2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

It'll be 100 years before Americans lose their erections over firearms. Slowly we'll see more restriction and by about 2200 we'll be in the same boat as the rest of the world.

The only reason we'll lose our hard-ons for firearms is because we'll have awesome laser guns by then.

- Dan G

Bob_Church

***^^^ Bingo. we build shitty laws deliberately and then go "See? It didn't work!"

My brother is a felon who did two years for a gun related crime. He has an arsenal. Most people who aren't into guns have no idea how those who do like guns think, and of course the sheer number of guns. This obviously isn't anything like automobiles, in fact I can't think of anything it is like. But it's going to take some new and realistic thinking to do anything about gun violence. I confess that I have no idea what would work, but it seems obvious to me why the current laws don't. They just aren't realistic. Gun foes don't understand the reality of guns or how gun proponents think. And just to be clear, I don't mean that to be a criticism of gun owners, just what I think the reality of the situation is.

So your brother is a convicted felon and has an arsenal by your own statement. Have you alerted the LEO's about this? It seems you are concerned about people that should not have guns having them. I would think home is a good place to start.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

******^^^ Bingo. we build shitty laws deliberately and then go "See? It didn't work!"

My brother is a felon who did two years for a gun related crime. He has an arsenal. Most people who aren't into guns have no idea how those who do like guns think, and of course the sheer number of guns. This obviously isn't anything like automobiles, in fact I can't think of anything it is like. But it's going to take some new and realistic thinking to do anything about gun violence. I confess that I have no idea what would work, but it seems obvious to me why the current laws don't. They just aren't realistic. Gun foes don't understand the reality of guns or how gun proponents think. And just to be clear, I don't mean that to be a criticism of gun owners, just what I think the reality of the situation is.

So your brother is a convicted felon and has an arsenal by your own statement. Have you alerted the LEO's about this? It seems you are concerned about people that should not have guns having them. I would think home is a good place to start.

Ok, you can sleep despite being that sort of a person. I couldn't.

So you would rather sit by and wait to see if he does something and than say I wish somebody would have done something to stop this from happening.

I know it is not easy turning in a relative. But to post that we need more gun control efforts and than to post that you brother is violating the laws we have All ready, but you do nothing about that is slightly hipocritic.

I am a law abiding gun owner, and it gets to me that many people will rally for stricter gun laws but will not do anything about people they know are violating our current laws. If my siblings were a prohibited person I would give them the chance to to get rid of the guns and become legal or I would drop the dime if they didn't.

Labels make for easy laws, but not ones that work. That's been mostly the point of this whole discussion. My brother was with some other people 35 years ago when he was 18 and one thing stolen was a gun. Now he is a felon with a gun spec. But despite that he's able to buy guns and does. So on the one hand the label doesn't keep him from getting guns. On the other hand, being with some other 18 years old who robbed a house that happened to have a gun in it 35 years ago doesn't mean he's going to shoot up a Mall tomorrow. The label has nothing to do with who he is. Besides, he'd be a new risk, mass shooters in a wheelchair. No, he wan't crippled in a gun fight, but a motorcycle wreck. I know a lot of people that I think are scary with a gun but there's no law keeping them from it. No label.
The label makes for an easy law which does absolutely nothing except make us feel like we've taken care of the problem. Until we get reminded again that it doesn't work. That lasts maybe two weeks, tops. What I've said is I can't picture any law that would work. I'm not saying there isn't one, but it'll take someone else to come up with it and we've proven pretty well that what we're doing isn't working. As for my brother, there are few people that I would suspect less of them hurting someone. Despite his label.

BartsDaddy

So you would rather sit by and wait to see if he does something and than say I wish somebody would have done something to stop this from happening.

I know it is not easy turning in a relative. But to post that we need more gun control efforts and than to post that you brother is violating the laws we have All ready, but you do nothing about that is slightly hipocritic.

I am a law abiding gun owner, and it gets to me that many people will rally for stricter gun laws but will not do anything about people they know are violating our current laws. If my siblings were a prohibited person I would give them the chance to to get rid of the guns and become legal or I would drop the dime if they didn't.

Bob_Church

"My brother was with some other people 35 years ago when he was 18 and one thing stolen was a gun."

About two weeks earlier he'd accidentally killed his best friend while cutting firewood. He went a little nuts for awhile.

Please explain a litle?

Bob_Church

Labels make for easy laws, but not ones that work. That's been mostly the point of this whole discussion. My brother was with some other people 35 years ago when he was 18 and one thing stolen was a gun. Now he is a felon with a gun spec. But despite that he's able to buy guns and does. So on the one hand the label doesn't keep him from getting guns. On the other hand, being with some other 18 years old who robbed a house that happened to have a gun in it 35 years ago doesn't mean he's going to shoot up a Mall tomorrow. The label has nothing to do with who he is. Besides, he'd be a new risk, mass shooters in a wheelchair. No, he wan't crippled in a gun fight, but a motorcycle wreck. I know a lot of people that I think are scary with a gun but there's no law keeping them from it. No label.
The label makes for an easy law which does absolutely nothing except make us feel like we've taken care of the problem. Until we get reminded again that it doesn't work. That lasts maybe two weeks, tops. What I've said is I can't picture any law that would work. I'm not saying there isn't one, but it'll take someone else to come up with it and we've proven pretty well that what we're doing isn't working. As for my brother, there are few people that I would suspect less of them hurting someone. Despite his label.

***So you would rather sit by and wait to see if he does something and than say I wish somebody would have done something to stop this from happening.

If he is a convicted felon like you say, he is prohibited from owning firearms unless he has received a pardon.

BartsDaddy

***"My brother was with some other people 35 years ago when he was 18 and one thing stolen was a gun."

About two weeks earlier he'd accidentally killed his best friend while cutting firewood. He went a little nuts for awhile.

Please explain a litle?

He got drunk with some friends and they broke into a house. He mostly went along because of the girls, but then one of the girls wrote all of their names on a wall with lipstick. We're not talking Bonny and Clyde here.

DanG

It'll be 100 years before Americans lose their erections over firearms. Slowly we'll see more restriction and by about 2200 we'll be in the same boat as the rest of the world.

The only reason we'll lose our hard-ons for firearms is because we'll have awesome laser guns by then.

That's along the lines of my other thought that a projectile weapon will be a laughable relic of the past. I'm sure we'll come of with some sort of bio-mechanical weapon sniffer that's grown in a lab from bloodhound nose dna that'll provide instant detection along with a focused energy beam that renders the gunpowder inert. Then you put one on any city street corner. Poof, gun don't work.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Bob_Church

******"My brother was with some other people 35 years ago when he was 18 and one thing stolen was a gun."

Please explain a litle?

He got drunk with some friends and they broke into a house. He mostly went along because of the girls, but then one of the girls wrote all of their names on a wall with lipstick. We're not talking Bonny and Clyde here.

What's the story on the accidentally killed his best friend while cutting firewood thing?

chutem

*********"My brother was with some other people 35 years ago when he was 18 and one thing stolen was a gun."

Please explain a litle?

What's the story on the accidentally killed his best friend while cutting firewood thing?

He was up the tree with a chainsaw. Steve was standing away from the tree. Then Larry cut a limb, then looked over and Steve wasn't over where he had been a moment before, he was under the limb. There was a lot of serious talk about Steve doing it on purpose.He had a lot of personal troubles and there was no reason for him to go over there then. Larry is the sort to blame himself for everything so that's what he did. If Steve did do it on purpose it was a prick move. He could have done it in a way that didn't ruin a good friend's life.

The headline:
President Trump is set to sign the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act, which contains an amendment that allows U.S. citizens to acquire military surplus 1911 pistols.

The fake news:
According to the International Business Times, it currently costs the U.S. military approximately $2 a day to store one pistol, and there are an estimated 100,000 1911s that are being stored. So that is a $200,000 expenditure the military can erase and replace with a profit, or at least of a recoup of costs, by selling the firearms.

The source:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/11/24/trump-permit-citizens-buy-military-surplus-1911-pistols/

I tried to find the original source of the report "$2 a day to store one pistol". but if you believe that. I have some oceanfront land on the shores of Prudhoe Bay, with swaying palm trees. To sell to you.

Not sure if only 3 dead counts as a mass shooting.

Alleged perp is a youth pastor.

www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/three-in-family-found-slain-near-richmond-police-say-a-domestic-matter/2017/11/25/868000a2-d1af-11e7-9d3a-bcbe2af58c3a_story.html?utm_term=.3cf7007f8722

As a related aside, FBI data show that the person most likely to shoot you is someone you know (family, friend) rather than a stranger.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Bob_Church

***Less than 4 dead in an event doesn't count as a mass shooting. It barely qualifies as news.

It's certainly nowhere near a high score. Must try harder.

It only makes the news because it's part of the annual Thanksgiving meme.

What are you thankful for?

woo! Second amendment!! 'MURICA!

The 1st amendment is the envy of the world. The 2nd? The world is still in awe. But for an entirely different reason!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

The 1st amendment is the envy of the world. The 2nd? The world is still in awe. But for an entirely different reason!

The English Bill of Rights (1689) formed the model for the US Bill of Rights.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.