rushmc

Planned Parenthood and the term "slippery slope" .

grue

Who cares what happens to ANY human tissue after the person dies? God, move on.

Cemeteries are a waste of space, cremation is a waste of energy. If we can benefit from the tissue in some way, be it scientific research or feeding sharks, why not do it?

Sentimentalism is lame.

What is lame is the de-valuing of life to the level you just did

And I will leave it at that
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

gowlerk

In this case "your kind" was meant to refer to those who want to force their view upon others and to make others comply with what is essentially their religious view. A little like Taliban.

Could the inverse not be said of your position, and for that matter 'your kind' (I am not placing you or your views in any bucket as I don't know what they truly are, I am just making a point)? There is an equal push from the opposite view wanting to force others to accept their position on abortion. Just because something is legal doesn't mean that it is moral, just the same as morality doesn't equate to legality. So, from the opposing view it will always feel, well, a bit "Talibanesque". Whether the driving force behind one's position is religion, morality, or legality really is moot, as opposing parties will almost always discredit positions that aren't the same as their own as inferior.

Latest polls that I found (in a 3 second search) show the US is still split between prolife and prochoice (http://www.gallup.com/poll/170249/split-abortion-pro-choice-pro-life.aspx), so while completely legal (and I would argue that it should remain legal), the morality of the topic is still definitely not decided.
Dudeist Skydiver #0511

rushmc

***Who cares what happens to ANY human tissue after the person dies? God, move on.

Cemeteries are a waste of space, cremation is a waste of energy. If we can benefit from the tissue in some way, be it scientific research or feeding sharks, why not do it?

Sentimentalism is lame.

Devaluing life… you mean in the way that an unwanted child can ruin a life if someone is forced to bring it to term? Pregnancy is nothing more than hosting a parasite, and getting rid of that parasite can be the best life choice for a lot of people.

I value lives, just not of parasites.
cavete terrae.

grue

Who cares what happens to ANY human tissue after the person dies? God, move on.

Sentimentalism is lame.

As for abortion itself? Hell, the more the merrier.

Homer: Marge, please, old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use.

The Simpson's - Lady Bouvier's Lover (1994)

Pregnancy is nothing more than hosting a parasite, and getting rid of that parasite can be the best life choice for a lot of people.

This is classic - I'm going for popcorn.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hjeada

***In this case "your kind" was meant to refer to those who want to force their view upon others and to make others comply with what is essentially their religious view. A little like Taliban.

Could the inverse not be said of your position, and for that matter 'your kind' (I am not placing you or your views in any bucket as I don't know what they truly are, I am just making a point)? There is an equal push from the opposite view wanting to force others to accept their position on abortion. Just because something is legal doesn't mean that it is moral, just the same as morality doesn't equate to legality. So, from the opposing view it will always feel, well, a bit "Talibanesque". Whether the driving force behind one's position is religion, morality, or legality really is moot, as opposing parties will almost always discredit positions that aren't the same as their own as inferior.

Latest polls that I found (in a 3 second search) show the US is still split between prolife and prochoice (http://www.gallup.com/poll/170249/split-abortion-pro-choice-pro-life.aspx), so while completely legal (and I would argue that it should remain legal), the morality of the topic is still definitely not decided.

You are largely correct. But the difference is that I am not telling anyone that they must have an abortion, but they are telling others that they should not be allowed to have one. I am not asking or telling anyone to agree with my morality. Once again, if it is not your womb it is not your business. That is a legal matter, not a moral matter.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

rehmwa

***Who cares what happens to ANY human tissue after the person dies? God, move on.

Sentimentalism is lame.

Homer: Marge, please, old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use.

Once a kid is born or is at a point where it can live with routine maintenance like feeding, I'll tend towards protecting it, but when it's the size of a GI Joe and has no chance of survival outside of the host? No real loss.
cavete terrae.

normiss

IIRC, Sweden was doing this research long before abortion was even legal in the US, MUCH to the benefit of the rest of the humans on the planet.
Blame them.
THEY STARTED IT!

#thanksObama
:P

I am not against research
As this is going to get done anyway have a law that states that all should be donated to proper medical and college research operations

Selling of the parts will and has lead to ugly consequenses
Abraham Lincoln

grue

******Who cares what happens to ANY human tissue after the person dies? God, move on.

Sentimentalism is lame.

Put down the shovel and back away

Devaluing life… you mean in the way that an unwanted child can ruin a life if someone is forced to bring it to term? Pregnancy is nothing more than hosting a parasite, and getting rid of that parasite can be the best life choice for a lot of people.

I value lives, just not of parasites.
Abraham Lincoln

grue

******Who cares what happens to ANY human tissue after the person dies? God, move on.

Sentimentalism is lame.

Once a kid is born or is at a point where it can live with routine maintenance like feeding, I'll tend towards protecting it, but when it's the size of a GI Joe and has no chance of survival outside of the host? No real loss.

GI Joe - here's one that doesn't need protecting

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

DanG

A. Late term abortions are generally only legal due to medical necessity, so these abortions are going to happen anyway.
B. They are not selling the organs at a profit.
C. They are not a for profit organization.
D. The money they get from the government does not go towards abortion services.

You're outraged at things which aren't real.

That would be the very essence of a Reich Wing Conservative. They are extremely good at following the lead of their masters, using deliberate ignorance and "truthiness" to spread their ignorant bullshit lies to the gullible.

Hey Marc, are you aware that the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary?

>As this is going to get done anyway have a law that states that all should be
>donated to proper medical and college research operations

I agree. However, there is nothing wrong with paying for the (for example) transport of the tissue to the lab, or paying the tech to prepare it for transport - provided the tissue itself is not being sold.

Compare it to donating blood. I donate blood often and have never gotten paid for it. The blood banks then provide it to hospitals, and charge what it costs for the bags/handling/safety protocols/heparin etc.

"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."; Sister Joan Chittister, Benedictine order.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."; Sister Joan Chittister, Benedictine order.

You can point that out as I have numerous times..... but it falls on deaf ears of the GOP drones here.

There's also the fact that the so-called "pro-life" crowd is often pro-death penalty, pro-war, pro-gun rights, pro-hunting and on and on and on.

Only truly "pro-life" in one particular, specific situation. But try to call them "anti-abortion" and they get pretty irritated.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Anvilbrother

On record as PRO CHOICE LIBERTARIAN right here.

I am pro life too
I chose life
Abraham Lincoln

JohnnyMarko

******On record as PRO CHOICE LIBERTARIAN right here.

I am pro life too
I chose life
I chose to be gay!

Imagine if mom chose differently.

If I have to be put in some box, I'd say I am pro innocent murder.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

*********On record as PRO CHOICE LIBERTARIAN right here.

I am pro life too
I chose life
I chose to be gay!

Imagine if mom chose differently.

If I have to be put in some box, I'd say I am pro innocent murder.

That was the norm before 1972... The realities of unwanted pregnancies of unwed mothers has changed. Back then it was not readily available and it was certainly not safe.

Back Alley coat hanger abortions did happen before 1972 but the mortality rate for women was pretty high.... I guess they deserved death because they were not innocent virgins huh.

Ever wonder what the numbers are or have been for the well to do PRO-BIRTH Crowd when their precious baby girl managed to embarrass daddy and mommy with a pregnancy and a solution to that is quickly found so the family is not embarrassed at their church.