yoink

2 journalists shot dead on live TV in Virginia.

billvon

>bullshit. targeting civilians is a war crime,

So you believe Tibbetts is a war criminal?

>and as for paul tibbetts, my understanding is there were 66,000 killed by the bomb

The estimates range from 90,000 to 150,000.

quote - Hiroshima had a high concentration of troops, military facilities and military factories that had not yet been subject to significant damage
end quote.

The civilians in Hiroshima were not targeted. Military targets were. Civilians died, yes, a lot of them, but the bombing was for against military facilities....

Therefore, no, Paul Tibbetts is not a war criminal...

Again, according to Wikipedia, 66 thousand, with maybe 6ooo more from radiation...

Even at your 150 thousand estimate, that is not hundreds of thousands. It would be one hundred thousand and a bit...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

You must not take these talks seriously then because normiss and myself both agreed on several mental health and mandatory reporting ideas a few shootings back. Like I said earlier it's hard for me to say anything about this particular one and if our ideas would have worked because at this point we do not know who all knew and to what level they knew about his mental state.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

SkyDekker

Because your reply will have an example outlinging how the suggestion would not have worked in this scenario.

Oh really well you crystal ball is broken because i diddn't.

As for prevention. Let's get all the details and see who all knew about his mental state first. I am betting his co workers or family knew something was going on but did not act.

Yes they did. The company he worked for ordered him to get medical help.

But in a larger sense, you don't devise laws and regulations to try and prevent one specific case. So, what do you propose would prevent these types of incidents from occuring?

Well, one thing for certain, the Rainbow Flag must be removed from public display.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Because your reply will have an example outlinging how the suggestion would not have worked in this scenario.

As for prevention. Let's get all the details and see who all knew about his mental state first. I am betting his co workers or family knew something was going on but did not act.

But in a larger sense, you don't devise laws and regulations to try and prevent one specific case. So, what do you propose would prevent these types of incidents from occuring?

Well, one thing for certain, the Rainbow Flag must be removed from public display.

:D:D:D:D

Had a similar thought yesterday about the Confederate flag. Can we get it back now or do seven more white people have to be killed first? :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

So the guy was a caricature of a stereotype of an angry, in your face liberal with a couple big chips on his shoulder. Did he drive a hybrid? or maybe a Camry?

I'd equate him to an abortion bomber.

\--- clearly the fix is to outlaw fanatics

maybe shutdown web forums that encourage extremist weirdos with their ridiculous self righteous strawman ridden 'debates' and pet issues

and to stop politicians and public figures from flaming those ridiculous debates for no other reason that to create division and anger

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Bolas

:D:D:D:D

Had a similar thought yesterday about the Confederate flag. Can we get it back now or do seven more white people have to be killed first? :P

Oh, nothing quite so violent. We need to research the total number of black slaves there were in this country, and subtract the total number is slaves throughout the world from the emancipation proclamation to date.

Take that sum and have the same number of white volunteer slaves work off the penance of the American plantation owner.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Maybe you consider it normal to throw cat feces at neighbors' homes, but it isn't where I live. Fresno must be a smelly place.

And he had been told to seek medical help by a former employer. Yep, perfectly normal guy....... in Looking Glass Land.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

rehmwa

stop politicians and public figures from flaming those ridiculous debates for no other reason that to create division and anger

It's worse as they create policies and laws differentiating groups and their treatment.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

skypuppy

***>bullshit. targeting civilians is a war crime,

So you believe Tibbetts is a war criminal?

>and as for paul tibbetts, my understanding is there were 66,000 killed by the bomb

The estimates range from 90,000 to 150,000.

quote - Hiroshima had a high concentration of troops, military facilities and military factories that had not yet been subject to significant damage
end quote.

The civilians in Hiroshima were not targeted. Military targets were. Civilians died, yes, a lot of them, but the bombing was for against military facilities....

Therefore, no, Paul Tibbetts is not a war criminal...

Again, according to Wikipedia, 66 thousand, with maybe 6ooo more from radiation...

Even at your 150 thousand estimate, that is not hundreds of thousands. It would be one hundred thousand and a bit...

Paul W. Tibbets, Jr. may or may not have been a war criminal, but Curtis E. LeMay was by any civilized definition, then or now. He largely succeeded in his stated objective to reduce the Japanese population "by half," mostly by the use of high explosive and incendiaries.

Sir Arthur "Bomber" Harris was not much better. He ordered the bombing of Dresden, which was home to some 200,000 refugees at the time. Though the target was supposedly military in nature, the railroad marshaling yards were not targeted, and the munitions were largely high explosive sufficient to turn a Medieval city into tinder, and incendiaries to ignite it.

I guess it's easier to get your body count by killing widows and orphans, since your losses tend to be lower than when attacking military targets.

War is an act of insanity, and proof positive that the mentally ill are not particularly endearing.

BSBD,

Winsor

Bolas

***stop politicians and public figures from flaming those ridiculous debates for no other reason that to create division and anger

It's worse as they create policies and laws differentiating groups and their treatment.

you know that statement and statements like that are now considered "indirect racism"?

you just as well have said something inflammatory like "I try to be color blind", or the horrible "I judge people as individuals"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>quote - Hiroshima had a high concentration of troops, military facilities and
>military factories that had not yet been subject to significant damage

So killing 90,000-150,000 people in cold blood was justified because of a military value on the target; the people were just unfortunately in the way.

Then I stand by my original statement. If there had been a military value in this shooting (say, reducing the amount of enemy propaganda) this action would have gotten this guy a medal had it been in a war - and no one would be claiming he was crazy.

winsor

Paul W. Tibbets, Jr. may or may not have been a war criminal, but Curtis E. LeMay was by any civilized definition, then or now. He largely succeeded in his stated objective to reduce the Japanese population "by half," mostly by the use of high explosive and incendiaries.

The following is a quote by Robert McNamara in the documentary "Fog of War"(2003):

LeMay said, "If we'd lost the war, we'd all have been prosecuted as war criminals." And I think he's right. He, and I'd say I, were behaving as war criminals. LeMay recognized that what he was doing would be thought immoral if his side had lost. But what makes it immoral if you lose and not immoral if you win?

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

The following is a quote by Robert McNamara in the documentary "Fog of War"(2003):

LeMay said, "If we'd lost the war, we'd all have been prosecuted as war criminals." And I think he's right. He, and I'd say I, were behaving as war criminals. LeMay recognized that what he was doing would be thought immoral if his side had lost. But what makes it immoral if you lose and not immoral if you win?

Jesus...I didn't want to get deep on this fine Thursday, but now my mind is in a blunder. Thanks a lot Robert.

rehmwa

Funding, new laws, better system available, etc etc etc - same requests as for every other perceived and real problems of today - even if this reaction and expectation can be considered to be a big cause of so many issues in the first place

what about a society where we are consistently developing narcissistic assholes that feel entitled to a certain role and when they don't get it, then have a tantrum, react violently, and blame it on politics and the social issues of the moment

it crosses boundaries of race, genders, social and political persuasions, age......everyone

this theme is the current norm, this guy just took it to the next level

How would spaying and neutering the undesirables work for ya;)

billvon

Then I stand by my original statement. If there had been a military value in this shooting (say, reducing the amount of enemy propaganda) this action would have gotten this guy a medal had it been in a war - and no one would be claiming he was crazy.

But there wasn't, so your original statement is moot. The guy was a nutcase, not a warrior.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

RonD1120

Wowwww, I just got that haha. That's good, nice one Ron :D

billvon

>quote - Hiroshima had a high concentration of troops, military facilities and
>military factories that had not yet been subject to significant damage

So killing 90,000-150,000 people in cold blood was justified because of a military value on the target; the people were just unfortunately in the way.

Again from Wikipedia, about 1/3rd of the dead were Imperial Army soldiers. Along with the military infrastructure, then yes.

As far as your other statement, now you're changing the scenario. If there was military value - and he'd been ordered to do it - then maybe he'd be a hero. But deciding to do it because he didn't like them -- no, you're wrong.

You just seem to like to argue...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

kallend

Maybe you consider it normal to throw cat feces at neighbors' homes, but it isn't where I live. Fresno must be a smelly place.

And he had been told to seek medical help by a former employer. Yep, perfectly normal guy....... in Looking Glass Land.

While it may not be normal to throw cat feces at neighbors homes it certainly isn't crazy.

I know a guy that went to someone's house and used a manure spreader to spray it. He got charged with mischief but it certainly wasn't crazy.

And he always angry after that cause every time he drove past the guys house, he had the best lawn on the street...

>But there wasn't, so your original statement is moot. The guy was a nutcase,
>not a warrior.

Which is precisely my point. Change just one of his motivations (from a desire for fame to a desire for glory in a war) and your interpretation changes completely, from nutcase to warrior.

"Man, I can't believe that guy just slaughtered that crowd of Chinese! He didn't even know them. Why did he do it? He must be insane to kill people like that."

"We just declared war on China."

"Give that guy a medal! His quick thinking and bold resolve let us vanquish our enemies."

JohnnyMarko

Wowwww, I just got that haha. That's good, nice one Ron :D

So far that is two of you. ;)
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

kallend

No. I don't find it "Normal." remwmber when. I said between 2 and 5 percent? No, throwing cat shit at neighbors' homes isn't normal. But having dogs shit on my lawn is. Having cats shit in my of kids' sandbox seems to be.

Why must it be extreme? I said this guy was an asshole. Apparently you disagree thay throwing cat shit is an asshole thing to do. It's not normal behavior to park a car in front of a driveway, either. But when someone does thay is thay person mentally ill? Or just a selfish ass?

But here is a question: is there any abnormal human behavior that you consider to not be a sign of mental illness? Like, I don't know, hurling yourself at a planet from a couple of miles up?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

But here is a question: is there any abnormal human behavior that you consider to not be a sign of mental illness? Like, I don't know, hurling yourself at a planet from a couple of miles up?

How much more bad logic are you going to throw at this?

Skydiving, while considered "abnormal" by some people, is also a socially acceptable and government sanctioned human activity. I'm fairly certain you can't say the same about cat shit throwers. I know of no national organization of cat shit throwers. I know of no government recognition of cat shit throwing as a sport. I know of no government sponsored military demonstration team of cat shit throwers.

Stop throwing non sequitur arguments; they're a lot like throwing cat shit.

False equivalency is what you're supposedly arguing against here. I don't think you "win" your argument by using it to an even greater extent.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Skydiving, while considered "abnormal" by some people, is also a socially
>acceptable and government sanctioned human activity.

BASE jumping is not. Are they insane? There is no government recognition of BASE jumping as a sport. There is no government sponsored military demonstration team of BASE jumpers.

Or people who make art out of old beer cans. Or people who ride their riding lawnmowers across the country. Or people who fly lawn chairs by tying a bunch of balloons to them. Or people who go to Burning Man and paint themselves blue. Are all those people insane? Or trainspotters, or extreme ironers, or . . . .

All the above are rhetorical. No, doing any of those things do not, BY THEMSELVES, make you insane. Neither does killing people.

billvon

No, doing any of those things do not, BY THEMSELVES, make you insane. Neither does killing people.

Who was talking about "just" killing people though? That doesn't apply at all to this case. This was by no means simply a killing. This was not simply a crime of passion or heat of the moment. This was clearly premeditated with a manifesto and documentation.

The guy was fucking nuts.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver