normiss

Proper gun storage?

Children are 4 times as likely to die from poisoning than from a firearm. yet I have never heard anyone propose a chemical safe be required in every chemical owner's home. Have never heard pundits droning on about locking up household chemicals and medications. Have never heard much about sending chemical and medication owners to prison for the accidental misuse of the product that results in an innocent death. Save the CDC a don't see administrations, associations and groups forming to do chemical buy backs and promoting household chemical limits and bans.

The journal of pediatrics states "over 400 deaths UNDER THE AGE OF FIVE occur each year due to accidental poisoning". I'll even use everytown's numbers, which are likely biased for their cause, which states "at least 100 children were killed in unintentional shootings".

kawisixer01

Children are 4 times as likely to die from poisoning than from a firearm.

Well, that's OK then. Unsecured guns in the home are nothing to worry about. Carry on.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kawisixer01

I'll even use everytown's numbers, which are likely biased for their cause, which states "at least 100 children were killed in unintentional shootings".

Right, and that number most likely has more to do with hunting accidents than it does proper gun storage...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

> yet I have never heard anyone propose a chemical safe be required in every
> chemical owner's home.

Really? You've never heard about any laws requiring child-proof caps on prescription pills or dangerous OTC medication?

>Have never heard pundits droning on about locking up household chemicals
>and medications.

They drone on all the time about it. Go to any child-rearing forum.

>Have never heard much about sending chemical and medication owners to
>prison for the accidental misuse of the product that results in an innocent
>death.

Here's one that wasn't even a death:

==================
Manchester Man Admits Guilty in Lead Poisoning Case; Plea to Forging Lead Hazard Disclosure Documents is Precedent Setting

CONCORD, N.H. – A Manchester, N.H. man and his company pleaded guilty in federal court today in connection with a lead poisoning case involving the death of a two-year-old girl in Manchester in April 2000.

James T. Aneckstein and his company, JTA Real Estate Brokerage and Property Management, pleaded guilty to charges of obstructing justice, making false statements to investigators and failing to provide prospective tenants with lead-based paint (LBP) disclosure information as required by federal law. The victim and her mother were tenants in a Bridge Street apartment managed by Aneckstein.
. . .

The investigation began after the Manchester Health Department announced in November 2000 that the girl’s lead poisoning was “most likely”caused by lead paint and lead-contaminated dust in and around her apartment.

“This tragic case shows how important it is that landlords and their agents inform tenants of the potential presence of lead-based paint and the hazards they pose,” said Ira Leighton, acting deputy regional administrator of EPA’s New England office.
=====================
Why Is Lead Still Poisoning Our Children?
Washingtonian

By John Pekkanen | August 1, 2006

. . .

Maryland screens more children and has tougher lead laws than DC or Virginia. Designed to eliminate lead-paint hazards before a child is poisoned, Maryland’s laws are among the strongest in the nation, and they are strictly enforced. Property owners are required to make properties lead-safe according to stringent state standards before renting them out. Failure to do so can result in forgone rent, heavy fines, and jail.

“The law puts a real economic chill on people who don’t do the right thing,” says Ruth Ann Norton, executive director of the Baltimore-based Coalition to End Childhood Lead Poisoning. Noncompliant landlords have served time in jail since the laws were passed in 1994, she says, sending an anti-lead-paint message loud and clear to Maryland property owners.
=====================

>The journal of pediatrics states "over 400 deaths UNDER THE AGE OF FIVE
>occur each year due to accidental poisoning".

Hence all the money spent on lead remediation, asbestos removal, poison control centers and enforcement of laws on child safety.

kallend

***Children are 4 times as likely to die from poisoning than from a firearm.

Well, that's OK then. Unsecured guns in the home are nothing to worry about. Carry on.

"BHO and Benghazi" is to "Bush and 4000 American lives" as " child gun deaths" is to "child poisoning."

Where is your outrage against liberal mothers and their depression medication!

Coreeece

******Children are 4 times as likely to die from poisoning than from a firearm.

"BHO and Benghazi" is to "Bush and 4000 American lives" as " child gun deaths" is to "child poisoning."

Same place as my outrage against conservative mothers and their bipolar disorder medication. Last time I checked ALL controlled substance prescriptions have to be filled in child proof containers.

kallend

*********Children are 4 times as likely to die from poisoning than from a firearm.

Same place as my outrage against conservative mothers and their bipolar disorder medication.

;)

kallend

Last time I checked ALL controlled substance prescriptions have to be filled in child proof containers.

Oh, ok...no more child poisonings then, good...

billvon

>Oh, ok...no more child poisonings then, good...

You really think childproof containers are supposed to prevent all poisonings? They just cut down on them - which is a good goal.

No, just as gun laws won't prevent all accidental child gun deaths...but they are already cut down to about 100; most of which are probably hunting accidents that have nothing to do with safe storage.

Might as well lose your mind over swine flu, or whatever it was...

>No, just as gun laws won't prevent all accidental child gun deaths...

Exactly. They will only reduce them. For example, a recent proposal I saw, based on reported accidental shootings, would reduce said accidental shootings by 30% with two changes:

-Trigger locks required on weapons being stored
-Visible loading indicator

That would save about 200 people a year, 30 of them children.

>Might as well lose your mind over swine flu

No need to lose your mind over anything. It would be great to reduce swine flu deaths, even if more people die from heart disease. Likewise, it would be great to reduce accidental shootings, even if more people die from swine flu.

billvon

>No, just as gun laws won't prevent all accidental child gun deaths...

Exactly. They will only reduce them. For example, a recent proposal I saw, based on reported accidental shootings, would reduce said accidental shootings by 30% with two changes:

-Trigger locks required on weapons being stored
-Visible loading indicator

That would save about 200 people a year, 30 of them children

I guess that sounds good, but you also have to give consideration to those who'd want easy access to at least one unlocked gun for self defense...

billvon

>Might as well lose your mind over swine flu

No need to lose your mind over anything. It would be great to reduce swine flu deaths, even if more people die from heart disease. Likewise, it would be great to reduce accidental shootings, even if more people die from swine flu.

I just brought that up because I remember something about you encouraging/ridiculing people not to flip out just because fox news was making a big deal about a rare disease....

Wrt heart disease....looks like cancer took over the lead. I think I heard something like 50% of people can expect to get some form of cancer especially at old age.

We need less attention on all this partisan bullshit and start addressing the real problems...

> but you also have to give consideration to those who'd want easy access to
>at least one unlocked gun for self defense...

Sure, require either a trigger lock or a locked fast-access box.

>I just brought that up because I remember something about you
>encouraging/ridiculing people not to flip out just because fox news was making
>a big deal about a rare disease....

That's right - we shouldn't flip out over gun deaths, rare diseases, heart disease or car accidents. "Ban guns" or "ban travel to Africa" or "ban meat" would all be flipping out.

billvon

> but you also have to give consideration to those who'd want easy access to
>at least one unlocked gun for self defense...

Sure, require either a trigger lock or a locked fast-access box.

There's a difference between requiring a person to pass a written test that includes questions about proper storage of firearms around children and how to educate kids about gun safety before owning a gun, or requiring a disabling lock to be included or purchased with a firearm, and taking that extra step and making it illegal not to use the lock at all times regardless of your living situation.

Same goes for things like LCIs, magazine disconnects, and thumb safeties. If you think they're the dogs bollocks and you want manufacturers to be required to offer versions of all their guns with those options, I could get behind that too, but that's not what actually happens. What actually happens are hard requirements are written, and then people keep adding to the list of required features until they get vaporware on the list and then nothing gets approved for sale anymore.

The state of California is proof that the slippery slope argument isn't a fallacy when it comes to firearms laws.

I recently read and heard that the top cause of death for Americans in the 25-45 or so age ranges is the drug overdose, not cancer or accidents or shooting.

These are all complex problems; none can be completely solved, ever, outside of a totalitarian government with sealed borders. So an approach to prioritizing, picking the low-hanging fruit, and improving (rather than "solving") problems might just be better. But that doesn't make for nearly as crisp sound bites, does it?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

kallend

...Last time I checked ALL controlled substance prescriptions have to be filled in child proof containers.

No they don't. They come standard with C/P tops, but they are readily available without them. All you have to do is ask.
The pharmacist will usually ask a few questions (generally about kids in the house), but they don't do background checks or anything like that.

And I have yet to hear anyone proposing laws that would prosecute parents whose kids get into the medicine cabinet and OD, or who get under the sink and poison themselves with cleaning chemicals.

There's a huge effort to educate parents about that (Remember
Mr Yuck"?), but I have yet to see any demands for punishment.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You are correct my girlfriend in high school's grandmother had bad arthritis an even with the wide mouth containers could not grip and open them so her pain meds were in non child proof containers. Sometimes green ones which was funny as any meds usually in green containers were for animal prescriptions.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

wmw999

I recently read and heard that the top cause of death for Americans in the 25-45 or so age ranges is the drug overdose, not cancer or accidents or shooting.

These are all complex problems; none can be completely solved, ever, outside of a totalitarian government with sealed borders. So an approach to prioritizing, picking the low-hanging fruit, and improving (rather than "solving") problems might just be better. But that doesn't make for nearly as crisp sound bites, does it?

Wendy P.

Soundbite? OK...

Maybe those who kill themselves shouldn't be perceived as a problem...why waste time and money on them when there are people being neglected and dying for reasons beyond their control?

Prior23

You almost have to put effort into being irresponsible enough to allow your firearms AND/OR chemicals to reach the hands of your children.

But you're dealing with "The Great American Stupid"; that part of the population that so resents being told how to behave that they'll do really stupid things just to demonstrate rebellion.

kallend

***You almost have to put effort into being irresponsible enough to allow your firearms AND/OR chemicals to reach the hands of your children.

But you're dealing with "The Great American Stupid"; that part of the population that so resents being told how to behave that they'll do really stupid things just to demonstrate rebellion.

and now a broad brush insult by our resident gun banner

You exasperation is showing
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln