2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

They just gave the "setup" for today's entertainment on the news.

..."The president will address the nation shortly. In times like this, it is up to the president to provide leadership and comfort"

I'd translate the above statement as "you're pretty much fucked".
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

This could have turned out better if everyone at the concert was carrying.

Dude was shooting from a 30something floor hotel room with a fully automatic rifle. I'd think trying to shoot him with a handgun while on the ground would be pretty difficult. :|

Move along folks. Nothing to see here. Business as usual...

Public outrage for about 2 weeks. A bill proposed in congress that will never pass. All of the sympathies but absolutely no action, and of course cries of 'it's in the constitution!' anytime remedial action is suggested.

This is the 273rd (I'm told) mass shooting (4 people+) this year in the US. That's one a day...

That's the culture in America today. So yeah, keep banning those dangerous muslims and seditious gays... I hope y'all feel safer as a result. :S

but we're talking about 'Murican Patriots with their county CCP training? - you're just trying to bring logic into the argument ;)

That's the culture in America today. So yeah, keep banning those dangerous muslims and seditious gays... I hope y'all feel safer as a result. Crazy

I'm not sure who is "winning" in the culture wars. But I know for sure it is not the culture.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

That's the culture in America today. So yeah, keep banning those dangerous muslims and seditious gays... I hope y'all feel safer as a result. Crazy

I'm not sure who is "winning" in the culture wars. But I know for sure it is not the culture.

Maybe culture is the wrong word. Climate? Legacy? State of the union?

RMK

Just saw Trump's address. The term "perfunctory" best describes what I just heard.

There's not really a lot he can say is there?

'This is tragic but is the sometimes unfortunate cost of the gun freedoms we enjoy in the US'.

He's not going to wax sympathetic (because he can't do empathy), and he's not going to say 'something must be done!', so he doesn't really have many options.

Edit: to clarify. The quote above is all I think he could have reasonably said. Not what Trump actually said in his speech.

normiss

Yeah, Sandy Hook marks the end of the gun debate in the USA.
We decided then that murdering children in mass shootings was tolerable, so that's settled.

Fake news, I recognized some of the same "victims" that were at Sandy Hook, Aurora, and Dealy plaza.

nolhtairt

***This could have turned out better if everyone at the concert was carrying.

Dude was shooting from a 30something floor hotel room with a fully automatic rifle. I'd think trying to shoot him with a handgun while on the ground would be pretty difficult. :|

James Bond and John Wayne would have had not trouble doing that.

tkhayes

******This could have turned out better if everyone at the concert was carrying.

James Bond and John Wayne would have had not trouble doing that.

Not only difficult, but thousands of rounds impacting the side on the side of the hotel would have resulted in more inoccent fatalities.

RMK

Just saw Trump's address. The term "perfunctory" best describes what I just heard.

I have not watched it. But if that is the worst thing that can be said about it then it will be considered a "win" and a sign that he can be "presidential". He has certainly lowered the bar......
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

>But if that is the worst thing that can be said about it then it will be considered a "win"
>and a sign that he can be "presidential"

I wonder if he will come out with a statement blaming both sides? After all, some of those people below the Mandalay Bay didn't have a permit.

Oddly one reporter on television said "how did he get so many guns?"

WTF? He's a 64 yr old white man in the southwestern US; he was probably given complementary membership to the "Gun of the Month Club".

This just reminded me of a photo of a Food Lion Supermarket magazine rack in the US that I took on my last trip to the US (attached).

yoink

***Just saw Trump's address. The term "perfunctory" best describes what I just heard.

'This is tragic but is the sometimes unfortunate cost of the gun freedoms we enjoy in the US'.

Unfortunate? Getting a speeding ticket is unfortunate. Suffering from a sinus cold is unfortunate.

aphid

******Just saw Trump's address. The term "perfunctory" best describes what I just heard.

Unfortunate? Getting a speeding ticket is unfortunate. Suffering from a sinus cold is unfortunate.

He can't say anything else - He won't even go that far, to be honest.
Even making the statement I suggested above crosses the line that suggests owning guns is part of the reason in how mass killings happen. [:/]

RMK

This could have turned out better if everyone at the concert was carrying.

Funny how that conjures up a memory of the sniper suppression scene from Full Metal Jacket: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mMQLxBnokg0/SGNW20mABLI/AAAAAAAAAKI/SizzvWoHwUg/s320/FMJ2.jpg

Not sure there would have been any glass left on that side of the hotel - or on all the other hotels in all directions.

When I first saw the story this morning, my first thought was "I've stayed at Mandalay Bay; there aren't any balconies; he would have had to shoot out the glass which could have really injured someone below". Then I stopped.

Yeah, I thought to myself that most high rises don't have opening windows. Listening to some of the audio you first hear a short burst, a pause and then longer ones.

I thought, yup, that was him shooting out the window and that was him opening up on the crowd. [:/]