2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

As much as I find it bewildering to type the following sentence, I must do it anyway.

Here we go:

rushmc is 100% right on this one.

A homeowner should bear no responsibility if someone enters their home, steals their property, and then commits a crime with that stolen property.

Now, if someone I invited into my house hurts themselves (with a gun or otherwise) then I should bear some liability. That's what homeowner's insurance is for.

- Dan G

The only way to reliably stop someone from breaking into your house and stealing your firearms when you're not there is to have a monitored alarm system and a police response time* that is shorter than the theft rating of your safe that you have bolted into a concrete slab. Mandating anything between that and "secure the perimeter of the house when you're not there" and "secure firearms if minors or prohibited persons are going to, or are likely to, have access to the inside of the house" is dumb.

D.C. v. Heller established (lol) that mandating trigger locks was a no-go. More recently SCOTUS denied cert in Jackson v. San Francisco which mandates trigger locks or a locked container. The city of Los Angeles quickly ctrl+c'd; ctrl+v'd that one, and I expect that aspect of the D.C v. Heller decision will continue to be disregarded in more and more cities as time goes on and there's no reason to believe SCOTUS will do anything about it.

If you're worried about it, read a gun safety pamphlet and teach your kids what to do if they or their friends find a firearm. Further, you can ask the parents of your kids' friends before they head over or you drop them off, "Hey, are there any unsecured firearms in the house? I want to make sure there aren't."

*Police are never going to sign up to a response time for an unattended residential alarm call. (in some cases they won't sign up to responding at all)

DanG

As much as I find it bewildering to type the following sentence, I must do it anyway.

Here we go:

A homeowner should bear no responsibility if someone enters their home, steals their property, and then commits a crime with that stolen property.

Now, if someone I invited into my house hurts themselves (with a gun or otherwise) then I should bear some liability. That's what homeowner's insurance is for.

Agreed
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

Here we go:

I don't disagree, but am interested in the reasoning behind that statement.

Is it because theft is illegal, or because you believe locking it inside the house is prudent enough?

SkyDekker

***As much as I find it bewildering to type the following sentence, I must do it anyway.

Here we go:

Is it because theft is illegal, or because you believe locking it inside the house is prudent enough?

No one in our close family has believed that a closet or the old school glass display case that might be lockable.. or a gun rack on the wall is sufficient to keep our little folk from being curious OR from a possible burglar break in for at least 50 years. Gun safes are just not that expensive... if you can afford the gun/guns.. you better be able to afford a decent gun safe.

It seems to have worked.. we all are lifelong members of the NRA and shooting competitions and hunters and not one single "accident" of shooting a family member or a young person playing with a weapon and shooting a sibling or a friend nor a burglar stealing any weapon although several cousins have had breakins and no weapons were lost.
Ownership comes with inherent responsibilities... just as the founding fathers knew.

Amazon

******As much as I find it bewildering to type the following sentence, I must do it anyway.

Here we go:

No one in our close family has believed that a closet or the old school glass display case that might be lockable.. or a gun rack on the wall is sufficient to keep our little folk from being curious OR from a possible burglar break in for at least 50 years. Gun safes are just not that expensive... if you can afford the gun/guns.. you better be able to afford a decent gun safe.

It seems to have worked.. we all are lifelong members of the NRA and shooting competitions and hunters and not one single "accident" of shooting a family member or a young person playing with a weapon and shooting a sibling or a friend nor a burglar stealing any weapon although several cousins have had breakins and no weapons were lost.
Ownership comes with inherent responsibilities... just as the founding fathers knew.

And I have been to dozens of homes with the glass storage cabinets in the last 40 years and guess the hell what

NOT A DAMNED ONE OF THEM has ever has any kind of incident

Responcible gun ownership is not fucking defined by you or your ilk

And it is a hell of a lot more than just storage

Keep your damned nose out of my business and my house!
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

*********As much as I find it bewildering to type the following sentence, I must do it anyway.

Here we go:

And I have been to dozens of homes with the glass storage cabinets in the last 40 years and guess the hell what

NOT A DAMNED ONE OF THEM has ever has any kind of incident

Responcible gun ownership is not fucking defined by you or your ilk

And it is a hell of a lot more than just storage

Keep your damned nose out of my business and my house!

You should get together with Anvil.... similar issues.....

normiss

Coming from the brushmeister himself, that's almost funny.
Almost.

Desperation sir

:D
Abraham Lincoln

normiss

Coming from the brushmeister himself, that's almost funny.
Almost.

Actually
I point out the hypocrisy

You and others hear scream when you think that others should butt out when it comes to a womans body and choices, and what is done in people bed rooms is none of anyone elses business

Well, I think the same when it comes to my house

Get the fuck out and stay out
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

I see locking my door as a reasonable precaution
Anti gun activists whould have us go further and have another level of precaution regarding guns

From Fox news - YOUR preferred media outlet:

The National Rifle Association notes that safe and proper gun storage includes using a secure locking device. Two of the most common mechanisms are trigger locks and cable locks - the former is affixed around the weapon's trigger to lock it in place, while the latter is a long steel cable that is looped through the action of the firearm to block its operation.

However, owners should never rely solely on mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, the NRA warns, as these can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules. Always remember that, while these devices prevent the weapon from being loaded or fired, they will not stop it from being stolen. That's why it's so important to use it in conjunction with a proper storage device.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/04/26/how-to-store-guns-safely-in-your-home/

So I think you just called the NRA 'anti-gun activists'...:|

You can claim that your front door constitutes 'a secure locking device' all you want. It's clear that that isn't the intent of the advice from your organization.

yoink

Anti gun activists whould have us go further and have another level of precaution regarding guns

The National Rifle Association notes that safe and proper gun storage includes using a secure locking device. Two of the most common mechanisms are trigger locks and cable locks - the former is affixed around the weapon's trigger to lock it in place, while the latter is a long steel cable that is looped through the action of the firearm to block its operation.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/04/26/how-to-store-guns-safely-in-your-home/

So I think you just called the NRA 'anti-gun nuts' which would be hilarious if you weren't demonstrating all the signs of being one of those nutters with a gun.... :|

In your world? I am sure I am a gun nut

In my world, you are a radical who wishes to insert themself into everybody elses business.
Abraham Lincoln

yoink

However, owners should never rely solely on mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, the NRA warns, as these can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules. Always remember that, while these devices prevent the weapon from being loaded or fired, they will not stop it from being stolen. That's why it's so important to use it in conjunction with a proper storage device.

So I think you just called the NRA 'anti-gun nuts' which would be hilarious if you weren't demonstrating all the signs of being one of those nutters with a gun.... :|

You can claim that your front door constitutes 'a secure locking device' all you want. It's clear that that isn't the intent of the advice from your organization.

You can lead a horse to water but... he probably will not touch the stuff

rushmc

In your world? I am sure I am a gun nut

In my world, you are a radical who wishes to insert themself into everybody elses business.

How about you respond to the NRA advice?

Anybody else who has stated that, you have labelled as ant-gun nuts who should stay out of your house.

yoink

In rushmc's Looking Glass Land, responsible gun owners are "anti-gun nuts". Refer to post #83, this thread.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

normiss

I don't hear any screaming.

A woman's uterus cannot kill innocent people.

You cant hear the baby scream either[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

kallend

In rushmc's Looking Glass Land, responsible gun owners are "anti-gun nuts". Refer to post #83, this thread.

Basically we can jaw jack all we want.. but it comes down to responsible and irresponsible owners. Those who do not heed even a modicum of advice from our own advocacy group( as much as I have a disdain for them in who they have supported the last 20 years) then those who will not secure their weapons are part of the problem and as much as Anvil wants to beat his gums about solutions.... we could start with the easier problems first... keep them out of the hands of criminals in the first place thru either straw purchases... burglary or even just a REAL background check. Next step keep them out of curious children's hands in the first place as well as proper training for ALL persons in the home....Rights.. have responsibilities

normiss

Because it's not a "baby".
Because biology.

Keep telling yourself that......
Abraham Lincoln