Driver1

US Marines overpower suspected gunman on Amsterdam to Paris high speed train

aphid

Interviewed live in Arras, France, Chris Norman, a British-South African businessman said there were a total of 5 people actively involved in subduing the man, there were the USAF & Guard men, an American student, himself, and "the French train conductor".

I saw this interview on CBC in Canada. I'm not sure if the US media bothered to carry it.

Not diminishing the efforts of the American service men, and not challenging you personally, but nobody should get too cocky with wearisome nonsense about French responses to violence or conflict.

The only coverage I've seen today (and I didn't watch the news most of the weekend so this is the only coverage I've seen), is of the three Americans. They even have the video of Pres. Hollande presenting the medals to FOUR guys, but only the Americans are part of the story (vague references throughout of five total responders, no mention of the fourth man in the presentation ceremony). :S

While Americans being heroes is a big story within the US (of course), I would have loved to see it being told in the bigger context -- that the three were part of the group that took this guy down. The way it was told on our news, those three did ALL the heavy lifting, and we have no idea what the other two did. :|
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

>The way it was told on our news, those three did ALL the heavy lifting, and
>we have no idea what the other two did.

Other people involved (from the article referenced above) -

28-year-old French banker; first guy who took action against the shooter, did not want to be in the spotlight and so remained anonymous.

Mark Moogalian, French-American academic (professor at the Sorbonne) went after the shooter and ended up in the hospital. Apparently he was the second person to move against him. He took the AK-47 away from him; the gunman then pulled a handgun and shot him in the back. He then started running into the next car where the three Americans saw him.

Notably, our three American compatriots are keeping the "ball low."

Apparently they don't think of themselves as "exceptional" American heroes. But just as humans who did what they had to do when confronted w/ a "challenge."

This is refreshingly different from your standard-issue Speakers Corner armchair, right-wing quarterback!!!!!

billvon

>The way it was told on our news, those three did ALL the heavy lifting, and
>we have no idea what the other two did.

Other people involved (from the article referenced above) -

28-year-old French banker; first guy who took action against the shooter, did not want to be in the spotlight and so remained anonymous.

Mark Moogalian, French-American academic (professor at the Sorbonne) went after the shooter and ended up in the hospital. Apparently he was the second person to move against him. He took the AK-47 away from him; the gunman then pulled a handgun and shot him in the back. He then started running into the next car where the three Americans saw him.

billvon

>and "the French train conductor".

Wow - this is turning into quite the right wing nightmare. A gunman subdued - without a gun. One of the people who subdued him was French! And it was on a - HIGH SPEED TRAIN!

... and the injured received medical attention under a universal healthcare system.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

mpohl

This is refreshingly different from your standard-issue Speakers Corner armchair, right-wing quarterback!!!!!

the reactions of these five (the french baker and the 4 americans) in the aftermath seem pretty normal from my experience and representative of people all over

maybe you should experience more people in the real world since Speaker's Corner seems to just be validating some ridiculous false stereotype you cling to so strongly - but I assume that's a fair exchange for the same service you provide with your postings.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants