2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

Just now from Dan Rather's FB page:

Breaking: From the AP - Devin Kelly had three gunshot wounds, one self-inflicted to the head, one in his leg and one in his torso from an armed citizen he encountered.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

:( That is some really distasteful use of scripture. By the way, the only officially commissioned examination of lost/stolen firearms entered into the NCIC database was from 2012 (a total of 190,342). Yeah one year and no mention of the total number in the database or how the data is maintained (such as kept for how long). Do the simple math and you will understand the absolute impossibility of removing firearms from the general (and law abiding) population. I would suggest you take high wingloaded canopies away from those who demonstrate unsafe handling.....no, take them away from everybody.

> I would suggest you take high wingloaded canopies away from those who demonstrate
>unsafe handling.....no, take them away from everybody.

It's a very good thing we treat canopy flight with a little more respect than we treat gun ownership.

"A license required to skydive? BULLSHIT! It is my Constitutional right to skydive! You can have my Velocity when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!"

"No skydiving after drinking? What if the bridge I am on collapses while walking home from the bar, and I have to open my parachute or die? Why not just label the bridge "FALL VICTIM ZONE?" I guess you'd just lay down and die. Coward."

"Land in a separate area when swooping? Not on your life! You parachute haters are just going to have to live with my completely competent, expert flying. What, are you a swoop-o-phobe?"

As the killings in Chicago continue every day every week, barely noticed or reported.

There's no substantial difference between one shooter and many dead versus many shooters with many dead.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

>There's no substantial difference between one shooter and many dead versus many shooters
> with many dead.

Other than the "one shooter and many dead" cases are on the rise - and they are a lot more efficient at killing innocent people.

"We have a lot of mental health problems in our country, as do other countries, but this isn't a 'guns' situation," the president told reporters during a Sunday press conference in Japan. "I mean we could go into it, but it's a little bit soon to go into it...

:o:o:o
-if other countries have the same mental health problem, why don't they have the same shooting problem ?
-when is the correct timing for getting into it ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

billvon

Trump calls the shooting a "terrible incident" and said mass shootings "can happen anywhere" - while in a country that has no mass shootings.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/donald-trump-japan-emperor-akihito-texas-mass-shooting-visit-shinzo-abe-sutherland-springs-a8041391.html

"To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you’ll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don’t forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years."
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/07/a-land-without-guns-how-japan-has-virtually-eliminated-shooting-deaths/260189/

yoink

Why is quoting a scriptural belief of the group involved not part of the discussion of the event? The only reason they were in the church is their shared belief which includes belief in Matthew's gospel.

If someone of faith were asking the question 'How / why did God allow this?' to other believers, that would be a legitimate and potentially troubling conversation for them to have.

For you as an atheist to try and start the discussion makes no sense. You're not actually interested in the replies you'd get and you didn't phrase the question in a way that had any respect or empathy for the event. That means that your motive for making the post was just some form of internet point scoring after a tragedy. THAT'S what's distasteful .

The continued rationalization is simply to try and prove you weren't being an arsehole. It's not working - You were. If it were me, I'd apologise and move on. I'm going to leave this now - if you want you can PM me.

I hope you sent some prayers for them, O righteous one.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

I hope you sent some prayers for them, O righteous one.

Nope. I'm an athiest - I don't believe in prayer. They do have my sympathies though.

And you're still being an arsehole.

Chalk this one up as a loss, professor. You're making yourself look foolish.

Perhaps someone self righteous can explain how people who thank Jesus when their team scores a touchdown or a tornado misses their house allow omnipotent God off the hook when a mass murder happens in their church.

kallend

Perhaps someone self righteous can explain how people who thank Jesus when their team scores a touchdown or a tornado misses their house allow omnipotent God off the hook when a mass murder happens in their church.

Everyone gets it, you're just making fun of a kid for believing in Santa Claus at this point.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Bashing prayer proves how little secular elites understand faith
http://thehill.com/opinion/civil-rights/359200-bashing-prayer-proves-how-little-secular-elites-understand-faithful

Well... maybe... As long as politicians like Ryan don't use the "prayer" to pander to the Christian right, to their base. Which because of my inherent skepticism of politicians. Is a given.

DJL

***Perhaps someone self righteous can explain how people who thank Jesus when their team scores a touchdown or a tornado misses their house allow omnipotent God off the hook when a mass murder happens in their church.

Everyone gets it, you're just making fun of a kid for believing in Santa Claus at this point.

This is the guy who called out Florida and Texas being punished by hurricanes for voting Republican in last year's elections.

The guy has issues. :S

nolhtairt

******Perhaps someone self righteous can explain how people who thank Jesus when their team scores a touchdown or a tornado misses their house allow omnipotent God off the hook when a mass murder happens in their church.

This is the guy who called out Florida and Texas being punished by hurricanes for voting Republican in last year's elections.

Who, Ron? Oh yes...Ron has some "interesting" views.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

kallend

That is a simple question. God is omnipotent, omnipresent AND omniscient. It is appointed unto man to die once and then the judgment (Hebrews 9:27). God is in full awareness and knowledge of who, when and how. We thank Him for one more chance.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

***Perhaps someone self righteous can explain how people who thank Jesus when their team scores a touchdown or a tornado misses their house allow omnipotent God off the hook when a mass murder happens in their church.

That is a simple question. God is omnipotent, omnipresent AND omniscient. It is appointed unto man to die once and then the judgment (Hebrews 9:27). God is in full awareness and knowledge of who, when and how. We thank Him for one more chance.
I thank you for making my point.

nolhtairt

******Perhaps someone self righteous can explain how people who thank Jesus when their team scores a touchdown or a tornado misses their house allow omnipotent God off the hook when a mass murder happens in their church.

Omniscient, omnipotent, words have meaning (unless uttered by Trump).

kallend

*********Perhaps someone self righteous can explain how people who thank Jesus when their team scores a touchdown or a tornado misses their house allow omnipotent God off the hook when a mass murder happens in their church.

Omniscient, omnipotent, words have meaning (unless uttered by Trump).

Yeah well, he's your president, like it or not.

Better than the alternative... :P

RonD1120

The simple truth of the matter is that the God of Abraham is a Capital A Asshole.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.