JerryBaumchen

Another church blunder

JerryBaumchen

Hi folks,

Once again discrimination rears its ugly head:

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2015/08/26/catholic-school-rejects-hire-due--same-sex-marriage-view/32381067/

Jerry Baumchen

I read this as the opposite. This Catholic run school is changing it's policy to be inclusive. They don't have to, they have chosen to.

(edited to say that this is a breaking story and that the change in policy may have come after Jerry posted)
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Anvilbrother

Good example as to why Ireland has gone from 90% catholic to 30% as of recent.

In Canada, Quebec society is another good example. Quebec has gone from being nearly totally run by the church to nearly totally rejecting it in a very short time.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hi Ken,

this is a breaking story and that the change in policy may have come after Jerry posted

Nope, I knew all about the reversal.

However, it is important ( IMO ) to note that they only reversed themselves when faced with a near uprising by the local community, their own students and a possible lawsuit by the young woman. And, that the state Bureau of Labor was looking into it as a violation of their rules and the state laws.

The upside is that there might be some hope for the Catholic Church in the future; I won't live long enough to find out.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

The upside is that there might be some hope for the Catholic Church in the future;

I have hope for catholicism, other flavors of christianity, judaism, islam and all the other ridiculous group delusions: Hope that they'll die off and humanity can improve once they're not holding us back.
cavete terrae.

grue

The upside is that there might be some hope for the Catholic Church in the future;

I have hope for catholicism, other flavors of christianity, judaism, islam and all the other ridiculous group delusions: Hope that they'll die off and humanity can improve once they're not holding us back.

Thousands of years of religious democide/genocide and here you are thinking that they'll just disappear by way of mere hope...ha, talk about delusional.

That's probably a good thing tho...It seems today that most bigotry is expressed through words rather than by action. The more the fanatical types remain all talk, the better - especially for those who'd prefer to just work together in solving problems, rather than just hoping that people they don't like will just go away.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

Thousands of years of religious democide/genocide and here you are thinking that they'll just disappear by way of mere hope...ha, talk about delusional.

That's probably a good thing tho...It seems today that most bigotry is expressed through words rather than by action. The more the fanatical types remain all talk, the better - especially for those who'd prefer to just work together in solving problems, rather than just hoping that people they don't like will just go away.

Well, it seems like now that we nonbelievers are less likely to be killed for our lack belief, agnosticism and atheism are growing in the west. I'm hoping that'll continue around the world and that religion can die a natural death as education improves.
cavete terrae.

Don't count too hard on that hope.
Google the almost identical shit Archbishop Chaput has done in the last 2 dioceses he's run.. He's still doing it, but the boss isn't telling him to back off and be s human being.
Mark my words,- these thugs are just marking time until Francis flames out.

grue

Well, it seems like now that we nonbelievers are less likely to be killed for our lack belief, agnosticism and atheism are growing in the west. I'm hoping that'll continue around the world and that religion can die a natural death as education improves.

These sentiments of yours are nothing new - they've been around for 1500+ years. Religion has survived the skillful rhetoric of the sophists, to communistic persecution and everything in between.

Religion will continue to persists and there is not much to suggest otherwise. From a theistic perspective, we're designed to acknowledge the concept of God. Even some of your own elk believe that religion is an evolutionary benefit - we're born this way. It's why religion exists in the first place.

The only reason why religion is so powerful is because it exploits the innate ability to observe creation and acknowledge the idea of a creator - but - just because some have found ways to manipulate inherent characteristics does not mean that those characteristics are a bad thing, nor does it negate them.

grue

religion can die a natural death as education improves.

I think the effect of education is more indirect. There are plenty of educated people that have faith and still believe in God. However, educated people in the west tend to live more comfortably and may not have a "need" for God. This lack of necessity is only compounded by the external negative effects of religion on ones faith or lack thereof. (ex. war, violence, bigotry, hatred, judgmentalism, etc.)

If we are to be "fishers of men," then perhaps we should stop scaring the fish...

> There are plenty of educated people that have faith and still believe in God.

There sure are. But there is a direct relationship between education and a lack of belief in the details of religion, like creationism, divine intervention, transubstantiation etc.

>However, educated people in the west tend to live more comfortably and may
>not have a "need" for God.

Seems like with the level of violence, depression, mental illness, heart disease etc we have here there's plenty of "need" for God - if you define God as something that makes you feel better during times of adversity.

>If we are to be "fishers of men," then perhaps we should stop scaring the fish...

If education is "scaring the fish" then I say scare them. Scared fish are better off in the long run than ignorant ones.

billvon

> There are plenty of educated people that have faith and still believe in God.

There sure are. But there is a direct relationship between education and a lack of belief in the details of religion, like creationism, divine intervention, transubstantiation etc.

There sure is, yet religion still persists. I recall a few educated protestants with a lack of belief in transubstantiation and look what happened with that...

billvon

>However, educated people in the west tend to live more comfortably and may
>not have a "need" for God.

>If we are to be "fishers of men," then perhaps we should stop scaring the fish...

If education is "scaring the fish" then I say scare them. Scared fish are better off in the long run than ignorant ones.

What a doom and gloom christian prepper might say?

https://youtu.be/VccqavRP6gE?t=6