Anvilbrother

Bernie Sanders Calls For Publicly Funded Elections To Topple U.S. Oligarchy

Keep stuff like this up and you might get my vote Sanders.

I have always said the way elections are set up where companies can buy a president for later use is a shitty system. Give each person a set amount and BAN all other income.

https://randrewohge.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/bernie-sanders-calls-for-publicly-funded-elections-to-topple-u-s-oligarchy/

residential candidate Bernie Sanders, who has been vocal on the campaign trail about the scourge of big money in politics, said on Sunday he would push legislation in Congress to provide public funding of elections.

“We’re going to introduce legislation which will allow people to run for office without having to beg money from the wealthy and the powerful,” Sanders told a crowd of about 300 people at a town meeting in Rollinsford, New Hampshire.

“We are increasingly living in an oligarchy where big money is buying politicians.”
—Sen. Bernie Sanders

Sanders blasted the 2010 Citizens United Supreme Court decision that gutted limits on campaign funding and paved the way for the über-wealthy to spend unlimited sums to influence election outcomes.

His criticisms echoed those voiced last week by former president Jimmy Carter, who said on the Thom Hartmann Program that the U.S. is now an “oligarchy” in which “unlimited political bribery” has created “a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors.”

Referring to Citizens United, Sanders said on Sunday:

“We must overturn that decision before it’s too late. We are increasingly living in an oligarchy where big money is buying politicians.”

The senator from Vermont compared politicians to NASCAR drivers with their sponsor’s logos emblazoned on their uniforms, suggesting some politicians should wear signs saying, “I’m sponsored by the Koch brothers” or “I’m sponsored by Big Oil.”

In his own presidential campaign, Sanders has eschewed support from super PACs, which the Citizens United ruling spawned.

Instead, Sanders has relied overwhelmingly on small donations from individual contributors.

Altogether, more than 76.5 percent of all contributions—totaling more than $10.5 million—came from individuals who donated less than $200.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

Keep stuff like this up and you might get my vote Sanders.

I have always said the way elections are set up where companies can buy a president for later use is a shitty system. Give each person a set amount and BAN all other income.

https://randrewohge.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/bernie-sanders-calls-for-publicly-funded-elections-to-topple-u-s-oligarchy/

residential candidate Bernie Sanders, who has been vocal on the campaign trail about the scourge of big money in politics, said on Sunday he would push legislation in Congress to provide public funding of elections.

“We’re going to introduce legislation which will allow people to run for office without having to beg money from the wealthy and the powerful,” Sanders told a crowd of about 300 people at a town meeting in Rollinsford, New Hampshire.

“We are increasingly living in an oligarchy where big money is buying politicians.”
—Sen. Bernie Sanders

Sanders blasted the 2010 Citizens United Supreme Court decision that gutted limits on campaign funding and paved the way for the über-wealthy to spend unlimited sums to influence election outcomes.

His criticisms echoed those voiced last week by former president Jimmy Carter, who said on the Thom Hartmann Program that the U.S. is now an “oligarchy” in which “unlimited political bribery” has created “a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors.”

Referring to Citizens United, Sanders said on Sunday:

“We must overturn that decision before it’s too late. We are increasingly living in an oligarchy where big money is buying politicians.”

The senator from Vermont compared politicians to NASCAR drivers with their sponsor’s logos emblazoned on their uniforms, suggesting some politicians should wear signs saying, “I’m sponsored by the Koch brothers” or “I’m sponsored by Big Oil.”

In his own presidential campaign, Sanders has eschewed support from super PACs, which the Citizens United ruling spawned.

Instead, Sanders has relied overwhelmingly on small donations from individual contributors.

Altogether, more than 76.5 percent of all contributions—totaling more than $10.5 million—came from individuals who donated less than $200.

Big money trumps big democracy, just ask president Romney.

Anvilbrother

Jesse Ventura has been saying this for quite a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLkgKbr9U8
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Jesse Ventura has been saying this for quite a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLkgKbr9U8

Yeah. Because Bernie Sanders thinks "Sponsored by Big Government" is better. Government spending on elections. Yeah. That sounds fucking g awesome.

What other things have been sponsored by Big Government? Th e War in Iraq? Cops executing people. The Patriot Act. NSA Surveillance. Yes, because if any sponsorship should be trusted, it should be Big Government.

The amazing thing is that Sanders is serious. Not only should I find Sanders' campaign but I should also fund Trump. I will tell you this, it would be fucking great. If elections are publicly funded, I will declare my candidacy. "Dear government. Yeah, I'm gonna need about $500 million to stand a decent chance. An airplane. Tour bus. Yeah, all that stuff. I'm going tk be touring the US to drum up support. But also have bills to pay so I need that."

Mount a campaign as a pretty damned good reason to take a $500 million working vacation for a couple of years. Tour the country. Talk to people every now and then. All on the taxpayer's dime. It'll be fucking great.

You might say, "But lawrocket. They aren't going to let any swinging dick out there get taxpayer money to fund a campaign. There will be tight controls over who actually receives that money. Big Government will make sure that only the correct candidate gets that public funding."

To which I explain that's goddamned right. And that scares the living hell out of me.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The amazing thing is that Sanders is serious. Not only should I find Sanders' campaign but I should also fund Trump.

Trump isn't in an presidential election right now. He is trying to be elected by the party to be allowed to run in the presidential campaign.

lawrocket

Yeah. Because Bernie Sanders thinks "Sponsored by Big Government" is better. Government spending on elections. Yeah. That sounds fucking g awesome.

What other things have been sponsored by Big Government? Th e War in Iraq? Cops executing people. The Patriot Act. NSA Surveillance. Yes, because if any sponsorship should be trusted, it should be Big Government.

The amazing thing is that Sanders is serious. Not only should I find Sanders' campaign but I should also fund Trump. I will tell you this, it would be fucking great. If elections are publicly funded, I will declare my candidacy. "Dear government. Yeah, I'm gonna need about $500 million to stand a decent chance. An airplane. Tour bus. Yeah, all that stuff. I'm going tk be touring the US to drum up support. But also have bills to pay so I need that."

Mount a campaign as a pretty damned good reason to take a $500 million working vacation for a couple of years. Tour the country. Talk to people every now and then. All on the taxpayer's dime. It'll be fucking great.

You might say, "But lawrocket. They aren't going to let any swinging dick out there get taxpayer money to fund a campaign. There will be tight controls over who actually receives that money. Big Government will make sure that only the correct candidate gets that public funding."

To which I explain that's goddamned right. And that scares the living hell out of me.

Seriously....Jerry.... you need less caffeine in the morning and a better grammar/spell check.

SkyDekker

The amazing thing is that Sanders is serious. Not only should I find Sanders' campaign but I should also fund Trump.

Trump isn't in an presidential election right now. He is trying to be elected by the party to be allowed to run in the presidential campaign.

So that is where the money will be and where people will be bought and paid for. Sounds like a solution that is not a solution, which seems to be the whole nature of Bernie Sanders. Point out a problem. Don't solve it. But make sure that the government is the middleman with money.

So that is where the money will be and where people will be bought and paid for.

Yes, though will be harder to do, since many more people will be able to "afford" to run for President.

I agree with Sanders in the point that an oligarchy is a problem, and the US is most certainly heading in that direction, if not already there.

SkyDekker

Well there is already a public funding mechanism in place Not much of one but some of one. It covers primaries as well as general elections. Which exposes at least one huge hole in the idea--why should taxpayers be paying for the expenses of private political parties.

Anyway, for all his negatives, which I share in the horror at his candidacy--Trump is self-funding his campaign which means he is less susceptible to the money corruption than any other candidate.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

SkyDekker

So that is where the money will be and where people will be bought and paid for.

Yes, though will be harder to do, since many more people will be able to "afford" to run for President.

I agree with Sanders in the point that an oligarchy is a problem, and the US is most certainly heading in that direction, if not already there.

We are already there.... Ike warned about it... he knew the players all too well. Then in the 80's Saint Ronald handed it to them on a golden platter with SDI.

The money that has flowed to the Military/Industrial Complex and the politicians they have bought ever since gives them the power that WE The PEOPLE no longer have any say in. The rich have gotten INSANELY richer.... and until a few of them who are telling people to eat cake suffer a similar fate to those who thought that was the best way to deal with the poor and disadvantaged in 18th century France.. nothing will get better for the masses of humanity that have less and less.

Yes. Oligarchy is a problem. So, I dunno, maybe if the government had LESS power and control over the money then a politician wouldn't be worth the investment. Cut the power of politics out to of it. And enough of the slime ball politicians.

The whole issue of government funding means less money from special interests is like saying that welfare to inner cities will stop property crimes. No. It's just extra income.

Hi rocket,

If elections are publicly funded, I will declare my candidacy.

I do not follow ALL of the politics in Portland, OR because I do not live in the city.

The city decided that they would have public funding of all city campaigns. So this woman decides to run for office; she gets on the money list; hires her daughter as campaign manager and they rake in the $$$$. She really never had an intention of getting elected. She was paying her daughter something on the order of $250,000 per year.

I do not know if the city still has public funding or not.

But, it is a good gig. :P

Jerry Baumchen

PS) As Andy9o8 says, never gonna happen.

Why not just hold a public referendum and give the top ten candidates (as chosen by popular vote) the money? No need for the evil sinister Big Government make the call.