as a sub-brand of GMC trucks—which itself is merely a separate brand under which Chevy vehicles are sold with slightly different badging.
In all seriousness, I’m sure the native population is happy with this name change and it does no real harm to outsiders. But the locals were calling it “Denali” anyway. Now the other 7-plus billion people on the planet have to learn a new name for, well, no apparent reason.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/mount-mckinley-renamed-denali-because-why-the-hell-not/

I always referred to it as Denali out of respect for the people who knew it first. I and some friends made 2 tries at the summit... getting to 18600.... both times weathered out... once spending a week in a snow cave waiting for the 100 mph winds to abate. It is also where I quit smoking.... ran out of ciggies in the snow cave... man did that suck. Four of us in there all running out of cigs... a real fun bunch I tell ya.

turtlespeed

Cool.... Interesting case of f CDS and completely off topic.... I wonder what brought that on.....

In view of all the other things wrong with this country, what difference does this make?

It's sad when such a simple premise need be explained like that.[:/]

There are far more things right with this country and the sooner a world traveler such as yourself actually realizes it the better off we would be.

Amazon

I always referred to it as Denali out of respect for the people who knew it first. ....

I don't care whether we call it Denali or McKinley or some other name. But, before we spend a wad of money replacing maps, textbooks, brochures, souvenirs, etc., are we sure that this is the original aboriginal name for this hill?

muff528

I always referred to it as Denali out of respect for the people who knew it first. ....

I don't care whether we call it Denali or McKinley or some other name. But, before we spend a wad of money replacing maps, textbooks, brochures, souvenirs, etc., are we sure that this is the original aboriginal name for this hill?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-mount-mckinley-denali-20150204-story.html

Amazon

Well Hell! .. if Sen Sullivan and the LA Times say so, that's good enough for me! :)
But we know how language changes, especially over many millennia. So was "Denali" originally an actual proper name? Or did it (or a primitive form) originally mean something more generic like "that big fucking rock over there"?

muff528

Well Hell! .. if Sen Sullivan and the LA Times say so, that's good enough for me! :)
But we know how language changes, especially over many millennia. So was "Denali" originally an actual proper name? Or did it (or a primitive form) originally mean something more generic like "that big fucking rock over there"?

Sorry but my Tardis is in for repairs.....

Amazon

That's no excuse. But, I suppose any old "First Nations" name, even if it's not the very first "First Nations" name, is better than naming it after a Scot. ...especially since the whole hemisphere is named after an Italian. And "Denali" does seem to have an Italian "ring" to it. :)

muff528

That's no excuse. But, I suppose any old "First Nations" name, even if it's not the very first "First Nations" name, is better than naming it after a Scot. ...especially since the whole hemisphere is named after an Italian. And "Denali" does seem to have an Italian "ring" to it. :)

The first person who climbs it can name it.

The local indians/ eskimo natives have no naming rights. None. They want to call it Denali, OK, but they have no superior right to name it because none of them climbed it. They just stared at it and named it as they pleased. OK then, it is Denalii to them. No, McKinley didn't climb it either, but his claim to name it is just as good, or as bogus as the natives.

Sec interior Jewell, little puppet of political correctness, is out of her pay grade in trying to rename it.

dpreguy

The first person who climbs it can name it.

The local indians/ eskimo natives have no naming rights. None. They want to call it Denali, OK, but they have no superior right to name it because none of them climbed it. They just stared at it and named it as they pleased. OK then, it is Denalii to them. No, McKinley didn't climb it either, but his claim to name it is just as good, or as bogus as the natives.

Sec interior Jewell, little puppet of political correctness, is out of her pay grade in trying to rename it.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

Mt. Everest was named well before anyone climbed it.
So was Long's Peak
So was Mt. Whitney
So was Mont Blanc
So was the Matterhorn
So was the Eiger
So was Cerro Torre
So was Cerro Fitzroy
So was Annapurna
So was Aconcagua
So was Nanga Parbat
So were the Torres del Paine
So was Mt. Kenya
So was Kanchenjunga
etc. etc. etc.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

History and background:

The state of Alaska has had a standing request to change the name dating back to 1975, when the legislature passed a resolution and then-Gov. Jay Hammond appealed to the federal government.

But those efforts and legislation in Congress have been stymied by members of Ohio's congressional delegation. Even when Mount McKinley National Park was renamed Denali National Park in 1980, the federal government retained Mount McKinley as the name of the actual peak.

The White House cited Jewell's authority to change the name, and Jewell issued a secretarial order officially changing it to Denali. The Interior Department said the U.S. Board on Geographic Names had been deferring to Congress since 1977, and cited a 1947 law that allows the Interior Department to change names unilaterally when the board fails to act "within a reasonable time." The board shares responsibility with the Interior Department for naming such landmarks.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-says-mount-mckinley-renamed-denali-210234767.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Amazon

That's no excuse. But, I suppose any old "First Nations" name, even if it's not the very first "First Nations" name, is better than naming it after a Scot. ...especially since the whole hemisphere is named after an Italian. And "Denali" does seem to have an Italian "ring" to it. :)possession has pretty much always been who has it at the time... and the first nations people around it.... when the Europeans arrived... were the Atabascans... and there are many thousands of place names in this country that Europeans took the first nations peoples names for the places.

Well that kind of makes my point. Over many millennia, many groups of "First Nations" peoples made the trip through the region of Denali. It is reasonable to assume that their cultures were at least as disparate as various modern Europeans are even now. Some of the Asian groups had their own languages and some likely gave the mountain a name. Over the course of a very long time, as each group replaced earlier groups, cultures were assimilated or displaced, and names of places were also changed. I can think of at least 7 or 8 European groups that arrived in the Americas within the first hundred or so years of European discovery ....and 7 or 8 different languages. They (we) are only the latest groups to arrive here and right now in time we have "possession" and have named the peak. It's reasonable to believe that over the course of the next thousands of years, others will take possession and give their own names to places. And yes, the Europeans do use names given by earlier "possessors" in some cases. Future inhabitants may or may not wish to use names given by previous populations. A micro-example might be Spain. When Spain was conquered and settled by Arabic-speaking people most places were given Arabic names. But even after the Reconquista, Europeans who re-settled Spain, retained many Arab language names, and even the modern Spanish language retains vestiges of Arab influence.

edit for clarity.

Intellectually, your response was lacking..
I said the first person who climbs it CAN name it. This respect for a first ascent governs, or should.

Governments naming mountains no one has climbed is a longstanding practice too, but the point is, the natives have no superior right to the naming either. The natives naming Denali is OK for them, but it is neither more legitimate or bogus as any other. (Except for the never ending cutesy quest for political correctness). Then Jewell follows this PC quest right after the 'great one' visits and suddenly declares that Denali is the correct name. Silly; and patently obvious..