yoink

US dentist 'regrets' killing lion...

Why am I not suprised that sexual harassment is on this guys list of things to do.
No telling what's going on once people get a hit of the gas in his office.

Baiting bears in the woods with food while safely perched in a tree stand covered in monkey piss, armed to the teeth....ooooo what a challenge!

Our responsibilities includes obligations and responsibilities exclusive to humans. One of those important duties we alone possess is to treat animals humanely and with respect, and to not cause suffering unless required by an overriding human need.

There was NO human need here, just craven sadism of the first order. We can do better but it seems overtime we make a little progress, some dip shit comes along and sends us back.

Deplorable.

gowlerk

Before y'all get too high up on yer high horse about baited lion hunting in Africa, tell me what the difference between that and this is?

http://www.trophybookoutfitters.com/blackbear-hunts.htm

maybe the fact that there are lots of bears, but lions are becoming scarce. also I don't think they're luring bears out of a protected game reserve.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

CanuckInUSA

The guy is a major dipshit. If a lion attacks you, then yes shoot it in self defense. But this wasn't the case.

On a somewhat related/unrelated note, as a child I remember watching the movie "Born Free" but I was pretty young at the time and I am not sure how much of the movie I really absorbed. But last month the movie replayed on my local cable TV classic movies station and I watched it. What a great movie this is from the mid 1960s era. The movie is based on the real life events of Joy and George Adamson who adopt three lion cubs after George is forced to shoot the cub's mother (in self defense). Eventually the cubs grew too big and the Adamsons had to give the cubs up. But Joy and the smallest cub Elsa the Lioness had this special bond with each other and the Adamsons kept Elsa and raised her. Of source even Elsa grew too big and the Adamson's were forced to either give Elsa up to a zoo or try the unthinkable and reintroduce Elsa back into the wild. Joy was persistent in her beliefs that Elsa should not be locked up in a cage for the rest of her life (hence the name of the movie "Born Free"). Many said it couldn't be done, and it took months, but they succeeded and Elsa was successfully reintroduced back into the wild and the following year the Adamsons met up with Elsa again in the Kenyan wild life reserve where Elsa mothered her own litter of cubs. Of course the movie does not mention this, but Elsa's life was cut short after only five years when she succumbed to Babesia felis, a tick-borne blood disease similar to malaria.

I only bring this up because A) it is a fantastic story based on real people and a real lion and people should watch it if they get the chance ... and ... B) animals are a lot smarter than humans believe they are.

Once again this dentist is a major dipshit for taking the life of such a fantastic creature. I am not anti-hunting when people hunt for food. But I am anti-hunting when it is only done for sport. Killing is not a sport.

Interesting side note - George Adamson was murdered by poachers in ('89 I believe) while attempting to stop them from attacking a tourist. His wife Joy had been murdered separately (they lived apart at the time) some years earlier, but I think over a dispute with a former employee.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Hunting is a vexing subject. There are opinions across the whole specter from those that love it to those that hate. One fact that can't be ignored is the economic impact of hunting. In 2001 a study was done that showed a $112 billion annual economic impact in the US. That doesn't include the revenues from fishing. Those funds are certainly used for all kinds of purposes but alot of it goes to support wildlife and conservation. Hunters are the largest contributors to wildlife programs and research. In the absence of hunting revenue where would those funds come?
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I grew up hunting and fishing.

both fishing and hunting are a source of meat in my house, I fish for just about everything freshwater, and hunt deer and elk.
I have never taken a trophy - Taxidermy...that practice disgusts me beyond words, I use either a muzzleloader or a bow and if I ever make a piss poor shot like this douchbag did and cause an animal that much suffering I would never brag about it and I will probably hang up my weapons for good.
I was taught how to track and stalk the animals which is much less efficient than baiting and waiting -oh wait.. I mean accidentally dropping a large bunch of apples and other food the animal likes then hanging around that area safe on a perch.

I see absolutely no reason to hunt a predator unless its a threat to my family or my animals.
My son is being taught the same - If you shoot it make it a clean kill, no excuses - and don't waste any part that is useable.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

That's an amazingly short sighted view of the situation.

And, in general, fuck trophy hunters. I don't put trophy hunters in the same class as real hunters. I don't think they should even use the same word.

- Dan G

JohnnyMarko

I'm astounded at some of the stories guides have told me of American hunters on a trip with a "checklist" to kill and how they go about it.

Dentist accused of killing Cecil is not alone: Trophy hunters are mostly Americans.

Yes, the majority of idiots looking for trophies is probably driven by American idiots, but don't forget we also have a demand from of Asian idiots for rhino horns, elephant ivory, and other assorted animal parts.

Penises. Lots and lots of penises....I don't get the appeal.

Don't tell me you take trophies!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

ryoder

OK, Ted Nugent says we all got the story wrong: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ted-nugent-cecil-lion-killing-811881

Thank goodness Ted is here to clear it all up.:S

You can't really take a man seriously when he's called himself this not long ago: 'A Black Jew at Nazi-Klan Rally,'

And he stands by his Obama Beheading Statement

:S He should have stuck to being a musician.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Driver1

***OK, Ted Nugent says we all got the story wrong: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ted-nugent-cecil-lion-killing-811881

You can't really take a man seriously when he's called himself this not long ago: 'A Black Jew at Nazi-Klan Rally,'

Strongly agree.
Every time he opens his mouth (and he isn't singing) he just makes a bigger ass of himself.
Hey, maybe Trump will choose him for his running mate!:D

Sometimes, I just crack myself up!:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

DanG

That's an amazingly short sighted view of the situation.

And, in general, fuck trophy hunters. I don't put trophy hunters in the same class as real hunters. I don't think they should even use the same word.

I don't agree with trophy hunting and I am not sure if it applies in this particular case but in many cases in Africa without these rich trophy hunters paying crazy amounts of money to hunt certain animals those same animals would be on the verge of extinction. but in Africa these "prizes" are worth a lot of money and if they weren't there populations would suffer. I have never been hunting in my life but a few lions dying may be saving many more

ryoder

******OK, Ted Nugent says we all got the story wrong: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ted-nugent-cecil-lion-killing-811881

Strongly agree.
Every time he opens his mouth (and he isn't singing) he just makes a bigger ass of himself.

Trump/Nugent 2016.... Just rings a bell doesn't it? :D:D:D

Driver1

*********OK, Ted Nugent says we all got the story wrong: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ted-nugent-cecil-lion-killing-811881

Strongly agree.

And with Sarah in the cabinet.... what could go wrong with that in todays world

Amazon

************OK, Ted Nugent says we all got the story wrong: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ted-nugent-cecil-lion-killing-811881

Strongly agree.

And with Sarah in the cabinet.... what could go wrong with that in todays world

Indeed... Worst ever choices. Yeah, they're Republicans but I have no intention of ever voting for them specifically. :S

normiss

IIRC, Nugent also has a felony conviction for an illegal hunt, no?
:S

A few misdemeanors from CA & AK, but no mention here of a felony: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Nugent#Illegal_hunting_charges

ETA Looks like Ted may have pleaded guilty to avoid felony charges: http://www.adn.com/article/why-ted-nugent-pleading-guilty-alaska-bear-case
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

tred

***That's an amazingly short sighted view of the situation.

I don't agree with trophy hunting and I am not sure if it applies in this particular case but in many cases in Africa without these rich trophy hunters paying crazy amounts of money to hunt certain animals those same animals would be on the verge of extinction. but in Africa these "prizes" are worth a lot of money and if they weren't there populations would suffer. I have never been hunting in my life but a few lions dying may be saving many more

Yeah :S
http://lionalert.org/page/lion-population-latest-estimates

BTW:

Now the king is dead, the new one is taking over the pride. His first action: Killing all the youngsters/cubs of his precurser ...
to make sure only his genes will be spread.

That, indeed 'will save' some lions .... B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

>In my humble opinion Zimbabwe needs the $44k more than they need a Lion.

Yep. There are about 600 lions left in the world, and a large number are in Zimbabwe. Kill them all and you could clear a cool $26 million. That would allow them to pay off .4% of their debt.

Now, if they had another 250 species of animals like lions you could drive to extinction, they could pay off all their debt! At least for one year.

christelsabine

******That's an amazingly short sighted view of the situation.

Yeah :S
http://lionalert.org/page/lion-population-latest-estimates

BTW:

Now the king is dead, the new one is taking over the pride. His first action: Killing all the youngsters/cubs of his precurser ...
to make sure only his genes will be spread.

That, indeed 'will save' some lions .... B|

I don't agree with trophy hunting and I am not sure if it applies in this particular case

after reading more it does not apply in this case but in many it does. I do agree trophy hunting for personal satisfaction is gross and immoral but if you put that aside there are some benefits to legal trophy hunting.

billvon

There are about 600 lions left in the world, and a large number are in Zimbabwe. Kill them all and you could clear a cool $26 million. That would allow them to pay off .4% of their debt.

Now, if they had another 250 species of animals like lions you could drive to extinction, they could pay off all their debt! At least for one year.

That's the attitude!!!

But you are not looking at it correctly - as the population goes down, they could charge an increasing rate = much like a liberal dream tax code - this increases the rate of return quite a bit.

It would probably only take about 20 to 50 species.

THEN - if you harvest their organs for scientific study (don't be a hater, think of the children), you could likely double the return.

So, maybe 10-20 species or so.

Still, Mr. Billvon - I find your proposal a bit Machiavellian and unethical. You should be ashamed of yourself and the internet should be used to ruin your life.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

That's the attitude!!!

But you are not looking at it correctly - as the population goes down, they could charge an increasing rate = much like a liberal dream tax code - this increases the rate of return quite a bit.

It would probably only take about 20 to 50 species.

THEN - if you harvest their organs for scientific study (don't be a hater, think of the children), you could likely double the return.

So, maybe 10-20 species or so.

Still, Mr. Billvon - I find your proposal a bit Machiavellian and unethical. You should be ashamed of yourself and the internet should be used to ruin your life.

Using a crossbow is hugely inefficient.

The US could sell miniguns and landmines to Zimbabwe to decrease the time to recoup the money and benefit the US economy into the bargain.