2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

Phil1111

fuck the unions I am sure at one time they were necessary. Now they are nothing more than organized criminals. Forcing people to join or at least pay their dues. They add another layer of cost to every job. They make it impossible to fire an employee that deserves to be fired. When the workers vote the union out in their democratic process they will force the company out of business. Check out the salaries of the union bosses and they claim the CEO's are raping the companies???
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

riggerrob

Sadly,
American gun culture is moving north of the border.
Sunday evening (2018, July 22) a lone gun man shot at pedestrians and restaurant patrons along Toronto’s Danforth Avenue, killing two and wounding another 13. When police arrived, they exchanged gunfire with the suspect. He was found dead, a short distance down Danforth Avenue. It is not clear if the shooter was as felled by a police bullet or he committed suicide. The shooter’s family made a public statement about his depression and psychosis. Police are trying to determine how he obtained a (restricted) hand gun.
Thanks USA!

Pretty fucking pathetic. Never thought someone like you Rob would be such a brain washed sheeple. I am sure you find comfort over at the Communist Broadcasting Corporation who continue to pedal their propaganda that Faisal Hussain is a victim with a long history of mental disorders and not a cold blooded killer and that this shooting was all the USA's fault. Problem is, is that it is all bullshit. Faisal Hussain, his comatosed brother and his closest friends have a history of criminal activity in Canada. The gun was not from the USA, the gun was stolen from Saskatoon

https://torontosun.com/news/national/friend-of-alleged-greektown-assassin-accused-of-possessing-historic-drug-firearm-arsenal?video_autoplay=true

and the person who claimed Mr Hussain has a long history mental disorders was not the family, but in reality a Muslim activist with close ties to the leftist NDP.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/furey-meet-the-spin-doctor-behind-the-hussain-family-statement?video_autoplay=true

What's next? Going after all legal firearms owners even though they have absolutely nothing to do with this domestic Islamic Terrorist crime?

https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/ban-handgun-sales-in-city-council

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Despite your obviously angry rant, people like Rob are not brain washed. More likely you are brain washed into thinking that a society gains instead of loses by have more killing machines in it. Just because people want gun control does not make them "sheeple". It makes them leaders in the fight against the madness of gun obsession that has overtaken large parts of American society. Your name calling outburst is a perfect example.

The source of the particular weapon used is irrelevant to both the incident and to Rob's post. American gun culture is influencing some people here. But it will be strongly resisted by most of Canadian society because like most of the world we are not gun crazed idiots here.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Despite your obviously angry rant, people like Rob are not brain washed. More likely you are brain washed into thinking that a society gains instead of loses by have more killing machines in it. Just because people want gun control does not make them "sheeple". It makes them leaders in the fight against the madness of gun obsession that has overtaken large parts of American society. Your name calling outburst is a perfect example.

The source of the particular weapon used is irrelevant to both the incident and to Rob's post. American gun culture is influencing some people here. But it will be strongly resisted by most of Canadian society because like most of the world we are not gun crazed idiots here.

Talk about brainwashed!:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Dear Gowlerk,
Thanks for writing what was on my mind.
I am of two minds on the whole issue of gun control.
Before I was a teenager, I was part of “the gun culture” father a shooter on the Canadian Olympic Team and army reserve officer, hunting camp, Bronze medal at the 1973 Quebec Summer Games, 13 years service in the Canadian Armed Forces, etc. I satisfied my curiosity about machine guns and rocket launchers by age 20.

However, I fear the Americans fascination with guns and consider it unhealthy.
OTOH I now live in a suburb and mostly associate with liberals. Most of my liberal friends know little about them and are terrified of “assault weapons.” Insert liberal, NIMBY rhetoric here....
Ironically, I share a paranoi - about government control of small arms - with American, right-wing, gun-owners. I do not own any restricted pistols because that would require telling gov’t precisely how many weapons I own and where I store them. Similarly, I did not buy any firearms during the Long Gin Registry because of paranoia. Eventually Parliament decided that the Long Gun Registry was a huge waste of tax dollars that made little difference to crime rates.

Mind you, I fear fanatics on any edge of the spectrum. Only 2 drug dealers have been shot in my suburb over the last decade, so - like most Vancouverites - I believe that I can reduce my risk of violence to almost zero by avoiding the drug trade. Only two people have offered to fist-fight me (during this century) and both were suspended (from work) for issuing threats. My risk of violence is so low that I only carry a pocket knife. My size, situational awareness and stride paint me as such a difficult target for muggers that none have ever tried.

In conclusion, I am comfortable with guns in the hands of competent owners - and Canadians Gun Laws - but fear guns in the hands of bumbling amateurs, petty criminals, religious fanatics or political fanatics.
OTOH I intensely fear guns in the hands of “psychologically challenged” people. That list includes most drug dealers and addicts.
Still not sure where I fit in the bigger political spectrum??????

“Sheeple?”
You are the first person to call me “Sheeple.”
Hah!
Hah!

I am far too paranoid to blindly follow any single political agenda.
I listen/read/watch a variety of news sources and eventually reach my own conclusion. My reaching my own conclusions makes true-believers - on both ends of the spectrum - uncomfortable. I often reach conclusions distinct from mainstream, politically-correct rhetoric.

I am especially skeptical about family members’ statements in support of criminals. Either they were willfully blind to their relatives bad behaviour, or dogmatically support them inspite of damning evidence.

CanuckInUSA: thanks for providing far more background - on the Danforth Avenue shooter - than any of the mainstream media. Now that I understand his criminal background, I have far less sympathy for him.
You miss-read my comment about “psychologically challenged” criminals. I do not believe that society should cut mentally disturbed patients any more slack. Instead, I believe their guilt permeates family, friends and authorities who knew they were potentially violent, but did little to stop them. At best, they should be confined to mental hospitals for the rest of their lives.

yoink

***Canada is nowhere near the US in shooting numbers but not as low as many people would like to think either.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-28/toronto-shooting-canada-guns-in-america/10041096

It's a LOT lower.

Last year there were 8,313 gun related murders in the US. There were 172 in Canada.

5 per 000,000 for Canada
36 per 000,000 for USA
https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/americas/us-gun-statistics/index.html

Toronto is not representative of Canada.

Phil1111

5 per 000,000 for Canada
36 per 000,000 for USA

I'm pretty sure there is a typo there.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Bob_Church

I posted that it's far less than the US but more than many people think, so I'm not sure what all of this is supposed to signify.
It seems to confirm what I said.

You left it extremely vague.

Canada seems mostly in line with most of the rest of the developed world so for me it's not 'more than I'd think'.

What number do you think 'many' people think it would be? And what do you mean by 'many'?

yoink

***I posted that it's far less than the US but more than many people think, so I'm not sure what all of this is supposed to signify.

Canada seems mostly in line with most of the rest of the developed world so for me it's not 'more than I'd think'.

What number do you think 'many' people think it would be? And what do you mean by 'many'?

No offense, but what would that accomplish? I'll pass.
But I think the article is interesting. Give it a read.

Sort of edit: I think the thing I really like about the article is that while it is about a growing gun problem they're talking about ways to fix it now, while they still have a shot at it. It's a nice change over most gun stories and I'm hoping they really do work it out.

Bob_Church

******I posted that it's far less than the US but more than many people think, so I'm not sure what all of this is supposed to signify.

No offense, but what would that accomplish? I'll pass.
But I think the article is interesting. Give it a read.

Accomplish? Nothing at all. Like every post in here...

You made a statement of fact: that the gun crime rate in Canada ‘is more than many people think’.
I’m simply asking you to back that statement up... this is a discussion forum, after all.

As I stated, when you look at the numbers Canada seems comparable with other western countries except the US, so your statement that it’s higher than many expect leads to theee possible conclusions; either many people have unrealistic expectations, or many people don’t know the actual numbers, or it’s simply not ‘many people’...
where are you drawing that data from to make that statement? I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask.

If you said ‘more than I’d have expected’ then we’d be having a different conversation.

dmcoco84

***Seven schoolchildren stabbed to death in northern China

The suspect told the authorities he had been bullied when he was a pupil at the school, had hated his classmates and decided to use a dagger to kill people on Friday, the bureau said.

12 more were wounded: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/27/school-children-stabbed-death-china

Update: 9 killed; 19 wounded.

%guncontrol %#

You Dead MuhFucka!!

"Capt. Mathews says when the suspect exited the restaurant, he was confronted by a citizen who took out his own firearm, shooting and killing the suspect." -- http://www.news9.com/story/38274025/2-shot-at-least-1-dead-at-restaurant-on-lake-hefner-in-nw-okc

%guncontrol %#

You Dead Too, MuhFucka!!

"Yeah, my son defended himself. It could have been the other way around. It could have been my son, I’m the one I’m picking up and having to bury, but it wasn’t." -- https://www.wcbi.com/teen-allegedly-shoots-uncle-self-defense/

"Is that the first time that he’s done anything like this?" Asks WCBI. - "No, that’s not the first time. I have some videos where he came into my yard with two machetes, threatening my husband, and everything."

%racistguncontrolBS %guncontrol

Oh Lord Jesus, It's A Unicorn!

Homeowner speaks out after he shoots, kills two burglary suspects inside home
https://www.fox13memphis.com/top-stories/homeowner-speaks-out-after-he-shoots-kills-two-burglary-suspects-inside-home/761697181

'I just let loose.' Homeowner uses AK-47 to kill burglars who shot at his friend, cops say
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article212474004.html

Facing down two armed robbers, homeowner grabs his ‘own, personal AK-47.’ Intruders don’t last long.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/06/04/facing-down-two-armed-robbers-homeowner-grabs-his-own-personal-ak-47-intruders-dont-last-long

%guncontrol %nooneneeds30rounds %nooneneedsanAR15BS

You Almost Dead, MuhFucka!! -- Head Shot!!

According to WFTV-TV, shots rang out at the event around 5:20 p.m. on Saturday after a fistfight. One of the individuals involved in the fight later came back to the park where the back-to-school event was ongoing and opened fire, endangering the lives of dozens of children.

That’s when a bystander — who was legally licensed to carry a firearm — drew his weapon and fired on the gunman, shooting him in the head.

%gunfreezone %guncontrol %#

Jacksonville shooting at video gaming event

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45315970

Local media report that at least four people have been killed, and at least 11 others are injured.

Police have not confirmed the exact numbers.

According to the Los Angeles Times, a gamer opened fire after losing, then killed himself. The report, which quoted messages from another gamer, could not immediately be confirmed.

Thoughts / prayers/ It's a tragedy / nothing can be done etc etc.

Has anyone seen the new Matt Groening cartoon on Netflix? Thoughts?

Oh, and should I have sushi or pizza for dinner tonight?

>Thoughts / prayers/ It's a tragedy / nothing can be done etc etc.

Give it time.

If it turns out someone else with a gun shot him, then you will immediately see "Why isn't the media reporting this? The libs are scared that people will see the truth - that you need a good guy with a gun to stop these! This is PROOF we need more guns, so more people don't die. Or do you all want to be SHEEP in a VICTIM DISARMAMENT ZONE?"

If it turns out he killed himself, you will see "why all the fuss? Nothing can be done; he was crazy, and you can't stop crazy. He could have killed all those people with a pool cue. Why is the media reporting this, and not that vicious illegal alien who killed that girl?"

It all depends on which way they can spin it.

billvon

Give it time.

If it turns out someone else with a gun shot him, then you will immediately see "Why isn't the media reporting this? The libs are scared that people will see the truth - that you need a good guy with a gun to stop these! This is PROOF we need more guns, so more people don't die. Or do you all want to be SHEEP in a VICTIM DISARMAMENT ZONE?"

If it turns out he killed himself, you will see "why all the fuss? Nothing can be done; he was crazy, and you can't stop crazy. He could have killed all those people with a pool cue. Why is the media reporting this, and not that vicious illegal alien who killed that girl?"

If an illegal alien shoots you, then you are much more dead than if it's a white citizen holding the gun.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

billvon

Give it time.

It's a video game event. Those things are more dangerous than cigarettes. No wonder people are getting shot there. Guns don’t kill people, video games do.

#BanVideoGames!!

Society is at fault, not guns or the manufactures. "We" have serious mental health problems in this country and that will only continue to grow. The problem with sick people who are compelled to lash out will NEVER go away...

So what is the answer??? Arm yourself and defend you and your family? Avoid putting yourself in harms way is where I begin. I grew up in Baltimore, MD. I know a little about gun violence. I also grew up in a family with strong morals and family values, AND GUNS! I was raised to shoot/hunt at an early age. I also served in the 82ND AIRBORNE, returned to the civilian sector as an armed security guard and now play Firefighter.

So guns are ingrained in my being you could say.

So, where am I going with this rant? Mitigate the problem, because it will always be a part of us.

What caused the Moral compass train to derail???

What happened to the Mayberry towns and good vibes of the 50's.

Times change, people change... Point all the fingers, blame availability,
Blame the catholics, blame the government.

I personally would begin looking at history and laugh as you may, the Entertainment industry, AKA Hollywood. THINK ABOUT IT. When you glamorize and perpetuate (gun) violence you beget violence.

>What happened to the Mayberry towns and good vibes of the 50's.

Nothing. They existed, just as towns like that exist today. But what that view of the 50's overlooks was the racial violence and injustice which took decades to overcome. Believe it or not, the overall murder rate in the 1950's is about the same as today; we just see it more often because of our pervasive and rapid media.

One of the big things that changed, of course, were there weren't as many high magazine capacity semiauto weapons in Mayberry. Which is why you see more multiple-victim crimes today.

>When you glamorize and perpetuate (gun) violence you beget violence.

And how is that different from the westerns and detective shows of the 1950's? The good guys (cowboys, the detective, the cops) always won because they had guns. That attitude hasn't changed; if you want to "win" in life you have to have a gun.

timski

The problem with sick people who are compelled to lash out will NEVER go away...

True enough.

But people with mental health issues aren't unique to the US. Every developed nation in the world has them.
Depressed teenagers?? Jesus - that's probably 80% of all teenagers everywhere.

What IS unique to the US is the prevalence of guns and the access people have to them, and that's why this problem is only seen in one first world country... So yeah, the sick people wanting to lash out won't go away but you have to admit, it would be much harder for them to murder a bunch of people if they didn't have access to items designed specifically for that purpose.

As difficult as the gun control issue is to contemplate, it's a lot easier than to proactively prevent mental health issues.

yoink

***The problem with sick people who are compelled to lash out will NEVER go away...

True enough.

But people with mental health issues aren't unique to the US. Every developed nation in the world has them.
Depressed teenagers?? Jesus - that's probably 80% of all teenagers everywhere.

What IS unique to the US is the prevalence of guns and the access people have to them, and that's why this problem is only seen in one first world country... So yeah, the sick people wanting to lash out won't go away but you have to admit, it would be much harder for them to murder a bunch of people if they didn't have access to items designed specifically for that purpose.

As difficult as the gun control issue is to contemplate, it's a lot easier than to proactively prevent mental health issues.

PREVENTION, some of us get it...