Amazon

California to ban secrecy in police shootings

skycop

Both bills are the first of a wave of Ferguson-inspired criminal justice reforms now making their way through the Legislature.

Politics at it's finest,
A knee jerk reaction to completely false narrative, proven false by several layers of investigation (including the DOJ), and perpetuated as true by numerous media outlets.

Getting rid of municipal and Mayors courts, and switching to district type courts, making enforcement more revenue neutral. Would be an actual solution to problems found in Ferguson. The "other" problem was not true, and was a result of criminal/assaultive behavior.

But politics do not work that way, so things change, and they are directed mainly at the cops.

I hope many areas of the country enjoyed their historically low crime rates. They are about to become a thing of the past, and those most vulnerable will suffer the most. This is already happening in many urban areas throughout the country regarding violent crime.

So the private prison system prevails... like so much of the south..... from the other thread on Louisana... just downstream. Just think a whole new REVENUE STREAM for yall to pump

Do all of Louisiana's 40,000 inmates need to be incarcerated for the interests of punishment and public safety to be served? Gov. Bobby Jindal, a conservative Republican with presidential ambitions, says the answer is no. Despite locking up more people for longer periods than any other state, Louisiana has one of the highest rates of both violent and property crimes. Yet the state shows no signs of weaning itself off its prison dependence.

"You have people who are so invested in maintaining the present system -- not just the sheriffs, but judges, prosecutors, other people who have links to it," said Burk Foster, a former professor at the University of Louisiana-Lafayette and an expert on Louisiana prisons. "They don't want to see the prison system get smaller or the number of people in custody reduced, even though the crime rate is down, because the good old boys are all linked together in the punishment network, which is good for them financially and politically."

So the private prison system prevails... like so much of the south..... from the other thread on Louisana... just downstream. Just think a whole new REVENUE STREAM for yall to pump

Louisiana is and always has been one of the most, if not the most corrupt state government. What does that have to do with the thread YOU started, and my reply?

One of the main points the DOJ stated in Ferguson was the municipal court system was using minority citizens as "ATM's".

I've always said that municipal/mayors courts promote enforcement as revenue sources. If you remove a financial incentive, enforcement is based on needs and safety. It's the politicians pushing enforcement in those environments many times. Using district type courts takes revenue generation largely out of the equation, that is a good thing.

I have no financial incentive to write tickets or make arrests, I never have. There are still federal traffic grants that pay overtime for traffic enforcement. These grants are largely based on location and traffic collision stats. They are designed to reduce accidents and increase traffic safety.

Evidently in Ferguson the local court was raking in money on arrest fines and warrant fees. These don't go away with district courts, but the reasons for the arrests and tickets aren't tied with local revenue generation.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

It's not clear to me what much of this discussion has to do with "The governor Tuesday also signed a bill by state Sen. Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens, that makes it clear it is legal to take a photograph or video of a police officer while the officer is in a public place or in a place the person photographing the action has a right to be."

I am 100% in favor of this.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

It's not clear to me what much of this discussion has to do with "The governor Tuesday also signed a bill by state Sen. Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens, that makes it clear it is legal to take a photograph or video of a police officer while the officer is in a public place or in a place the person photographing the action has a right to be."

I am 100% in favor of this.

Yet there are those here in SC that think its just more PC bullshit from the left.

More police oversight.... more community policing as they have discovered actually works... and more police accountability.
If they lose the support of the people.. policing will become an impossible job not just a hard and dangerous job.

If they want my support... they need to actually serve and protect the communities.. ALL of them.

Yet there are those here in SC that think its just more PC bullshit from the left.

Some of it is, especially regarding Ferguson and use of force, and it comes from the far left and far right..

it is legal to take a photograph or video of a police officer while the officer is in a public place or in a place the person photographing the action has a right to be."

It always has been, some officers fall right into the trap of some of these guys, who simply antagonize to get a reaction. For many of these "activists" or people who are mad at the police, it is a fine line between recording and interfering. It doesn't bother me in the least bit, I've been wearing a body camera since 2009. BUT if you interfere, you go to jail.

Some of these "activists' want to debate politics as well, on the street, during an incident. Again, if they interfere or incite, they go to jail. Recording from a safe distance is fine.

more community policing as they have discovered actually works

Well no shit,
I've been doing it for almost 30yrs.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"