aphid

in America

Poor little fellow would have been fine if he'd only had a gun and a bible.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08/01/hitchbot-us-demise_n_7919122.html

A hitchhiking robot that captured the hearts of fans worldwide met its demise in the U.S.

The Canadian researchers who created hitchBOT as a social experiment told The Associated Press that someone in Philadelphia damaged the robot beyond repair on Saturday, ending its first American tour after about two weeks.

The kid-size robot set out to travel cross-country after successfully hitchhiking across Canada in 26 days last year and parts of Europe. It is immobile on its own so gets from place to place by relying on the kindness of strangers.

It started in Marblehead, Massachusetts, on July 17 with its thumb raised skyward, a grin on its digital face and tape wrapped around its cylindrical head that read ``San Francisco or bust.''

It bounced around the Boston area and was briefly taken to sea. One day, it took in a Red Sox game. But hitchBOT never made it off the East Coast.

The creators were sent an image of the vandalized robot Saturday but cannot track its location because the battery is dead. They said they don't know who destroyed it or why. But co-creator Frauke Zeller said many children who adored the robot are now heartbroken.

hitchBOT was designed to be a talking travel companion and could toss out factoids and carry limited conversation. A GPS in the robot tracked its location, and a camera randomly snapped photos about every 20 minutes to document its travels.

During past travels, the robot attended a comic convention and a wedding, and it had its portrait painted in the Netherlands. It once spent a week with a heavy metal band.

Yhea I would not leave anything I was not ready to lose out on the street unsecured. And yet there are people that are smart enough to design and build something like this that still have not learned that simple lesson.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

Yhea I would not leave anything I was not ready to lose out on the street unsecured. And yet there are people that are smart enough to design and build something like this that still have not learned that simple lesson.

Someone took it apart and recycled the copper, and precious metals.vv
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

BartsDaddy

Perhaps we can get your lesson added to our textbooks, because apparently it's not been taught to the Europeans or Canadians who chose to leave the little fellow unharmed, and rather helped him on his way.

Thanks

aphid

***Yhea I would not leave anything I was not ready to lose out on the street unsecured. And yet there are people that are smart enough to design and build something like this that still have not learned that simple lesson.

Perhaps we can get your lesson added to our textbooks, because apparently it's not been taught to the Europeans or Canadians who chose to leave the little fellow unharmed, and rather helped him on his way.

Thanks

I thought it was known world wide, and so yall have named us ugly Americans.

We are simply living up to the standard you expect.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

I thought it was known world wide, and so yall have named us ugly Americans.

We are simply living up to the standard you expect.

My apology if I've presented myself as sharing that sentiment. I have my opinions, but that's not one of them.

I do happen to know that being Canadian is better, though.

(smile... that was a joke, for crying out loud)

Well, if they had sent it to the Mideast, there would now be a Youtube video of it being decapitated.:|

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

aphid

***Yhea I would not leave anything I was not ready to lose out on the street unsecured. And yet there are people that are smart enough to design and build something like this that still have not learned that simple lesson.

Thanks

Well I did not have to read any text book to find that out. I realized that around second grade when my bike was stolen out of our front yard. The replacement bike was stolen 2 months later while chained up in front of a store. These both happened in Hawaii in 1970.
When I moved to southern California my green card carying Canadian nieghbor of the same age all ready knew not to leave anything out he was not ready to lose also.
But I guess it is only the USA that theft and vandalism happens in.:S:S

aphid

*** But I guess it is only the USA that theft and vandalism happens in.:S:S

Kindly see post#8.
Kindly explain post #8 then. It can be taken you were making a joke in post #8, and that is how i took it. Or upon rereading it it may be saying your initial post was a joke. But if that is the case why try to defend it after my initial post. Why Not say it was a joke then. But we know from your posting history the majority of it is bashing the USA. So please explain. Cause I must just be missing the joke.

BartsDaddy

the majority of it is bashing the USA. So please explain. Cause I must just be missing the joke.

I do unapologetically correct incorrect information in posts regarding Canada. I do have (I think) a world-view. I know I use sarcasm as a vehicle of humour, which is very much a Canadian trait.

If you have taken all that to be bashing, again my apology.

It is unfortunate that a thread intended to create some laughs and generate some witty repartee has become so serious.

I'll try better in the future.

Oh, and BTW, my first grandchild (a boy), arrived at 12:52am today. And that's not a joke.

aphid

***the majority of it is bashing the USA. So please explain. Cause I must just be missing the joke.

I do unapologetically correct incorrect information in posts regarding Canada. I do have (I think) a world-view. I know I use sarcasm as a vehicle of humour, which is very much a Canadian trait.

If you have taken all that to be bashing, again my apology.

It is unfortunate that a thread intended to create some laughs and generate some witty repartee has become so serious.

I'll try better in the future.

Oh, and BTW, my first grandchild (a boy), arrived at 12:52am today. And that's not a joke.

I love you guys.. really I do.... well except for the douche-nozzle RCMP officer in Nelson BC who has all the wanna be qualifications to be a small town good ole boy cop... who singles out people with out of state plates to lie about and give tickets to and to raise revenue.

But that apologies thing yall do..... love that:)

Oh and congrats... GrandPa:)

Amazon

But that apologies thing yall do.....

Sorry.

Amazon

Oh and congrats... GrandPa:)

Sincerely, thank you Jeanne.

Oh... there might be some good news in the hitchBOT saga. (Canadians, even the robots, are quite resilient)

The friendly Canadian hitchhiking robot that met its untimely end on the hard streets of Philadelphia might be given another chance at life.

HitchBOT's co-creators say they have been overwhelmed with support and offers to revive the child-sized robot since it was destroyed early Saturday and they are considering rebuilding it.

Since word got out, thousands of supporters have taken to social media to express their sadness and outrage: "I am incensed. I hope the perpetrators are found and punished. Long live the good memories. Hope to see you reincarnated soon!" wrote one Twitter user.

"If I could drive, I would have personally helped you across the USA and kept you safe," added another.

source: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08/03/canadian-hitchbot-creators-mull-rebuild-after-beloved-robot-destroyed-in-philly_n_7923614.html

> And yet there are people that are smart enough to design and build
>something like this that still have not learned that simple lesson.

Or perhaps people who haven't yet learned to send it only to places where theft and vandalism isn't a given for anything left out.

billvon

> And yet there are people that are smart enough to design and build
>something like this that still have not learned that simple lesson.

Or perhaps people who haven't yet learned to send it only to places where theft and vandalism isn't a given for anything left out.

!!!!!didn't you read the posts??? - theft and vandalism DO NOT EXIST in Europe and Canada!!!! One might even infer that it only exists in America and no other place on the planet.

It's us (or US, as it were), all along and throughout history, it's so very clear now.

It's very exciting. We now know the exact nature of the problem and can go about fixing it right now.

This is such a eureka moment and so amazingly illuminating, I can't wait to get all this education and information from individuals (and collectives) of such amazing enlightenment and evolution and kindness and patience. I just FEEL myself growing into a better, and more giving, member of the living planet.

Edit: this is so important, we really need to have at least TWO threads on it

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants