piisfish

Damned ecologists....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/07/colorado-river-epa-mine-wastewater-spill/31320641/

The Environmental Protection Agency took responsibility Friday for inadvertently polluting a Colorado river with 1 million gallons of toxic orange wastewater while trying to clean up an abandoned gold mine.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The EPA definitely screwed this one up.

However, we should not lose sight of the fact that the "toxic orange wastewater" mess they were trying to clean up was created by a mining company that had walked away, and left the mess for someone else to deal with.

Don

GeorgiaDon

However, we should not lose sight of the fact that the "toxic orange wastewater" mess they were trying to clean up was created by a mining company that had walked away, and left the mess for someone else to deal with.

Don

Hey that is the way it works.. a few make the obscene profits... then the mine become less profitable and its transferred to a shell company that goes bankrupt... the costs of cleaning up the site is ALWAYS left to the people

GeorgiaDon

Don

Tell me you're not try to defend their MAJOR fuckup.:S
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

***The EPA definitely screwed this one up.

Don

Can you even read... like the first line of their reply. Friggin Drama queens:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

******The EPA definitely screwed this one up.

Don

Can you even read... like the first line of their reply. Friggin Drama queens:SYou read the second paragraph? Drama Queen? I live in the S.W. and we are in a severe drought. Cali depends on that river for a lot of their water and they just fucked up bigtime. FUCK YOU. Would you me to take a shit in your drinking water?
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

kallend

EPA wouldn't have to be involved at all if the mining company had taken care of its own mess. EPA didn't create the shit.

And Obama care wouldn't exist if the insurance companies didn't create the shit either, right?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

akarunway

*********The EPA definitely screwed this one up.

Don

Can you even read... like the first line of their reply. Friggin Drama queens:SYou read the second paragraph? Drama Queen? I live in the S.W. and we are in a severe drought. Cali depends on that river for a lot of their water and they just fucked up bigtime. FUCK YOU. Would you me to take a shit in your drinking water?

:ph34r::ph34r: yeah you're not a drama queen:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Learn comprehension. (reading for understanding)
he states that the EPA screwed up big time...(i.e. recognition of their screw up) he then goes onto highlight the need for the people who left the mess in the first place to ALSO be held accountable.

you chose to be a princess about his post, seemingly without any actual understanding of it.

so yes creating un-needed drama, ergo, Drama queen..
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

ryoder

Reminds me of the water in most of the east....every imaginable shade. I like this clear stuff we have here in most of Washington
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=eagle+falls+skykomish+river&id=5DB589DFD5A90AEFC0FE84148A82A9898E9C5931&FORM=IQFRBA

Amazon

***The EPA definitely screwed this one up.

Don

Hey that is the way it works.. a few make the obscene profits... then the mine become less profitable and its transferred to a shell company that goes bankrupt... the costs of cleaning up the site is ALWAYS left to the people

well, from what I read the mine hadn't been worked since the 1920's. So I don't know if the company would even be around. And in the 1920's there probably weren't a lot of rules about it...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

skypuppy

Don

well, from what I read the mine hadn't been worked since the 1920's. So I don't know if the company would even be around. And in the 1920's there probably weren't a lot of rules about it...

Some are still around.. at least the families who owned them... and the names get changed every few years depending on production.

True dat. The EPA had been trying to certify this as a Superfund site, and give Colorado money under that certification. However, Colorado was resisting, because a Superfund site is worse for tourism than an old abandoned cave full of toxic stuff.

Kind of like a skydiving fatality, there are lots of links in the chain, and assigning the cause to only one of them misses the bigger picture and earlier, cheaper, ways to deal with the issue.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Here a a good history of what happened: http://www.vox.com/2015/8/10/9126853/epa-mine-spill-animas

Incidentally, some years back I was cycling up a canyon, and ran out of water when I stopped at the store in the tiny town of Raymond.

I got to talking the guy working there about the fact I was traveling near a mountain stream and was getting close to just filling my bottles out of the stream. His eyes got wide and told me under no circumstances should I ever drink from a stream in this area, and proceeded to tell me about the runoff from the old mines.

It turns out his hobby was collecting old maps, and documenting the history of the old CO gold mines.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

skypuppy

Don

Right, and that is why we still have Superfund sites, and that is why the EPA was created in the first place - corporations couldn't be bothered to clean up the toxic stinking messes they created unless forced to. The EPA is one of Richard "I am not a crook" Nixon's best achievements.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I learned about this from a "mining hobbyist" who works at a convenience store in Bergen Park:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_Tunnel

Be sure to read the "Environmental remediation" section about what happened in 1980.
Sound familiar?
And it didn't even need the EPA to trigger it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I learned about this from a "mining hobbyist" who works at a convenience store in Bergen Park:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_Tunnel

Be sure to read the "Environmental remediation" section about what happened in 1980.
Sound familiar?
And it didn't even need the EPA to trigger it.

There are literally hundreds of those mine sites all over the west.. just waiting to pollute any nearby stream should it be a wet year with water intrusion into the old mines.... to overflow out of tunnels.

The problem is all the metals and acid that leaches crap from the rocks in the mines... they are all over Washington... and every other state where hard rock mines have intersected a source of groundwater.

The stuff is nasty.... but the money was made long ago by those who matter.. the cleanup is left to the American Taxpayer not the people who took the money and ran.