aphid

only in Canada, eh?

Sure we have guns, just not so many. Do we feel threatened? Heck no! We just break out the hockey & baseball equipment.

Sudbury police say bear calls are not considered a "core" part of its services. They will, however, respond to emergencies, such as when bears enter school yards while classes are in session, when they try to enter a home, or when they kill pets and livestock and loiter near the places where the killings happened.

A release quoted by the newspaper said "members of our community are attempting to take matters into their own hands chasing bears with sticks and bats."

source: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08/10/bears-sticks-bats-sudbury-police_n_7967742.html

Hockey fans have some restraint. There's reason why soccer fans don't get anything that looks like a stick.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

aphid

Sure we have guns, just not so many. Do we feel threatened? Heck no! We just break out the hockey & baseball equipment.

Sudbury police say bear calls are not considered a "core" part of its services. They will, however, respond to emergencies, such as when bears enter school yards while classes are in session, when they try to enter a home, or when they kill pets and livestock and loiter near the places where the killings happened.

A release quoted by the newspaper said "members of our community are attempting to take matters into their own hands chasing bears with sticks and bats."

source: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08/10/bears-sticks-bats-sudbury-police_n_7967742.html

Considering one of my cats was killed by a bear a couple of years ago, this is actually a serious problem. When they cancelled the spring bear hunt, bears multiplied to the point of regularly stalking and even attacking people. It's not at all unusual to come home and see a bear in the yard. And you don't have to be as far north as Sudbury.

That's why it's so ridiculous when I hear rcmp or the gov;t trying to make it harder to get guns, or store guns, or buy ammo...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

skypuppy

***Sure we have guns, just not so many. Do we feel threatened? Heck no! We just break out the hockey & baseball equipment.

Considering one of my cats was killed by a bear a couple of years ago, this is actually a serious problem. When they cancelled the spring bear hunt, bears multiplied to the point of regularly stalking and even attacking people. It's not at all unusual to come home and see a bear in the yard. And you don't have to be as far north as Sudbury.

That's why it's so ridiculous when I hear rcmp or the gov;t trying to make it harder to get guns, or store guns, or buy ammo...

Sigh... I knew there was a reason I spent the first four years here just lurking quietly on the sidelines. So much for just having a laugh at our own expense...

skypuppy

***Sure we have guns, just not so many. Do we feel threatened? Heck no! We just break out the hockey & baseball equipment.

It sucks.. but cats are on the menu for many species... We have Bald Eagles in the trees across the road overlooking the valley and any small creature is on the menu...rabbits....ducks and I have even seen one take a goose... amazing to watch.... cats... purse dogs.. even a neighbors lamb.

My cats are indoor cats for a reason.. they live to ripe old ages.. like Milo who died this spring at 23.... and Tigger is 17. We have bears transiting thru from time to time... but they have never been a big problem.. most of the neighbors are pretty good with how they handle their trash cans

SkyDekker

Considering one of my cats was killed by a bear a couple of years ago, this is actually a serious problem

Unless the bear came in your house and ate the cat, the issue is with you letting the cat outside.

I don't see the issue. One less cat, problem solved.
How does one reward the bear for his service?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

Considering one of my cats was killed by a bear a couple of years ago, this is actually a serious problem

Unless the bear came in your house and ate the cat, the issue is with you letting the cat outside.

Feed it another one?

SkyDekker

Feed it another one?

and you think this is funny, do you?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

Andy9o8

It's not at all unusual to come home and see a bear in the yard.

That's because LIFE imitates ART.

I know Art, he's got no arms or legs and leans up against the wall.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

skypuppy

Feed it another one?

Yes, specially since in another thread you are raving on about how anything that is illegal should be punished.

Not controlling your cat and having it wander of your property is technically illegal. Interesting how in this thread the problem is the bear.

SkyDekker

Feed it another one?

Yes, specially since in another thread you are raving on about how anything that is illegal should be punished.

Not controlling your cat and having it wander of your property is technically illegal. Interesting how in this thread the problem is the bear.

bullshit. letting your cat wander around is not illegal. You don't even need to register cats. Maybe you need to where you live, but I certainly don't.

The problem is indeed bears. They kill dogs, cats, livestock. They cause property damage. They do break into houses, and they have been known to actually stalk people in the area. they would be a danger to children, for that matter. We have had to teach 'bear safety' classes in schools. I don't think any of those bear safety classes included anything about attacking bears with hockey sticks or baseball bats.

In this latest example of a bear in a house, I'm guessing the home owner had a semi-auto. If not he should have. Took 3 shots to take the bear down in the kitchen. And this was just this week.

http://www.dailybulletin.ca/breaking_news/321179181.html

Unless they really have no choice, anyone trying to chase a bear away with a hockey stick is delusional.

Amazon

It's not at all unusual to come home and see a bear in the yard.

That's because LIFE imitates ART.

I know Art, he's got no arms or legs and leans up against the wall.

I know Bob... same with no arms or legs.. has a tough time in the pool.

You should see Stew when he gets in the jacuzzi.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

In the story you referenced, the police were telling people who encountered Black Bears in Sudbury with their hockey sticks to "don't do it". Now a Black Bear while still dangerous is not as hostile as a Grizzly Bear or a Polar Bear would be. So yeah while it may not be the smartest thing to do, often the Black Bear will be more afraid of hostile hockey players (who's not afraid of hostile hockey players except other hostile hockey players), than the human would be afraid of the Bear. Years ago while Mountain Biking just outside of Golden BC I had a close encounter with a Black Bear on the trail and fortunately for me, it was more scared of me than I was of it. It didn't hurt that I was riding the bike downhill at great velocity when I came around the corner, slamming on my brakes to avoid Yogi's cousin on the trail. It might have been a different story if my encountered occurred while I was going much slower on an uphill slope. But I would not recommend chasing a Grizzly or Polar Bear with a hockey stick. That's just dumb. You can survive a Bear attack without a firearm by playing dead and hope the Bear isn't all that interested in you. But if the Bear attacks, a firearm could come in handy. Of course I have never packed while Mountain Biking. Oh and I also once had a close encounter with a Bull while Mountain Biking near Bragg Creek here in Alberta and I was much more scared of that Bull that I was with my Black Bear encounter. That Bull would have stomped me flat as a pancake if it wanted to. Fortunately after about a minute of staring at each other, it lost interest and went the other way. But watch out for the Cougars. They are relentless, especially if you are a young'ish 20 something year old male. Luckily for me Cougars are no longer interested in me.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

skypuppy

Feed it another one?

Is that a trick question?

CanuckInUSA

In the story you referenced, the police were telling people who encountered Black Bears in Sudbury with their hockey sticks to "don't do it". Now a Black Bear while still dangerous is not as hostile as a Grizzly Bear or a Polar Bear would be. So yeah while it may not be the smartest thing to do, often the Black Bear will be more afraid of hostile hockey players (who's not afraid of hostile hockey players except other hostile hockey players), than the human would be afraid of the Bear. Years ago while Mountain Biking just outside of Golden BC I had a close encounter with a Black Bear on the trail and fortunately for me, it was more scared of me than I was of it. It didn't hurt that I was riding the bike downhill at great velocity when I came around the corner, slamming on my brakes to avoid Yogi's cousin on the trail. It might have been a different story if my encountered occurred while I was going much slower on an uphill slope. But I would not recommend chasing a Grizzly or Polar Bear with a hockey stick. That's just dumb. You can survive a Bear attack without a firearm by playing dead and hope the Bear isn't all that interested in you. But if the Bear attacks, a firearm could come in handy. Of course I have never packed while Mountain Biking. Oh and I also once had a close encounter with a Bull while Mountain Biking near Bragg Creek here in Alberta and I was much more scared of that Bull that I was with my Black Bear encounter. That Bull would have stomped me flat as a pancake if it wanted to. Fortunately after about a minute of staring at each other, it lost interest and went the other way. But watch out for the Cougars. They are relentless, especially if you are a young'ish 20 something year old male. Luckily for me Cougars are no longer interested in me.

There have been at least a couple of different cases around here in the last couple of years where black bears have broken into homes. In one the owner's dog was killed and the owner chased out the front door and along the driveway where he was mauled until a couple of neighbors came along in a car and chased the bear away... Again, unless you have no choice, you shouldn't be trying to use a stick to defend yourself.

SkyDekker

Feed it another one?

still curious as to why you would state something like this which is PATENTLY FALSE. There are no laws about cats in my municipality. Indeed, in nearby Orillia they state there is no bylaw to prohibit cats from running at large.

Stating something like this the way you did, when it turns out to be false, casts doubt on your credibility basically in all the things you seem to like to argue about...

Aside from the fact that I own several acres around my house, so he would have to go quite a ways.

The problem is indeed bears. They kill dogs, cats, livestock. They cause property damage.

Cats kill birds, rabbits etc and mark territory by spraying or digging on property, causing damage.

You are just angry you can't cuddle with the local grizzly.

SkyDekker

The problem is indeed bears. They kill dogs, cats, livestock. They cause property damage.

Cats kill birds, rabbits etc and mark territory by spraying or digging on property, causing damage.

You are just angry you can't cuddle with the local grizzly.

again, no explanation as to why you make a totally FALSE statement, in such a tone as to imply you know for a fact it's illegal to let a cat roam and infer there's no argument -- except that it isn't technically illegal and your statement was wrong. How many other false statements have you made?

Especially in the tone of your statement that you find it FUNNY that an animal was killed?