2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

So... so far we've heard about the school resource officer that was on site at the school but never went in to confront the shooter, plus three deputies who arrived and never went in until the shootings stopped. Then the sheriff is a liberal democrat blaming the NRA, instead of blaming his men for being cowards.

Then there's Debbie Wasserman Schultz, whose district as congresswoman covers Broward county.

I have seen left wing liberals screaming GUN CONTROL, and right right conservatives screaming LIBERAL CONSPIRACY.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Debbie was sucking the sheriff's cock. :S

I haven't seen anything about the Sheriff blaming the NRA, but I haven't read much about it today. I have read that he was shocked about all four of his officers inactions. Didn't he suspend the 4 and opened an investigation into their conduct too?
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I'm stepping back from blaming the Deputy. We have a history of lynching people when we don't have all of the information and this was potentially a very confusing situation.

That said, when you take a job like this your job is to run to the sound of gunshots as fast as possible. I would like to know why he didn't do this.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

My impression was that any time a police officer rolled up on an active shooting they would establish a parameter and then would move in with backup to then deal with the situation after gaining some insight. It does little good to rush into a situation where you know the opponent has superior positioning, potentially superior weapons and a massive tactical advantage unless you know you are going to become the main target and probably die in the process. Going back to the North Hollywood shootout years ago officers learned then that if someone is attacking with the advantage it made little good to go rushing up since most of the officers that did that were seriously wounded. Depending on how the resource officer and the sheriffs were equipped (9 mm vs AR5.56 is not really a fair fight) and if the officers were not wearing body armor there is a high possibility that rushing in would have just left 3 more dead at the scene. Rushing into a situation where there is more than one gunman like Columbine would have turned out just as bad if not worse.

I am yet to see why this shooter finally quit and tried to flee with the students - out of ammo? Got scared and ran? Hit his target and just got bored? Had he holed up in a room and wanted to he could have just kept shooting anyone that came in after him thus adding to the body count.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>right right conservatives screaming LIBERAL CONSPIRACY.

Hmm. What's the conspiracy there? That a sheriff is defending the men under him? That's more just a reflex for most leaders (apparently ill-considered in this case.) To be a conspiracy it has to involve a carefully-guarded secret that is essential to the goals of the conspiracy.

to see why this shooter finally quit and tried to flee with the students - out of ammo? Got scared and ran? Hit his target and just got bored? Had he holed up in a room and wanted to he could have just kept shooting anyone that came in after him thus adding to the body count.

Well, you could really rack up the body count if you get away and do the same thing next week in the next town over. This guy had plenty more guns and ammo at home.

- Dan G

PhreeZone

My impression was that any time a police officer rolled up on an active shooting they would establish a parameter and then would move in with backup to then deal with the situation after gaining some insight. It does little good to rush into a situation where you know the opponent has superior positioning, potentially superior weapons and a massive tactical advantage unless you know you are going to become the main target and probably die in the process. Going back to the North Hollywood shootout years ago officers learned then that if someone is attacking with the advantage it made little good to go rushing up since most of the officers that did that were seriously wounded. Depending on how the resource officer and the sheriffs were equipped (9 mm vs AR5.56 is not really a fair fight) and if the officers were not wearing body armor there is a high possibility that rushing in would have just left 3 more dead at the scene. Rushing into a situation where there is more than one gunman like Columbine would have turned out just as bad if not worse.

I am yet to see why this shooter finally quit and tried to flee with the students - out of ammo? Got scared and ran? Hit his target and just got bored? Had he holed up in a room and wanted to he could have just kept shooting anyone that came in after him thus adding to the body count.

That's essentially what I was wondering about. It's not like this is the first time this has happened and it's not like there isn't training for this situation. I know my impulse would be to rush in but that's also a good way to catch a bullet having done nothing.

DJL

***My impression was that any time a police officer rolled up on an active shooting they would establish a parameter and then would move in with backup to then deal with the situation after gaining some insight. It does little good to rush into a situation where you know the opponent has superior positioning, potentially superior weapons and a massive tactical advantage unless you know you are going to become the main target and probably die in the process. Going back to the North Hollywood shootout years ago officers learned then that if someone is attacking with the advantage it made little good to go rushing up since most of the officers that did that were seriously wounded. Depending on how the resource officer and the sheriffs were equipped (9 mm vs AR5.56 is not really a fair fight) and if the officers were not wearing body armor there is a high possibility that rushing in would have just left 3 more dead at the scene. Rushing into a situation where there is more than one gunman like Columbine would have turned out just as bad if not worse.

That's essentially what I was wondering about. It's not like this is the first time this has happened and it's not like there isn't training for this situation. I know my impulse would be to rush in but that's also a good way to catch a bullet having done nothing.

"Experts on police response to mass shootings say it may be too early to condemn Broward sheriff’s deputy Scot Peterson for failing to act during the Parkland school massacre. But — from the information available now — it doesn’t look good for him.

“In training, we teach officers their first priority when they arrive is to stop the killing,” said J. Pete Blair, a professor of criminal justice and director of the Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training [ALERRT] Center at Texas State University in San Marcos.

“If there is an active shooter on scene, we train officers to ‘Isolate, distract, or neutralize’ the shooter as soon as possible,” Blair said.

Neutralize, in this context, means shoot to kill.

“Move to the sound of gunfire quickly and stop it,” is the default response that the training tries to instill in officers."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-school-shooting-experts-on-scot-peterson-20180223-story.html

Everything changed after Columbine. Police tactics changed 180 degrees. If a shooter in a school is involved. Every officer is to go to the sound of gunfire without waiting for anyone including backup.

"The Active Shooter/Killer Pledge

I have personally decided that the threats faced by my generation of police officers require that I always be armed and personally committed to furiously train to protect those who can’t protect themselves in their moment of desperate need.

If I am ever faced with an in-progress active shooter/killer and I can make a difference, I will use my superior attitude, superior training, superior tactics and superior weapon (superior because it is in my trained hands) to become an army of one!

Out of my love for humanity I will enter that environment like a hate-seeking missile and use the chaos created by the killer(s) as a distractive device. I will move unheard and unseen by the killer(s) to a position of advantage. Once there – if left with no other options and presented with the opportunity to stop the killing – I will take the shot and make the shot. I am the protector of the flock; the honorable sheepdog.
https://www.policeone.com/active-shooter-response/articles/471116006-Will-you-take-the-active-shooter-pledge/

nolhtairt

So... so far we've heard about the school resource officer that was on site at the school but never went in to confront the shooter, plus three deputies who arrived and never went in until the shootings stopped. Then the sheriff is a liberal democrat blaming the NRA, instead of blaming his men for being cowards.

Then there's Debbie Wasserman Schultz, whose district as congresswoman covers Broward county.

I have seen left wing liberals screaming GUN CONTROL, and right right conservatives screaming LIBERAL CONSPIRACY.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Debbie was sucking the sheriff's cock. :S

You are forgetting about NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch lying about the CNN Town Hall audience attacking her.

DJL

I'm stepping back from blaming the Deputy. We have a history of lynching people when we don't have all of the information and this was potentially a very confusing situation.

That said, when you take a job like this your job is to run to the sound of gunshots as fast as possible. I would like to know why he didn't do this.

I wasn't trying to trash the deputies, I was only rebutting Noailhart's post
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

lummy

***I'm stepping back from blaming the Deputy. We have a history of lynching people when we don't have all of the information and this was potentially a very confusing situation.

I wasn't trying to trash the deputies, I was only rebutting Noailhart's post

Yup. You were just the click above me while I was thinking about the issue.

Hi Eric,

It does little good to rush into a situation where you know the opponent has superior positioning, potentially superior weapons and a massive tactical advantage

Looks to me like you are behind the times: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-says-he-would-have-run-florida-school-n851266

Yes, I do know that this belongs in the JOKE OF THE DAY thread.

:S

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Eric,

It does little good to rush into a situation where you know the opponent has superior positioning, potentially superior weapons and a massive tactical advantage

Looks to me like you are behind the times: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-says-he-would-have-run-florida-school-n851266

Jerry Baumchen
Cadet Walter "Bonespurs" Mitty to the rescue!

Don

rifleman

Further to the insanity of teachers carrying guns, now Iowa allows the legally blind to have a carry permit:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/08/iowa-grants-gun-permits-to-the-blind/2780303/

I have nothing against blind people shooting on a range under the supervision of a range officer but a carry permit?

That was a decision made by the Iowa courts!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

"A Georgia Republican’s threat to Delta: Stop boycotting the NRA, or you won’t get your tax break"

www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/02/26/georgia-republicans-threat-to-delta-stop-boycotting-the-nra-or-lose-your-tax-breaks/?utm_term=.f508c33cb50c

1. How can it possibly pass muster for the government to blackmail a corporation into giving financial support to any special interest group?

2. How is NOT giving a discount to NRA members discriminating against them? Sure the discrimination is against the rest of us when they DO give a discount to the NRA and the rest of us have to pay full fare.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

2. How is NOT giving a discount to NRA members discriminating against them? Sure the discrimination is against the rest of us when they DO give a discount to the NRA and the rest of us have to pay full fare subsidize the discount.

It would seem that when conservative WASPs do not receive special treatment, that constitutes discrimination in their minds.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

GeorgiaDon

***Hi Eric,

Jerry Baumchen
Cadet Walter "Bonespurs" Mitty to the rescue!

Don

I know I sound like a typical basher here but I think we all know that Trump would never run towards the sound of gunshots.

rushmc

***Further to the insanity of teachers carrying guns, now Iowa allows the legally blind to have a carry permit:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/08/iowa-grants-gun-permits-to-the-blind/2780303/

I have nothing against blind people shooting on a range under the supervision of a range officer but a carry permit?

Blind Liberty. Sounds like a good action movie.

DJL

******Further to the insanity of teachers carrying guns, now Iowa allows the legally blind to have a carry permit:

Blind Liberty. Sounds like a good action movie.

Too late.

Blind Fury

And, on a serious note, "legally blind" is simply a definition. It's a level of vision that is the legal threshold.

Legally blind people can get driver's licenses in many states.
And have been able to for a long time.

Where's the outcry on that?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I think I remember seeing Blind Fury as a kid and thinking it was absolutely awesome. This of course was the era of American Ninja, Delta Force and Beastmaster.

>I know I sound like a typical basher here but I think we all know that Trump would
>never run towards the sound of gunshots.

Well, remember, after his "personal Vietnam" he said "I feel like a great and very brave soldier."

And he has an iron constitution:

“I’m not good for medical. In other words, if you cut your finger and there’s blood pouring out, I’m gone.”

And he was always willing to help out his fellow man. When an 80 year old man slipped and smashed his head on the floor in his club, he had this to say:

"I said, ‘Oh my God, that’s disgusting,’ and I turned away. I didn’t want to touch him … he’s bleeding all over the place, I felt terrible. You know, beautiful marble floor, didn’t look like it. It changed color. Became very red. And you have this poor guy, 80 years old, laying on the floor unconscious, and all the rich people are turning away. ‘Oh my God! This is terrible! This is disgusting!’ And you know, they’re turning away. Nobody wants to help the guy.”

“I was saying, ‘Get that blood cleaned up! It’s disgusting! The next day, I forgot to call to say he’s okay.”

Surely someone like that feels he has no choice but to run towards bloodshed.

In other news, Georgia lieutenant governor Casey Cagle threatened he would punish Delta airlines via the Georgia state government if they stopped giving the NRA bennies (discounted tickets.)

“I will kill any tax legislation that benefits @Delta unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with @NRA. Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back.”

So thoughts and prayers for the victims. Nothing can be done. Too early to talk about solutions. But it's never too early to give the NRA (which = "conservatives") some bennies via the government. They are entitled to them!

billvon

In other news, Georgia lieutenant governor Casey Cagle threatened he would punish Delta airlines via the Georgia state government if they stopped giving the NRA bennies (discounted tickets.)

“I will kill any tax legislation that benefits @Delta unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with @NRA. Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back.”

I would love to see Delta send a one word response:

"NUTS."

So thoughts and prayers for the victims. Nothing can be done. Too early to talk about solutions. But it's never too early to give the NRA (which = "conservatives") some bennies via the government. They are entitled to them!