yoink

US dentist 'regrets' killing lion...

stayhigh

I would like one of these lion as a bathroom rug. With a head and tail attached and all. It will keep my toes warm whenever I take a shit.

It would be warm in the winter. If you made a hoodie out of it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hunting is a vexing subject. There are opinions across the whole specter from those that love it to those that hate. One fact that can't be ignored is the economic impact of hunting. In 2001 a study was done that showed a $112 billion annual economic impact in the US. That doesn't include the revenues from fishing. Those funds are used for all kinds of purposes but alot of it goes to support wildlife and conservation. In the absence of hunting revenue where would those funds come?

In some countries they charge high fees, the government identifies an old animal that should be taken out of the herd, the funds are used to help the people and fund wildlife programs, anything wrong with that style of wildlife management?

until the People Eating Tasty Animals crowd can come up with solutions ........ stop whining about poor bambi
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

billeisele

Hunting is a vexing subject. There are opinions across the whole specter from those that love it to those that hate. One fact that can't be ignored is the economic impact of hunting. In 2001 a study was done that showed a $112 billion annual economic impact in the US. That doesn't include the revenues from fishing. Those funds are used for all kinds of purposes but alot of it goes to support wildlife and conservation. In the absence of hunting revenue where would those funds come?

In some countries they charge high fees, the government identifies an old animal that should be taken out of the herd, the funds are used to help the people and fund wildlife programs, anything wrong with that style of wildlife management?

until the People Eating Tasty Animals crowd can come up with solutions ........ stop whining about poor bambi

We are not talking about bambi, it's an endangered species we're discussing about. He killed one of the last few male black maned lions; African lions are *red-flagged* >:(

You should read more than the bold headline.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

You leave out the enormous fees charged to hunters which go directly back to making sure the hunting grounds remain with animals for further hunts.

It is in the best interests of the people to make SURE that they dont over hunt the areas or their gold mine will dry up. The millions spent in the hunt areas are funneled back into conservation and promoting breeding and healthy stock.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

You leave out the enormous fees charged to hunters which go directly back to making sure the hunting grounds remain with animals for further hunts.

It is in the best interests of the people to make SURE that they dont over hunt the areas or their gold mine will dry up. The millions spent in the hunt areas are funneled back into conservation and promoting breeding and healthy stock.

Funniest thing I've read in a long time. Is that your expert opinion on how things work in africa? If I had to guess I'd say you've never been to africa, and probably never stepped out of the united states.

http://conservationmagazine.org/2014/01/can-trophy-hunting-reconciled-conservation/

It’s encouraging that trophy hunters seem willing to take conservation-related issues into consideration when choosing a tour operator, but it is possible that they were simply providing the researchers with the answers that would cast them in the best light. That’s a typical concern for assessments that rely on self-report. Better evidence would come from proof that hunting can be consistent with actual, measurable conservation-related benefits for a species.

Is there such evidence? According to a 2005 paper by Nigel Leader-Williams and colleagues in the Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy the answer is yes. Leader-Williams describes how the legalization of white rhinoceros hunting in South Africa motivated private landowners to reintroduce the species onto their lands. As a result, the country saw an increase in white rhinos from fewer than one hundred individuals to more than 11,000, even while a limited number were killed as trophies.

http://www.livescience.com/51698-cecil-lion-sport-hunting-controversy.html

However, there are cases in which well-regulated and well-managed sport hunting has contributed to the conservation of a species, Garrigan told Live Science. The southern white rhino is one such success story.

"Amid the many efforts to save the white rhino from extinction at the turn of the 20th century, the hunting industry in South Africa played a role in encouraging private landowners to take on rhinos, breed them, relocate them to depopulated areas and make money from sport hunting while doing it," she said. [In Photos: Endangered and Threatened Wildlife]

Conservationists estimate that there were fewer than 100 white rhinos left after hunters almost wiped them out in the early 1900s. Now, after several decades of charging for sport hunting and investing in rhino preservation, there are about 20,000 southern white rhinos living today, she said. (The southern white rhino is different from the northern white rhino, of which there are only four known individuals left.)

Also you are wrong I have been to 6 country's but not Africa.

Maybe do some research instead of spouting off on things you do not know about.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

vitriol

***You leave out the enormous fees charged to hunters which go directly back to making sure the hunting grounds remain with animals for further hunts.

Funniest thing I've read in a long time. Is that your expert opinion on how things work in africa? If I had to guess I'd say you've never been to africa, and probably never stepped out of the united states.

OK I'll bite. What's your "expert" opinion and basis for saying he is wrong?

What he said was true of Southern Africa - based on growing up there with relatives and friends who ran game ranches (for hunting). Non hunters made up the bulk of tourists, but like tandems it was the hunts that brought in the big money.

Generally speaking it was good for business to have a reasonable variety of game in descent quantities to bring in the tourists.

Also the whole aspect of statistical populations. On a game ranch that is fenced to protect the animals you can only support a limited population you have to manage the population and don't go dreaming that you can relocate the old and weak.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

rehmwa

If Cecil is a beloved symbol of Zimbabwe beloved of all its citizens.....

Is "Cecil" even an african name? Seems very British to me. So Cecil may very well be a a beloved symbol of what Britain and other European tourists think of Zimbabwe?

Probably named after Cecil Rhodes, as the country was called "Rhodesia" before it became Zimbabwe.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

nigel99

******You leave out the enormous fees charged to hunters which go directly back to making sure the hunting grounds remain with animals for further hunts.

What he said was true of Southern Africa - based on growing up there with relatives and friends who ran game ranches (for hunting). Non hunters made up the bulk of tourists, but like tandems it was the hunts that brought in the big money.

My opinion is based by the fact Cecil, the Lion we're talking about was killed by a hunter that payed a lot of money to a professional hunter that organizes those hunts. Do you really believe any of that money went to conservation? Do you believe it's the only time this has happened? Do you believe the local authorities have no knowledge of people having done this before?

Also, there's a big difference between zimbabwe and south africa.

If those big amounts of money were all going to conservation, there would not be private hunting ranches. Those ranches exist because the owners make loads of money. Animals lare ured or taken from national parks to fenced ranches.

Same for the money paid in permits for safaris, treks, etc, it is notoriously known money is stolen and diverted for personnal gain. Only a tiny fraction is being used for what it should.

I've been to africa, my g/f lived in Kenya and is a biologist and currently a professional guide in eastern africa. Corruption is rampant, crimes go unpunished and while there are some exceptions, many animal populations are not doing very good.

rifleman

***If Cecil is a beloved symbol of Zimbabwe beloved of all its citizens.....

Is "Cecil" even an african name? Seems very British to me. So Cecil may very well be a a beloved symbol of what Britain and other European tourists think of Zimbabwe?

Probably named after Cecil Rhodes, as the country was called "Rhodesia" before it became Zimbabwe.

why, that's kind of a useful and friendly response to my post. Thanks.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

vitriol

*********You leave out the enormous fees charged to hunters which go directly back to making sure the hunting grounds remain with animals for further hunts.

My opinion is based by the fact Cecil, the Lion we're talking about was killed by a hunter that payed a lot of money to a professional hunter that organizes those hunts. Do you really believe any of that money went to conservation? Do you believe it's the only time this has happened? Do you believe the local authorities have no knowledge of people having done this before?

If those big amounts of money were all going to conservation, there would not be private hunting ranches. Those ranches exist because the owners make loads of money. Animals lare ured or taken from national parks to fenced ranches.

Same for the money paid in permits for safaris, treks, etc, it is notoriously known money is stolen and diverted for personnal gain. Only a tiny fraction is being used for what it should.

I've been to africa, my g/f lived in Kenya and is a biologist and currently a professional guide in eastern africa. Corruption is rampant, crimes go unpunished and while there are some exceptions, many animal populations are not doing very good.

Firstly I said Southern Africa not South Africa. I'm from Zimbabwe and believe me I know the difference between the two countries.

Corruption is rampant AND this was clearly poaching not hunting so no in this case the money did not go to conservation. You may notice that I used past tense in my previous post. In Zimbabwe since the land 'redistribution' most of the wildlife has been wiped out. Ironically because the pro hunters who ran sustainable operations were chased off.

In South Africa, Botswana and a couple of others I believe the sustainable operations are still functional. South Africa will go down the same path as Zimbabwe, I don't think Botswana will.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Firstly I said Southern Africa not South Africa. I'm from Zimbabwe and believe me I know the difference between the two countries.

Corruption is rampant AND this was clearly poaching not hunting so no in this case the money did not go to conservation. You may notice that I used past tense in my previous post. In Zimbabwe since the land 'redistribution' most of the wildlife has been wiped out. Ironically because the pro hunters who ran sustainable operations were chased off.

In South Africa, Botswana and a couple of others I believe the sustainable operations are still functional. South Africa will go down the same path as Zimbabwe, I don't think Botswana will.

http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2012/11/15/no-more-hunting-of-any-kind-in-botswana/

No More Hunting of Any Kind in Botswana…

The President of Botswana, Lieutenant General Ian Khama, announced recently at a public meeting in Maun, the gateway to the Okavango Delta, that no further hunting licenses would be issued from 2013, and that all hunting in Botswana would be impossible by 2014. This new ban extends to all ‘citizen hunting’ and covers all species, including elephant and lion that can only be shot when designated as “problem animals”. President Khama stated that ecotourism has become increasingly important for Botswana and contributes more than 12% of their overall GDP, noting that wildlife control measure through issuance of hunting licenses had reached its limit. Furthermore, he said the issuance of hunting licenses had fueled poaching and the resultant “catastrophic” declines in wildlife, while preventing sustained growth in the tourism industry. The global tourism industry must support this move by sending thousands more tourists to see Botswana’s natural heritage. Next year, the Okavango Delta will be nominated to be a UNESCO World Heritage Site and what better way to celebrate than this halt of the issuance of hunting licenses…

vitriol

*********You leave out the enormous fees charged to hunters which go directly back to making sure the hunting grounds remain with animals for further hunts.

as the article he quoted clearly stated, it was BECAUSE of private hunting ranches that the white rhino was pulled back from the brink of extinction. The fact it doesn't work in some areas says more about those areas than it does about the system of private hunting ranches...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

>IMO no matter what you feel about this issue, vandalizing his home is simply wrong.

Agreed. Guy's a jerk, and he's probably going to lose his business (and perhaps face charges) over what he did. A great many people did far worse, and what he did isn't an excuse to be as much of a jerk as he is.

JerryBaumchen

Hi yoink,

This f***ing nimrod

IMO no matter what you feel about this issue, vandalizing his home is simply wrong:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/home-lion-hunting-dentist-walter-palmer-vandalized-n404631

Jerry Baumchen

I agree his home should not be vandalised because of his actions. And I support finding and charging whoever did this. But our building at work sustains a lot more then this on a monthly basis just cause it is where some urban artists live.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

billvon

...(and perhaps face charges)....

I'm curious about Zimbabwe's call for extradition. Doesn't he have to be indicted? Unless I missed seeing it, I haven't seen any specific charges. I think our extradition treaty specifies that his "crime" must be illegal in both countries. How can this be determined without Zimbabwe formally charging him?

I've seen "illegal hunting" and "poaching" mentioned, but I haven't seen anything like "Palmer has been charged with xxxx".

muff528

***...(and perhaps face charges)....

I'm curious about Zimbabwe's call for extradition. Doesn't he have to be indicted? Unless I missed seeing it, I haven't seen any specific charges. I think our extradition treaty specifies that his "crime" must be illegal in both countries. How can this be determined without Zimbabwe formally charging him?

I've seen "illegal hunting" and "poaching" mentioned, but I haven't seen anything like "Palmer has been charged with xxxx".

It is posturing. Zimbabwe and the US have very poor relations and it's pretty typical for them to politicize the issue and portray it.

BartsDaddy

***Hi yoink,

This f***ing nimrod

IMO no matter what you feel about this issue, vandalizing his home is simply wrong:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/home-lion-hunting-dentist-walter-palmer-vandalized-n404631

Jerry Baumchen

I agree his home should not be vandalised because of his actions. And I support finding and charging whoever did this. But our building at work sustains a lot more then this on a monthly basis just cause it is where some urban artists live.

There's ways to deal with those urban artists... Don't want them defacing your exterior walls? Install motion sensors and sprinkler systems. If there's a motion sensor that can identify when an object moves within its view and keeps moving, the sprinklers don't activate. If an object moves into view then stops, BOOM sprinklers activate and the object is getting wet.

Or is there a security station inside your building? Alarm sounds at the station when artist enters motion sensor view, guard views on cctv. Just before the artist starts with the defacing, guard pushes a button, activating whatever you have to force the dipshit to leave. :)
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

I was also thinking of something along the lines of a paint-ball machine gun triggered by interrupted laser beams that run along the wall, like maybe those garage door safety features... Spray paints, brushes etc, could interrupt the laser beam and bapbapbapbapbap "owshitfuckgoddamnit!"

:ph34r:

There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!