aphid

One view from here

"How sad a world it is when what even those of us outside America see the campaign for what should be regarded as the sublime office of the presidency of the greatest democracy in the world brought down to a spectacle not much more dignified than the Housewives of Beverly Hills, and of less class than the clammy gropings of The Bachelorette." (Rex Murphy - National Post, Canada 07/24/15)

NB: He wasn't speaking only of Trump, or even one party exclusively. In his opinion, there is plenty of blame to be shared.

As for me, I'm just tired of all the petty and childish squabbling.

In both our cases though, we are foreigners and as such are acutely aware that "it's none of our damned concern".

source: http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/rex-murphy-dont-blame-trump-blame-america

aphid

"How sad a world it is when what even those of us outside America see the campaign for what should be regarded as the sublime office of the presidency of the greatest democracy in the world brought down to a spectacle not much more dignified than the Housewives of Beverly Hills, and of less class than the clammy gropings of The Bachelorette." (Rex Murphy - National Post, Canada 07/24/15)

Where I place the blame. Along with the vast majority of voters lazy enough to let it shape their political judgements.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

JerryBaumchen

Hi blaster,

vast majority of voters lazy

As I have posted before; the majority of American voters are uninformed & prefer to stay that way.

:S

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

Please call me Paul :-) I would change my screen name if this site allowed me to do so, as I'm quite tired of it.

What you said is quite true, and it is also ruining the country -- getting worse with each election cycle. How is it possible that someone like Trump is getting attention, let alone leading in double digits?! Are Americans really this lazy and stupid?

Another TV-obsessed nation ended up with an equivalent to Trump -- Italy elected Berlusconi more than once and the country is now in shambles, with Berlusconi richer than ever. I believe it's entirely possible the same can happen in the US.

Unbelievable...

-P

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

How is it possible that someone like Trump is getting attention, let alone leading in double digits?!

It's because the polls are a joke at this point. No doubt they are being skewed to show him at the top, or people are doing it just as a joke. It is a publicity stunt and will eventually pass and he will be gone.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

How is it possible that someone like Trump is getting attention, let alone leading in double digits?!

It's because the polls are a joke at this point. No doubt they are being skewed to show him at the top, or people are doing it just as a joke. It is a publicity stunt and will eventually pass and he will be gone.

I would not make a bet on that

Much the same was said about Reagan.
And NO, I am NOT comparing the Trumpster to Reagan.

But people are pissed
They have voted people in the last three cycles who made promises and for the most part have not kept them.
People are pissed when the republicans tuck tail and run when the left and its compliant media pull PC bs on them.

Second,
The Media made BHO!
It they ever decide to do so, that same media can destroy him!
The media has nothing to do with Trump.
He does not need them and will not cower to the bull shit they spew in an attempt to destroy him.
To me it is refreshing.

AND

In the end, regardless who the republican nominee is, he/she with be treated no differently than Trump is treated today.

So, I am just enjoying the show

Cause even here, people are going nuts over Trump
Please pass the popcorn:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

In the absence of an enemy with any real power America has taken it's fight internal. It's hard to remain a vital force without something to fear, and even to hate. A bunch of desert Arabs with makeshift weapons and a desire to kill each other over tribal and religious differences is not enough to take on the role. So to fill this void, and with very real stakes in play, the politicians have managed to divide the nation into "left" and "right". Power matters, and they all will say just about anything to have it.

If the country was not so rich, and the majority of it's people living such easy lives, they could pull together. But the easy life is boring, and people need stimulation, so let the games begin.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hi Paul,

Please call me Paul

I will try to remember; but I am an old guy and the memory ain't what she used to be. :P

Are Americans really this lazy

I have always said that necessity is not the mother of invention; laziness is.

While many are to blame, it might have started with this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Watt

Watt made the steam engine practical; thus reducing the effort for the same amount of work. And it has not stopped yet. It has now extended into our mentality rather than our brawn as Watt intended.

Jerry Baumchen

>As I have posted before; the majority of American voters are uninformed & prefer to stay that way.

Apropos comment on another thread:

"This of course assumes you'll be watching [the debate.] Me? I'll pop in either my Ripcord or Three Stooges DVD's. Better entertainment."

gowlerk

the politicians have managed to divide the nation into "left" and "right".

I respectfully disagree. Instead of blaming the politicians, (or similar & familiar scapegoats such as the liberal media, or the neo-cons, or voter fraud, or religious nuts, or whatever the latest bugaboo is), the electorate must ultimately bear full responsibility for their actions, or inaction, at the ballot box.

If the candidates platforms and messages are unsuitable to the electorate, PROVE IT... at the ballot box.

Bickering at and calling each other childish names from across the political divide solves absolutely nothing.

How is it possible that someone like Trump is getting attention, let alone leading in double digits?! Are Americans really this lazy and stupid?

Yes, but I think their Canadian cousins offer-up stiff competition. In October 2014, they elected Rob Ford - Yes, This Rob Ford - the drug- and booze-addled national laughingstock - to the Toronto City Council by a majority of 58.9% of the vote.

Are Canadian voters really that lazy and stupid? Well, apparently... Yes.
But... that's just one view from down here.

Democracy - where the people get the government they deserve.

Andy9o8

How is it possible that someone like Trump is getting attention, let alone leading in double digits?! Are Americans really this lazy and stupid?

Yes, but I think their Canadian cousins offer-up stiff competition. In October 2014, they elected Rob Ford - Yes, This Rob Ford - the drug- and booze-addled national laughingstock - to the Toronto City Council by a majority of 58.9% of the vote.

The US presidency is indeed starting to be about as significant as a Toronto councillor.

SkyDekker

The US presidency is indeed starting to be about as significant as a Toronto councillor.

Or even as much as mayor of Toronto, Canada's largest city, with a residential population of 2.6 million. In August 2014, 1 month prior to withdrawing from the mayoral reelection campaign for medical (not political) reasons, Mayor Ford was polling just 3 points into second place, putting him in a statistical dead heat with the leader.

SkyDekker

Shhhhh... "they" are watching.....

I got an email from Rhys telling me so.

Andy9o8

Or even as much as mayor of Toronto, Canada's largest city, with a residential population of 2.6 million. In August 2014, 1 month prior to withdrawing from the mayoral reelection campaign for medical (not political) reasons, Mayor Ford was polling just 3 points into second place, putting him in a statistical dead heat with the leader.

Thanks for the trivia on Toronto, I had no idea.

Andy9o8

Yes, but I think their Canadian cousins offer-up stiff competition. (snip) Are Canadian voters really that lazy and stupid? Well, apparently... Yes.

A response to an inflammatory statement from a Swiss poster with an equally critical redirection towards Canada is...

enlightening.

I would agree with you there. We, and the USA, get the politicians we deserve. They are of us, and we go along for the ride willingly. That's why democracy is the least bad system. (so far)
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

JerryBaumchen

While many are to blame, it might have started with this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Watt

Watt made the steam engine practical; thus reducing the effort for the same amount of work. And it has not stopped yet. It has now extended into our mentality rather than our brawn as Watt intended.

Jerry Baumchen

And This guy played a part too.

Faraday invented the electric generator and electric motor. Couple a generator to a steam engine and you can distribute the power.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

aphid

Yes, but I think their Canadian cousins offer-up stiff competition. (snip) Are Canadian voters really that lazy and stupid? Well, apparently... Yes.

A response to an inflammatory statement from a Swiss poster with an equally critical redirection towards Canada is...

enlightening.I think you missed the point. Why would someone like Ford draw such support, despite his obvious shortcomings? Perhaps because people are fed up with the usual brand of career politician? It's a sad day when so many voters feel a foul-mouthed alcoholic drug abuser is actually more likely to represent their interests than the slick party hacks are.

How is Ford doing these days BTW? Has he recovered from his cancer? As a foul-mouthed alcoholic druggie cancer survivor he should be potential Prime Minister material.

On the other hand, it's hard for me to see how anyone could find Trump to be someone they can relate to in any way. His whole history has been to take care of himself, there is nothing in his record to suggest he gives two shits about the "common people". He is entertaining, though, in much the same way as one might be "entertained" by watching a speeding train approach a car stuck on the tracks.

Don

I think you missed the point. Why would someone like Ford draw such support, despite his obvious shortcomings? Perhaps because people are fed up with the usual brand of career politician? It's a sad day when so many voters feel a foul-mouthed alcoholic drug abuser is actually more likely to represent their interests than the slick party hacks are.

There was more at play than that. Rob did actually accomplish quite a bit. Including decent reductions in cost. My property taxes have gone down, while my valuation has gone up.

He was also pretty much the only conservative candidate in a town which has historically been run by left to far left wing politicians supported by labour unions.

His poll numbers prior to dropping out where IMHO slanted with pity for his cancer diagnosis.

Why would someone like Ford draw such support, despite his obvious shortcomings?

Because Toronto is rapidly becoming racially and ethnically mixed with new Canadians, and this is bringing the inevitable social tensions. All the other candidates cater to this new reality and are in favour of expensive social programs as well as seeking support from civic unions. There is no strong candidate in the middle. So the still somewhat dominate white middle class held their noses and voted for him. He was actually the only responsible candidate for mayor on the ballot. All the rest depended on various special interests for support and were sure to waste large amounts of taxpayer cash on them. Classic no win situation, lesser of the available evils.

GeorgiaDon

enlightening.I think you missed the point. Why would someone like Ford draw such support, despite his obvious shortcomings? Perhaps because people are fed up with the usual brand of career politician? It's a sad day when so many voters feel a foul-mouthed alcoholic drug abuser is actually more likely to represent their interests than the slick party hacks are.

I think this question has been answered by previous posters, but I think it's unlikely the electorate was aware of his "obvious shortcomings" prior to achieving that office. Keep in mind that Mayor Ford was only successful in ONE mayoralty bid.

How is Ford doing these days BTW? Has he recovered from his cancer?

I don't know. He has fallen from the national news cycle, so perhaps somebody from TO could tell you.

As a foul-mouthed alcoholic druggie cancer survivor he should be potential Prime Minister material.

How constructive. Thank you.

John