2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

billvon

In other news, Georgia lieutenant governor Casey Cagle threatened he would punish Delta airlines via the Georgia state government if they stopped giving the NRA bennies (discounted tickets.)

“I will kill any tax legislation that benefits @Delta unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with @NRA. Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back.”

So thoughts and prayers for the victims. Nothing can be done. Too early to talk about solutions. But it's never too early to give the NRA (which = "conservatives") some bennies via the government. They are entitled to them!

I believe that bill was killed in the GA legislature today.

Glenn Beck provides an accurate time line for the breakdown of the system regarding the Parkland H.S. shooter.

http://www.glennbeck.com/2018/02/27/glenn-breaks-down-the-parkland-shooting-timeline-this-was-a-massive-failure-of-the-system/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180227GBDAILY&utm_term=Glenn%20Beck
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

How Does Israel Do It? They figured it out 40 years ago.

Actually, they did it by indoctrinating their society. Every Israeli (male and female) is required to serve (IIRC, except for those physically unable). Every adult is in the Reserve. It's ingrained into their collective psyche as a society how to behave as a cohesive community. In this situation (yes, I know Israel has a lot of other problems -- this is on topic), Israel is what many people on here and in the media have asked for: a collective buy-in to the good of the community.

Now, how do we instill that into the next generations here when we can't even agree we need to adopt this outlook ourselves?
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

Actually, they did it by indoctrinating their society. Every Israeli (male and female) is required to serve (IIRC, except for those physically unable). Every adult is in the Reserve. It's ingrained into their collective psyche as a society how to behave as a cohesive community. In this situation (yes, I know Israel has a lot of other problems -- this is on topic), Israel is what many people on here and in the media have asked for: a collective buy-in to the good of the community.

You are correct. Personally, I'm not opposed to every American serving some kind of two-three years. It can be the military, Peace Corps, or any of the others. It can be after college. But, that notion is just preposterous. I'm confident someone will be along shortly to explain it to me. ;)

Now, how do we instill that into the next generations here when we can't even agree we need to adopt this outlook ourselves?

That, is the proverbial million dollar question.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hi Keith,

I'm not opposed to every American serving some kind of two-three years. It can be the military, Peace Corps, or any of the others.

I have thought this for many years. You would serve two yrs if active duty military, or three yrs if in a non-military ( Peace Corps ) organization. And I would agree to 1 yr vs 1 1/2 yrs.

Jerry Baumchen

VISTA and Americorps are there. We don’t plan around that. I know we didn’t when my son was that age.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have thought this for many years. You would serve two yrs if active duty military, or three yrs if in a non-military ( Peace Corps ) organization. And I would agree to 1 yr vs 1 1/2 yrs.

But what about men with bone spurs?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

BIGUN

You are correct. Personally, I'm not opposed to every American serving some kind of two-three years. It can be the military, Peace Corps, or any of the others. It can be after college. But, that notion is just preposterous. I'm confident someone will be along shortly to explain it to me. ;)

That, is the proverbial million dollar question.

How would that get around the 13th Amendment?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

gowlerk

But what about men with bone spurs?

If one of our own can re-enlist as a double amputee; I'm fairly confident we can find someone with bone spurs - something to do.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Personally, I'm not opposed to every American serving some kind of two-three years. It can be the military, Peace Corps, or any of the others. It can be after college.

As long as teacher, Peace Corps, etc. counts as service, just as military does, I think it's a good idea. I oppose compulsory military service, but not necessarily compulsory service. Not everyone who is capable is well-suited for the military. Also, the military bring out the worst in some people, just as it can bring out the best in some others. (For clarification, refer to Adam and Caleb in Steinbeck's East of Eden. :)
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

As long as teacher, Peace Corps, etc. counts as service, just as military does, I think it's a good idea. I oppose compulsory military service, but not necessarily compulsory service.

My personal "betterment of mankind" proposal for years has been that everyone reaching adulthood must then work a minimum of 1 year mandatory in a customer-facing service industry - retail sales, food service etc. Within a couple generations I reckon everyone would be a hell of a lot nicer to other people in their daily interactions...
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

TriGirl

You don't mention the power of an immediate threat living next door to you. I'm not digging into the politics of that; just pointing out that there is very little more effective at pulling a disparate group of people together than an immediate threat... IMO that is the difference here.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

TriGirl

You are on target.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

One thing we don’t do is start by defining some of our countrymen as the enemy.

Also, I don’t believe the ultra-Orthodox serve in the Israeli military.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

billvon

> Personally, I'm not opposed to every American serving some kind of two-three years.
> It can be the military, Peace Corps, or any of the others. It can be after college.

Agreed. It could even be a year and it would do some good.

The difference between us and Isreal (just speaking to the room) is that as a nation they are small in numbers and defacto at war with nearly all of their neighbors. We are large in numbers and our enemies are on the opposite side of very large oceans.

I don't agree with Compulsory Service in any form. This country is about the government managing free will and a free market and service to your country should be a matter of your choice of a career path.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

BIGUN

Professor, you know damn well the SCOTUS upheld the draft on more than one occasion as not in violation of the 13rh amendment.

Military needs are within the constitutional scope of Presidential authority. I'm not sure that civilian activities are in the same category.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Professor, you know damn well the SCOTUS upheld the draft on more than one occasion as not in violation of the 13rh amendment.

Military needs are within the constitutional scope of Presidential authority. I'm not sure that civilian activities are in the same category.

OK. I'm with you. Sorry for misunderstanding. So, you're correct - but I'm also worn out with everyone thinking that there's only combat arms MOS' in the military. More directly to your statement - I agree. It would take a "program of universal national service with several levels of volunteerism built into it would enhance our military power, decrease popular opposition to mandatory service and the justifiable use of military force, and serve such valuable purposes as public health, public works, and the augmentation of teachers and social workers in disadvantaged regions of the country." https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jerome-slater/bring-back-the-draft-a-ca_b_429440.html

And, that is why I was telling TriGirl someone will be along shortly to support my "ain't ever going to happen" statement. God forbid rich Ivy Leaguers or the sons & daughters of our politicians should serve something other than their own agendas. It's a novel and good concept. I just don't think Congress could wrap its head around it AND SCOTUS might slam it for the reason you share.

SkyDekker

***So... so far we've heard about the school resource officer that was on site at the school but never went in to confront the shooter, plus three deputies who arrived and never went in until the shootings stopped. Then the sheriff is a liberal democrat blaming the NRA, instead of blaming his men for being cowards.

Then there's Debbie Wasserman Schultz, whose district as congresswoman covers Broward county.

I have seen left wing liberals screaming GUN CONTROL, and right right conservatives screaming LIBERAL CONSPIRACY.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Debbie was sucking the sheriff's cock. :S

You are forgetting about NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch lying about the CNN Town Hall audience attacking her.

I did forget about CNN giving one of the students a scripted question for an interview to fit their agenda.

nolhtairt

******So... so far we've heard about the school resource officer that was on site at the school but never went in to confront the shooter, plus three deputies who arrived and never went in until the shootings stopped. Then the sheriff is a liberal democrat blaming the NRA, instead of blaming his men for being cowards.

Then there's Debbie Wasserman Schultz, whose district as congresswoman covers Broward county.

I have seen left wing liberals screaming GUN CONTROL, and right right conservatives screaming LIBERAL CONSPIRACY.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Debbie was sucking the sheriff's cock. :S

You are forgetting about NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch lying about the CNN Town Hall audience attacking her.

I did forget about CNN giving one of the students a scripted question for an interview to fit their agenda.

You may want to expand your news sources a bit. The father and son who claimed that have already admitted to lying about that. That was after it was clearly proven they doctored the email.

Guess the truth doesn't often make it to your echo chamber of choice.

This comment refers to a story that is actually a lie created and propagated by the father of the student in question, who now admits (but only after being confronted with the actual email correspondence with CNN) that he altered CNN's email to change the meaning.

The actual sequence of events was as follows:
1. CNN invites students to submit their own questions for the town hall meeting.
2. Student submits several questions.
3. CNN asks him to choose just one so other students would also have time to ask their question.
4. Student and CNN agree on one question and a short statement.
5. Student's father emails CNN producers with a 700 word speech, several questions, and a concluding statement.
6. CNN emails back and asks the student to stick to the one question he had agreed to. The email includes that question.
7. Father edits CNNs response, altering the response to make it look as if CNN wrote the question and is feeding it to the student.
8. Father releases the altered email to the press to make it look as if the town hall meeting was staged by CNN to push an agenda.

To my mind, it doesn't get more duplicitous than that. If people believe their cause is right (father is a pro-gun Republican) why do they feel it is necessary to lie and make up "alternative facts" to convince others of their cause?

Don

wmw999

One thing we don’t do is start by defining some of our countrymen as the enemy.

Also, I don’t believe the ultra-Orthodox serve in the Israeli military.

Wendy P.

In the Vietnam veteran circles that sentiment unfortunately is strong. One thing that does not get much traction is to tell a Vietnam vet he is wrong. They still deal with coming home issues after fighting communism, not to mention PTSD.