JerryBaumchen

Judge fines Greenpeace $2,500/hour

JerryBaumchen

Hi skypuppy,

I hope they get charged.

My son is an attorney with a corporate law firm in Portland; they have 40-45 lawyers on staff.

He is going to ask the managing partners if he can defend some of these people pro bono.

He has 6 yrs experience as a prosecutor / criminal defense attorney. There are a number of other lawyers at his firm wanting to also do a pro bono defense; but since they have no courtroom experience, they are asking him if he will brief/assist them if & when they go to court.

I did raise him to think for himself.

Jerry Baumchen

Sorry Jerry, but I hope he loses spectacularly and they either go to jail or are fined into bankruptcy.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***Hi skypuppy,

I hope they get charged.

My son is an attorney with a corporate law firm in Portland; they have 40-45 lawyers on staff.

He is going to ask the managing partners if he can defend some of these people pro bono.

He has 6 yrs experience as a prosecutor / criminal defense attorney. There are a number of other lawyers at his firm wanting to also do a pro bono defense; but since they have no courtroom experience, they are asking him if he will brief/assist them if & when they go to court.

Jerry Baumchen

Sorry Jerry, but I hope he loses spectacularly and they either go to jail or are fined into bankruptcy.

Sorry Clint.... but I see you are just not a fan of the OTHER parts of the constitution.... funny about how many compassionate conservatives seem to have a severe hypocrisy built into what it is they have that they are calling patriotism. The constitution has a few more components than just the 2nd amendment.....

I have always take to heart that oath I once took to support it.... ALL OF IT.
I may not agree with the actions of those who protest but I certainly love their right to voice their opposition to corporatism.... I do believe that is our right as Americans.

lawrocket

It's an excellent thought. And a great way to get some publicity and some experience for the others.

Despite how I personally feel, they do deserve a defense.

In for one "right" ... in for them all..... some do seem to forget about that all too frequently.[:/]

Amazon

******Hi skypuppy,

I hope they get charged.

Jerry Baumchen

Sorry Clint.... but I see you are just not a fan of the OTHER parts of the constitution.... funny about how many compassionate conservatives seem to have a severe hypocrisy built into what it is they have that they are calling patriotism. The constitution has a few more components than just the 2nd amendment.....

I may not agree with the actions of those who protest but I certainly love their right to voice their opposition to corporatism.... I do believe that is our right as Americans.

That's funny, you condemn Christy for a partial bridge closing, but applaud this. Your bias is showing.

I don't remember anywhere in the constitution where it says we must defend illegal activities.

I get the whole "civil disobedience" thing, but that doesn't relenquish them from following the law. If they choose to break the law, they choose to accept the consequences of breaking those laws.

I still wonder if they are aware of just how much petroleum that was used for them to accomplish this act of defiance? Or if they had the intelligence to even comprehend the irony.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

*********Hi skypuppy,

I hope they get charged.

Jerry Baumchen

That's funny, you condemn Christy for a partial bridge closing, but applaud this. Your bias is showing.
>> your misunderstanding of reality is flawed yet again<<

I don't remember anywhere in the constitution where it says we must defend illegal activities.

I get the whole "civil disobedience" thing, but that doesn't relenquish them from following the law. If they choose to break the law, they choose to accept the consequences of breaking those laws.

I still wonder if they are aware of just how much petroleum that was used for them to accomplish this act of defiance? Or if they had the intelligence to even comprehend the irony.

Considering who the people are... I bet they do understand... as do I where plastic comes from... whereas the People of Walmart probably do not understand nor give a shit

Amazon

************Hi skypuppy,

I hope they get charged.

Jerry Baumchen

>> your misunderstanding of reality is flawed yet again<<

Considering who the people are... I bet they do understand... as do I where plastic comes from... whereas the People of Walmart probably do not understand nor give a shit

I'll restate the important pieces of my last post . . . The ones you have no defense for . . .

turtlespeed

*********Hi skypuppy,

I hope they get charged.

Jerry Baumchen

Might seem of, but I see a huge difference between what the oil slicks (that's what I call groups of kayakers, considering what their equipment is made out of) did and what Christie did. The difference is that one of them is using state police powers as a government to interfere with commerce just because he and/or his people wanted to be an asshole. The other are private citizens out to interfere with commerce because they want to be assholes.

When one brings the force of government I do have a much larger issue with it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Amazon

******Hi skypuppy,

I hope they get charged.

Jerry Baumchen

I get the right to free speech, and the right to association, etc. but they don't have the right to block legal commerce, as far as my reading goes. And I would have them charged individually and as a group for it.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

JerryBaumchen

Hi skypuppy,

I hope they get charged.

Jerry Baumchen

If I had a corporate law firm, I'd probably consider that corporations depend on the rule of law to do business. So if someone in my law firm wanted to represent law breakers pro bono, I'd probably say no. But that's just me... Not that they shouldn't have a defense. But they should have consequences for their actions, and paying for that defence is part of it.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

skypuppy

*********Hi skypuppy,

I hope they get charged.

Jerry Baumchen

I get the right to free speech, and the right to association, etc. but they don't have the right to block legal commerce, as far as my reading goes. And I would have them charged individually and as a group for it.

The have the right to protest. And they have the responsibility to pay for whatever it cost for them to protest. If it's $10k per hour, then so be it.

lawrocket

************Hi skypuppy,

I hope they get charged.

Jerry Baumchen

The have the right to protest. And they have the responsibility to pay for whatever it cost for them to protest. If it's $10k per hour, then so be it.

Yup ....... and have every right to a defense in a court of law with competent representation.

But the corporations ( by way of their owners desires ) do have a tendency to pile on to get their way since they paid people to write the laws the way they want them.

Amazon

***************Hi skypuppy,

I hope they get charged.

Jerry Baumchen

Yup ....... and have every right to a defense in a court of law with competent representation.

But the corporations ( by way of their owners desires ) do have a tendency to pile on to get their way since they paid people to write the laws the way they want them.

again, no question that they have the right to a defense. That doesn't mean they should get their defense for free. Mind you, that doesn't stop their lawyers, if they go to court and win, from asking for some lawyer's fees from the other side - but they should have to make their case based on the law. And even if they win, if they can't prove entitlement by law, they shouldn't get costs.

In my mind, that would mean they would have to prove malicious prosecution or something... Since this isn't a lawsuit, but a prosecution for law-breaking in that they were restricting commerce illegally.

If they don't win, they definitely shouldn't be entitled to costs...

Hi sky,

That doesn't mean they should get their defense for free.

That would be taking away my son's rights. If he wants to do it for free, he is, and should be, able to do it for free.

from asking for some lawyer's fees from the other side

If they defend them pro bono, there would not be 'some lawyer's fees.'

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Not directed at you; but there are a whole bunch of people who post on here who would be VERY uncomfortable living in Portland, OR.

JerryBaumchen

Hi sky,

That would be taking away my son's rights. If he wants to do it for free, he is, and should be, able to do it for free.

***from asking for some lawyer's fees from the other side

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Not directed at you; but there are a whole bunch of people who post on here who would be VERY uncomfortable living in Portland, OR.Truer words have never been spoken. in here. They would lose their minds in less than a week with all the damn LIBRULS.... because.....'Murica

JerryBaumchen

Hi sky,

***from asking for some lawyer's fees from the other side

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Not directed at you; but there are a whole bunch of people who post on here who would be VERY uncomfortable living in Portland, OR.

Im chilling in Mendocino right now. Digging it. No neighbors. Woods. Peace. People doing their own thing.

Reminds me of Portland. I love it there. Mainly people who mind their own business. Then there are the kayakers...

>Some of the people hanging off of nylon ropes in nylon tents and slings and
>people in their petroleum based kayaks . . . .

Reminds me of Tea Partyers with their "stop socialism" and "the answer is lower taxes. Next question?" signs . . . parading on a publicly owned and maintained street.

billvon

Reminds me of Tea Partyers with their "stop socialism" and "the answer is lower taxes. Next question?" signs . . . parading on a publicly owned and maintained street.

While getting their "socialist" government checks while blithering about small gubmint

billvon

Exactly. People want what they've got but don't want anyone else to get it. For the tea partiers, they have no problem with socialism so long as it all goes to them and nobody else.

For the watermelons, they want oil for their uses but others don't get it for theirs.

It's sanctimoniousness.

JerryBaumchen

I don't know if the fines are high enough. Or could they be sued civilly if found guilty?

Andy9o8

Hi Jerry. Your son is doing a noble thing, in the finest tradition of the citizen lawyer.
All the naysayers can eat my shorts.

Hi Bart,
I agree whole heartedly with the gesture, the effort, and the heart behind the action.

I just hope he loses, and in a very overwhelming way.
I also hope the loss doesn't hurt his career.
The work, though, is his choice.

I also hope the cases help people become more aware of how much the "environmentalists" doing the protesting were the hypocrites.

I look at it like y'all look at Ron, here. He happily receives his social security check while complaining that the government is giving handouts.

It hypocritical like an action movie actor being anti gun.