yoink

US dentist 'regrets' killing lion...

JohnnyMarko

***600? I don't believe that is correct

Today, the most recent surveys estimate that there are fewer than 30,000 lions living in the wild in Africa today.

600 is fewer than 30,000....so, he's kinda right?

Well, you said all of Africa... maybe 600 is for that particular country?
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

>But you are not looking at it correctly - as the population goes down, they
> could charge an increasing rate

That's true. Think about how much you could charge a hunter to let him kill the last lion on the planet. The mind boggles. Heck, you could afford most mid-sized wars with a business plan like that.

billvon

>But you are not looking at it correctly - as the population goes down, they

That's true. Think about how much you could charge a hunter to let him kill the last lion on the planet. The mind boggles. Heck, you could afford most mid-sized wars with a business plan like that.

They get far more revenue in Africa from tourists who shoot pictures of the animals than they do from the few rich men shooting the animals with weapons.

Amazon

***>But you are not looking at it correctly - as the population goes down, they

source?
They get far more revenue in Africa from tourists who shoot pictures of the animals than they do from the few rich men shooting the animals with weapons.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

skypuppy

******>But you are not looking at it correctly - as the population goes down, they

source?

On a per person basis I am sure the Hunter pays more. But there are far more people today that want to go on a photograph safari. And pay good money for it.
The number of legal hunts are low. Not low enough in my views. The photo safaris are growing.

I can understand the trophy hunters that pay massive amounts to shoot a animal that is past it's breeding stage and is not contributing to the health of the group. Those are normally controlled by the government or it agencies.
In this case though I would like to host the shooter in my garage for a couple of weeks. I have a few straight edge razors that need exorciseing. Plus my dog needs someone to piss on.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

*********>But you are not looking at it correctly - as the population goes down, they

source?

On a per person basis I am sure the Hunter pays more. But there are far more people today that want to go on a photograph safari. And pay good money for it.
The number of legal hunts are low. Not low enough in my views. The photo safaris are growing.

I can understand the trophy hunters that pay massive amounts to shoot a animal that is past it's breeding stage and is not contributing to the health of the group. Those are normally controlled by the government or it agencies.
In this case though I would like to host the shooter in my garage for a couple of weeks. I have a few straight edge razors that need exorciseing. Plus my dog needs someone to piss on.

Great, how much money have you and your dog spend on wildlife in Africa?

divertech

************>But you are not looking at it correctly - as the population goes down, they

source?

Considering How this hunt was conducted. How much of the money he paid do you think actually went to wildlife in Africa?
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

divertech

In my humble opinion Zimbabwe needs the $44k more than they need a Lion.

There is so much miss information and bullshit going on around this story it is amazing. Firstly the idiot is a poacher not a hunter.

Secondly as someone who grew up around pro hunters in Zimbabwe (brother in law managed a game ranch). It is far more complicated than people believe. The 'trophies' used to be carefully managed in Zimbabwe and the shooting of older animals paid for substantial conservation work, ultimately creating a sustainable wild life ecosystem.

Obviously Zimbabwe is fucked now and I doubt that the wildlife permit system does anything more than line Bob's pockets. Ironic that people are up in arms about a 13 year old lion, in a country that is so fucked that average person doesn't live much longer than 40 years.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

***In my humble opinion Zimbabwe needs the $44k more than they need a Lion.

There is so much miss information and bullshit going on around this story it is amazing. Firstly the idiot is a poacher not a hunter.

Secondly as someone who grew up around pro hunters in Zimbabwe (brother in law managed a game ranch). It is far more complicated than people believe. The 'trophies' used to be carefully managed in Zimbabwe and the shooting of older animals paid for substantial conservation work, ultimately creating a sustainable wild life ecosystem.

Obviously Zimbabwe is fucked now and I doubt that the wildlife permit system does anything more than line Bob's pockets. Ironic that people are up in arms about a 13 year old lion, in a country that is so fucked that average person doesn't live much longer than 40 years.

No,yes,Yes and Yes. I don't know if the Dentist is a poacher or not. Every year Montana has hunts for elk outside of Yellowstone national park, to kill elk.

Every year they capture wild bison in the park and take them to slaughterhouses.Imagine the outrage if a bison bull had a cute name and his picture in the public's eye.
http://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/bisonmgntfaq.htm

Baiting game outside national parks in Africa, Canada, USA, etc. has gone on since parks and game preserves were founded.

"A New York hunter paid $300,000 for this year's Montana special auction license for bighorn sheep at the Wild Sheep Foundation convention in Reno, Nev., in January. The price, while not a record, ensures that the bighorn sheep tag continues to be the high interest big money tag of all the special auction tags Montana offers.

James Hens of East Berne, N.Y., bought the tag. He will be able to hunt a sheep in any Montana bighorn sheep hunting district this fall. Last year, James Liautaud of Champagne, Ill., owner of the Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwich Shop chain, paid $295,000 for the same tag. The year before, Liataud bought the tag for $275,000. The highest price ever paid for the bighorn tag was $310,000 in 1994.

Montana offers several big game tags for auction by groups who make pitches to the FWP Commission to sell the tags. The groups get 10 percent of the money the tag brings in and the rest goes to FWP for research and habitat improvement for the species. So far this year, the bighorn tag is the only one to sell. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation will sell the elk and moose tags when it holds its annual rendezvous in Reno. The Mule Deer Foundation will auction the mule deer tag and the Great Falls Safari Club International will auction the mountain goat tag at its annual spring meeting. "
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-notes/2012/02/ny-hunter-pays-300000-montana-bighorn-sheep-license

About 20 years ago I was in the home of a "trophy" hunter who was a doctor. He had a life size mount of a grizzly bear that he had shot on the last day of a very expensive hunt. Evidently he felt that he had to "get' something to show for his hunt. It was four feet high standing on its back legs. It was a cub less than nine months old.

If Cecil is a beloved symbol of Zimbabwe beloved of all its citizens.....

Is "Cecil" even an african name? Seems very British to me. So Cecil may very well be a a beloved symbol of what Britain and other European tourists think of Zimbabwe?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

BartsDaddy

***************>But you are not looking at it correctly - as the population goes down, they

source?

Considering How this hunt was conducted. How much of the money he paid do you think actually went to wildlife in Africa?

The lions family was allocated death benefits, they are now in Cozumel vacationing.

How much money should the wild life be given?

I tell you what, I'll write them a check.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

i never understand the mob mentality most suffer from.

The guy is a douche agreed, all trophy hunters are to me per my opinion, HOWEVER i don't believe we should kill the guy, and ruin his life because of it.

Does anyone have a measured response anymore!?

I happily waist fuel a resource people die for, wars start over, fucking children die! so i can jump out of an air plane at a reasonable rate, maybe this guy likes killing lions as much as i like jumping. Oh and if you think our easily attainable access to resources doesn't cost Humane and other lives let me know when you graduate kindergarten.
Yea the guy is an ass but i think the sheep need to settle down just a bit. YOU do not know this guy enough to justify the hate you are showing which makes you look like stupid children.

So many of you bring up the word NEED, how many of you use things that you don't need to make your life easier, more enjoyable, or just for the fuck if it? Any one use i don;t know technology???? We all leave a foot print some are more clear like his on the lions face, but we all leave a foot print and it all causes death and suffering for other people, animals, the earth, or all, that's the way nature likes it.

Again not saying this guys is not an ass, just saying gray people gray your always so black and white put down the torches.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Darius11

The guy is a douche agreed, all trophy hunters are to me per my opinion, HOWEVER i don't believe we should kill the guy, and ruin his life because of it.

I think that ship has already sailed.
No matter what happens from this point on, I can't believe his life will ever be the same.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

How many other more serious and important things have gone on this week that did not get a peep of media or people's thoughts while they were focusing and crying about this stupid dentist. ooh one thing CISPA is back with a new name. I wish people would get half as fired up about that as this lion.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Is "Cecil" even an african name? Seems very British to me. So Cecil may very well be a a beloved symbol of what Britain and other European tourists think of Zimbabwe?

'Bill' doesn't seem very American, unless it's short for Bilagáana ? The notion that everything African, or anything worthy of appreciation by Africans, has to be entirely indigenous is a tired one.