2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

SkyDekker

***>Old people die and with them their mentalities.

That's true. But looking forward to that is pretty rude.

Maybe, but Ron implied that they won't change their minds one way or the other, so that only leaves one other option.

If looking forward to a day with less racism and less people seeing each other as the enemy is rude, then I am fine with being rude.

You attacked Vietnam veterans. The Americans here will not let that just slide. They will feel obligated to challenge you. There are lines you just shouldn't cross.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

kallend

And what makes you think that, on a per-capita basis, Chicago is any worse than, say, gun friendly cities like Memphis, Little Rock, Myrtle Beach, Charleston WV, Baton Rouge, or Nashville.

Your fact-free opinion is worthless.

typical deflection, again no credibility
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

It seems to be the nature of change that it happens too fast or too slowly for most to perceive. Hard core second amendment folks need to get used to the idea that change is coming. I do not think it will be in the form of compulsory national service or military style acronym training for teachers. I think it will come about as more and more people start to think rationally about things and conclude that some weapons and accessories are actually counter productive to the notion of a free society.

Armed speech should not negate free speech. Everyone should agree on that point. We do not need military style assault weapons and high capacity magazines to be free in America. For certain we do not need them openly carried in the public square.

DICK'S Sporting Goods has had enough. Here is their press statement. Some will say they will never shop there again. I, for one, will now go there first.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

We at DICK’S Sporting Goods are deeply disturbed and saddened by the tragic events in Parkland. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the victims and their loved ones.

But thoughts and prayers are not enough.

We have tremendous respect and admiration for the students organizing and making their voices heard regarding gun violence in schools and elsewhere in our country.

We have heard you. The nation has heard you.

We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the vast majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens. But we have to help solve the problem that’s in front of us. Gun violence is an epidemic that’s taking the lives of too many people, including the brightest hope for the future of America – our kids.

Following all of the rules and laws, we sold a shotgun to the Parkland shooter in November of 2017. It was not the gun, nor type of gun, he used in the shooting. But it could have been.

Clearly this indicates on so many levels that the systems in place are not effective to protect our kids and our citizens.

We believe it’s time to do something about it.

Beginning today, DICK’S Sporting Goods is committed to the following:

We will no longer sell assault-style rifles, also referred to as modern sporting rifles. We had already removed them from all DICK’S stores after the Sandy Hook massacre, but we will now remove them from sale at all 35 Field & Stream stores.
We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age.
We will no longer sell high capacity magazines.
We never have and never will sell bump stocks that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire more rapidly.
At the same time, we implore our elected officials to enact common sense gun reform and pass the following regulations:

Ban assault-style firearms
Raise the minimum age to purchase firearms to 21
Ban high capacity magazines and bump stocks
Require universal background checks that include relevant mental health information and previous interactions with the law
Ensure a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms
Close the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks
We hope others join us in this effort to let our kids know that their pleas are being taken seriously.

Some will say these steps can’t guarantee tragedies like Parkland will never happen again. They may be correct – but if common sense reform is enacted and even one life is saved, it will have been worth it.

We deeply believe that this country’s most precious gift is our children. They are our future. We must keep them safe.

Sincerely,

Edward W. Stack
Chairman & CEO
DICK’S Sporting Goods

billeisele

And what makes you think that, on a per-capita basis, Chicago is any worse than, say, gun friendly cities like Memphis, Little Rock, Myrtle Beach, Charleston WV, Baton Rouge, or Nashville.

typical deflection, again no credibility

Another fact-free post.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

No, but it was the kind of comment that belongs inside a F2F group, because it's tacky and without context-building.

Someone I know, a Vietnam vet and just as abiding a Christian (although judgmental in different ways) made the same comment about his generation when it came to racism. His generation (and even more his elders) were just going to have to die to reach the next phase of reducing racism. Because it was so utterly ingrained, from birth, that even he couldn't really see it without deliberately focusing, and it's hard to do all the time.

But he couched it in "we" terms, rather than "you" terms. There's a difference.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Right, racism is so ingrained in that group, that they really should be forgiven for it. They can't help it, it is just how they grew up.

But of course, addressing that has to be tactfully done, we wouldn't want to offend them.

Fuck racism and fuck those who defend it by claiming it is just how they grew up and they can't change it because it takes too much effort.

We really do need that eye-rolling emoji.

You didn't address their racism. You said you hope they die.

How would you feel if Ron said he disagreed with liberals, so he hopes they all die?

If you can't see how that is inappropriate, I can't help you.

- Dan G

The guy I was talking about was acknowledging racism. He was of the opinion that the older generation of racists needs to die, because they just don’t recognize what’s racism enough.

I’m just big on catching more flies with honey, and not engaging if I can’t engage with information instead of biting. But that’s not for everyone. We need the firebrands sometimes, too.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

kallend

People say that the homicide by firearms rate is down in Chicago but it seems to be a perfect case of lying with statistics. Chicago is a huge city, geographically and population wise. Using the entire population of Chicago as a base gives very incorrect results. There are areas in Chicago where gun violence is bad, and we need to do the numbers on those areas, not the entire city.

wmw999

The guy I was talking about was acknowledging racism. He was of the opinion that the older generation of racists needs to die, because they just don’t recognize what’s racism enough.

I’m just big on catching more flies with honey, and not engaging if I can’t engage with information instead of biting. But that’s not for everyone. We need the firebrands sometimes, too.

Wendy P.

But this "old and racist" generation was part of the 60s and 70s social movement and we though racism was a thing of the past, once the old people died.

Bob_Church

***The guy I was talking about was acknowledging racism. He was of the opinion that the older generation of racists needs to die, because they just don’t recognize what’s racism enough.

Wendy P.

But this "old and racist" generation was part of the 60s and 70s social movement and we though racism was a thing of the past, once the old people died.

Unfortunately, the old people raised their children to be the same way. And we're seeing these assholes out there today.

>But this "old and racist" generation was part of the 60s and 70s social movement and
>we though racism was a thing of the past, once the old people died.

Like all groups, they're not homogenous.

In addition, racism has changed. In the 1960's, if you let blacks eat at one end of your lunch counter and gave them their own bathroom you were considered forward thinking. And they no doubt thought that they were doing so much better than the places that simply banned blacks, and once that older generation was gone, then everything would be fine.

That change in attitudes is, of course, a good thing overall; we are progressing as a society. But it also means that you can't say "there's no progress because we still see racism." We do still see it - but nowadays it's expressed differently, and 99% of the time, is a lot less onerous than being banned from schools, lunch counters and neighborhoords.

DanG

You didn't address their racism. You said you hope they die.

How would you feel if Ron said he disagreed with liberals, so he hopes they all die?

If you can't see how that is inappropriate, I can't help you.

I didn't say that I hoped they die.

I said that they will soon die off, so no need to try and change their minds.

You can just be pissed off, you don't have to add words and meanings that aren't there. I know it is the American thing to do these days, alternative facts and all, but it really isn't required.

Whatever.

I usually agree with your political views, but your presentation is often unnecessarily obnoxious. Saying, "they'll die off soon enough," is rude and unnecessary. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to offend.

And enough with the "Americans are all angry, alternative fact morons" bullshit. It's stupid and lazy. Notice I didn't say that all Canadians are haughty snobs. That would be stupid and lazy.

- Dan G

gowlerk

You attacked Vietnam veterans. The Americans here will not let that just slide. They will feel obligated to challenge you. There are lines you just shouldn't cross.

Pfft. That was 'sport' back in the late 70s and early 80s.

First they were drafted and sent thousands of miles to fight a war that was not winnable (at least not the way it was being fought). For a country that really didn't appreciate it.
Many didn't come back home, or came back seriously damaged. Some visibly, some not.
Then they were vilified. Both personally and in popular culture.

The "Crazed Viet Nam Vet" was a really popular 'bad guy'.

And vets were treated like shit. Spit on, denied jobs, ignored, left to die. Both vets who had served in Viet Nam and ordinary peace time vets. Many were thought to be drug users, 'lunatics" and overall "losers". People with real options didn't serve in the military, or at least that's what many people thought.

Seeing this happen (I was 10 when Saigon fell) was a large reason I chose not to enlist when I was younger (graduated HS in 83). The idea that vets were "heroes" and worthy of thanks was not something anyone thought of back then.

And I do find it rather ironic that Ron feels Viet Nam vets deserve special treatment because they were mistreated back then.

Really? A group of people who were treated badly in the past deserve special consideration today because of that?

Who else might that apply to?
Hmmm...
Who else might feel that way?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DanG

Whatever.

I usually agree with your political views, but your presentation is often unnecessarily obnoxious. Saying, "they'll die off soon enough," is rude and unnecessary. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to offend.

And enough with the "Americans are all angry, alternative fact morons" bullshit. It's stupid and lazy. Notice I didn't say that all Canadians are haughty snobs. That would be stupid and lazy.

So you agree I didn't say that I hoped they'd die.

Why did you feel the need to make that up?

And that was a pretty decent way of calling me stupid [golf clap] well done.

Hi Sky,

They can't help it, it is just how they grew up.

They can help it. I was born in 1940 and the N-word was as common in my house & among my friends as was Chevy.

I have changed; hopefully for the better. Now, I never use that word unless it is in some context to explain something.

People can change if they want to.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Bob,

we need to do the numbers on those areas, not the entire city.

No, not in the context of the posts. They were referring to Chicago, not some neighborhood within.

As for some neighborhood with a higher crime rate than some other neighborhood, you can find that in any large city anywhere in the world.

I would suggest that you NOT play the numbers game as your post would suggest.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob_Church

People say that the homicide by firearms rate is down in Chicago but it seems to be a perfect case of lying with statistics.

Well, you are doing it without statistics. Since 2014 the homicide by firearms rate is UP in Chicago. Coincidentally (or not), that is right around the time that the strict gun laws were relaxed and concealed carry became possible.

And even small cities have neighborhoods "on the wrong side of the tracks". It's not a uniquely Chicago phenomenon.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Sky,

They can't help it, it is just how they grew up.

They can help it. I was born in 1940 and the N-word was as common in my house & among my friends as was Chevy.

I have changed; hopefully for the better. Now, I never use that word unless it is in some context to explain something.

People can change if they want to.

Jerry Baumchen

I agree. Of course they can. It takes effort and desire.

Bob_Church

… a perfect case of lying with statistics.

It's not as easy as you might think to "lie with statistics", except maybe to those largely ignorant of that particular branch of mathematics.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

SkyDekker

I said that they will soon die off, so no need to try and change their minds.

I understand the sentiment (and didn't find the delivery particularly offensive). After all, they likely require the most effort to enlighten (for lack of a better word), and have most of their lives behind them. However, I would that the long-lasting influence they have on their grandchildren is sufficient reason to not ignore them, but to help them learn better.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!