wmw999

Spin zone: "Language, a key mechanism of control"

I came upon this the other day. It's excerpts from a pamphlet written with Newt Gingrich, and to me it really defines a lot of what's gone wrong with communication.

Link to the text

Read it. I'm not sure I've seen a better-defined primer on spin and attack politics.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

I came upon this the other day. It's excerpts from a pamphlet written with Newt Gingrich, and to me it really defines a lot of what's gone wrong with communication.

Link to the text

Read it. I'm not sure I've seen a better-defined primer on spin and attack politics.

Wendy P.

And rather a sad commentary that a Party felt compelled to distribute this to the candidates under the presumption, likely correct, that many did not enjoy a competent vocabulary in the first place.

Mind you, reading some posts here, I suppose it should be expected.

As you know, one of the key points in the GOPAC tapes is that
"language matters.
"

It's a pity some of our posters (you know who they are) didn't get the memo.

Grammar, spelling, sentence construction and absence of malapropisms are important if you want your posts to be understood.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This guy?Not much, other than the first paragraph or two here; I'm on my way out right now. Will look later

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So. you throw rocks at Amazon for misspelling ilk... However you have a signature line with a disqualifier that states, "Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,"

Good enough for you to be lazy and or not use a spell checker on your Ipad, but dare someone else make a mistake.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Anvilbrother

I know you are a tad slow on the uptake much of the time.. but it has been a running joke on here in SC for a while now to use you and your elk/elks instead of ilk... soooo in an effort to help those who are verbally challenged I tried to enlighten you... many have used it.. perhaps a search would help you with that problem.

BIGUN

So. you throw rocks at Amazon for misspelling ilk... However you have a signature line with a disqualifier that states, "Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,"

Good enough for you to be lazy and or not use a spell checker on your Ipad, but dare someone else make a mistake.

As I explained above.... a whole bunch of people have been using it.... it has been a running joke.. but well... some people spend far too much time getting butthurt instead of playing along:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Anvilbrother

Its spelled elk according to amazon anyways.

Not having a good day today, are you?

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_35&search_string=your+elk&search_type=AND&search_fields=sbjbdy&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=25

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yep. This is fascinating. And one can see every side doing it. I hate it.

The ones that bother me the most are "mainstream" and "common sense." Particularly the latter. If it's common sense then why the hell are you telling me that?

The tools of divisiveness.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

Yep. This is fascinating. And one can see every side doing it. I hate it.

The ones that bother me the most are "mainstream" and "common sense." Particularly the latter. If it's common sense then why the hell are you telling me that?

Are you telling me that, as a lawyer, you've never chosen a synonym with a better connotation than the more accurate one?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Oh, they both definitely do it. Everyone does to some degree -- as an example, who's completely honest when their SO wears something unflattering that they like?:P

But this "define the difference" and "no compromise" crap is really hurting our ability as a country to respond to situations.

Wendy P.

quade

***Yep. This is fascinating. And one can see every side doing it. I hate it.

Are you telling me that, as a lawyer, you've never chosen a synonym with a better connotation than the more accurate one?

Nope. And I can tell you from experience how goddamned disingenuous and messed up it is. And what the hell it does to people. And why the fuck do we do shit this way.

There is a reason. Why most politicians are lawyers. The ones who enjoy the divisive shit the most and who can't imagine a life without stirring the pot have their sights set higher.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

kallend

***Any day that I am not in chicago having to pay $4 gas is a good day.

I paid $2.99 yesterday.:P

LA is under $2.00 I believe.

I have been to Chicago a few times and their gas prices are ridiculously high compared to the rest of the mainland US, except California. :S
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!