Ronhend

POTUS to attend Ranger graduation.

pbwing

I'm not familiar with what takes place on the last week of this course, but is there really anything that would jeopardize their successful completion??

now that's a reasonable question...

wouldn't you prefer to just PA the poster rather than ask a reasonable question?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Having graduated Ranger School myself I know one may fail the course during the last half of the last phase

What about the last 4 days?

The fact that the announcement included the men as well as the women is defacto evidence that standards have been changed.

How do you figure that? UNless you can show it is not unusual for somebody to get dimissed in the last 4 days, this is evidence of exactly nothing.

Your default stance is clearly that standards must have changed, though all "on record" reports are quite adament that they have not.

I guess I was able to answer my own question. I see a training plan that indicates the last FTX finishes on Saturday with Sunday to the following Friday being things like CO Boards, peer ratings and move to Ft Benning. By Monday, they would know who has to repeat the last phase.

So by the sounds of it, its entirely realistic that by the Monday of the graduation week, they would have a clear indication of who passed and who didn't.

http://www.ranger.org/Resources/Documents/ranger%20website%20brief.pdf

Edited to all link with course details

A failed patrol, a twisted ankle, cellulitis, earning a "major minus" for something as benign as falling asleep in the wrong place at the wrong time, not to mention failing the final peer evaluation can and have led to late phase failures in the past. I guess times have changed.😢

brenthutch

A failed patrol, a twisted ankle, cellulitis, earning a "major minus" for something as benign as falling asleep in the wrong place at the wrong time, not to mention failing the final peer evaluation can and have led to late phase failures in the past. I guess times have changed.😢

Given the fact that this was the first time that women have graduated, I think it far more likely that the brass saw that there was a good chance of these women making it and then giving the whitehouse advance notice of the possibility in order to make the most of the marketing opportunity if it arose.

That isn't the same as the white house saying 'graduate these women'.

I also don't see that as any indication of changing standards.

But none of those things would have taken place after the press release was made.

The last FTX finished on Saturday and the peer reviews and completed on Sunday.

The press release was Monday. There was nothing that could have been failed at this point. Unless they somehow failed the Bn board after having passed Peer Review and CO board.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just trying to point out that nothing about this seems untoward. Based on every interview, every article I've read (staff, other candidates, even the retired CSM from Airborne and Ranger Training Brigade), there is absolutely nothing about what they did that was not Ranger standard. Maybe an argument can be made that they were given the chance to make a third attempt at Benning phase, but I'm not sure that is all that uncommon.

Twenty three years ago, when I was at Benning, attending Pathfinder school I had some time off and went to see the "Best Ranger" competition that was underway. While there I overheard two Ranger Regiment Lieutenant Colonels lamenting how SF has found a way to integrate women into the special forces and that Ranger Regiment was still struggling to do so. There has been a longstanding and justifiable goal to incorporate women into Ranger School. This is nothing new, it has nothing to do with Obama. Ranger School is a leadership development school, it is not a "how to be a bad ass" school. The hardships imposed are intended to challenge the leader every bit as much at the individual. To lead a group of physically superior, highly motivated, overachievers is a cakewalk. Take away their food, take away their sleep, apply psychological and physical pressure, push them to the point where half of them break; now take the ones who remain and lead them to accomplish the mission. That is what Ranger School is about. Breaking fifty percent of the men is a straight forward proposition, the introduction of women has the potential to complicate the issue. Not to say that it can not be done.

When I went to Ranger School we had brain dead Neanderthals excell during the city week, however when the challenges became more cerebral, they were found to be wanting.

I would much rather double ruck (cary their load as well as my own), for a squared-away woman, than deal with a douchebag guy (BTW something I have done for several males).

The notion that there is a "job to be done" with clearly delineated roles and standards is misguided. The job to be done is not to be Jonnie Rambo; the job is to lead others in combat/life.