JohnnyMarko

First time firearm owner - advice

riggerrob

Yes,

You can buy ammo that is cheap, reliable or accurate ... pick any two.

The other feeding issue is the wide rim on .22 ammo. You need to load rimmed ammo so that rims are stacked with round #1 always ahead of round #2, #3, #4, etc.
Similar to loading any weapon with .303 British ammo and lots of the older pistol cartridges.

Yes you should load any rimmed case the way you describe. But there are ones you can't do that with. Try loading a 50 round .22 mag like that you run out of room. My belt fed .303 after 10 rounds they would not be seating in the links anymore, that is why it gets linked one in front one behind and continues like that and feeds just fine.
As to the cheap,accurate or reliable that is not all ways true. I have .22 semi-autos that will eat anything and others that will only work with one or two brands.and still others that I have to adjust the action whenever I change brands but I can get them to shoot all most any brand it just takes time.
The .22 is capable of taking more game and people then it is given credit for. But I would not use it for self defense for anything higher then a snake or squirrel. Shot placement is too critical.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

Johnny,

Should you decide on getting your CCW and depending on State laws; if you qualify and license with an automatic; you can carry either an automatic or a revolver. If you qualify with a revolver; then you may only CCW with a revolver. Check with your State's CCW division.

As to thoughts on what to pursue, I've trained many people using a .22 and my most recent favorite is the Ruger SR22. First, it's an automatic and so learning not only how to fire it, taking the gun fear out of the big bang, and the tear-down and maintenance are my foremost thoughts in training anyone.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html

Those who tell you it will take several shots to take someone down with a .22 are correct, but the same is true of a 9mm. (bad place for this example, but ex-officer Slager [POS] shot at Mr. Scott eight times, hit him 5 times before he went down with a 9mm)

I then move them up to the LCr depending on which flavor of ammo they want to train with. For most, I go with the .38. This weapon is a 5 shot (thinner profile) and hammerless... meaning reduced snag point in a high-adrenaline situation.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

Please realize these are full MSRP from the manufacturer and your local dealer may have better pricing.

Finally, when they think they're ready, in order to introduce some adrenaline; I'll introduce a time factor and be hurling shit at their feet from the side - garbage cans, rocks, small logs, etc. and also in front of their line of sight while screaming at them. They must get a shot group within the palm of my hand or we continue till they do. Then, I turn them over to a formal CCW Instructor to go through the course.

Not everyone will agree on training methodology or weapon; but its kinda like getting people to agree on a training discipline or parachute for a beginner. So, you asked for some thoughts on an initial weapon for pricing purposes, I hope this helps.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You're in Colorado which is primarily an open carry state with the exception of the city of and county of Denver. Also, open carry in the car is permitted; oh and Boulder is a crack-pot town when it comes to firearms so you will definitely want to educate yourself on Colorado statutes.

As far as the style and caliber of firearm is concerned, there has been some good advice (so far) and I would suggest going to a range that rents firearms and try a few to get a feel. Like skydiving - start slow and gain experience and work your way up.

A .22 is a solid gun but if you're being attacked by a hopped up meth head, you are likely to empty the mag and that clown will still be zipping around. The 9mm is popular because the ammo is cheap and there are many varieties of 9mm handguns to choose from.

Open carry in Colorado is sorta funny because the Kalifornia Klowns will definitely make a comment to let you know their disdain for the 2nd Amendment. Take your time, educate yourself and have fun.

cruelpops

Open carry in Colorado is sorta funny because the Kalifornia Klowns will definitely make a comment to let you know their disdain for the 2nd Amendment. Take your time, educate yourself and have fun.

To be fair, I had a short exchange with someone open carrying into a ski-shop to rent skis (Texas plates, no idea where he was actually from). I live and work downtown (Congress Park) and have no intentions of open carrying unless I'm backpacking or at the range.

Thanks all for the good advice. Plenty of info for a starting point.

Finally, when they think they're ready, in order to introduce some adrenaline; I'll introduce a time factor and be hurling shit at their feet from the side - garbage cans, rocks, small logs, etc. and also in front of their line of sight while screaming at them. They must get a shot group within the palm of my hand or we continue till they do. Then, I turn them over to a formal CCW Instructor to go through the course.

I like this idea, everyone thinks they will react well but nobody knows just how different shooting is when their adrenaline jacks up and suddenly their hands feel like they are wearing oven mitts - I am gonna do something similar when my son is ready but am thinking air horn or bullhorn if I can find one rather than screaming myself hoarse :)
Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

cruelpops

You're in Colorado which is primarily an open carry state with the exception of the city of and county of Denver. Also, open carry in the car is permitted; oh and Boulder is a crack-pot town when it comes to firearms so you will definitely want to educate yourself on Colorado statutes.

Wrong about Boulder. When I took the CCW class at the Boulder Rifle Club, one of the presenters was from the Boulder County Sheriffs office.

With respect to gun laws, there two areas in CO:
- in Denver.
- outside of Denver.

Denver managed to get assorted bans grandfathered in when the state pre-emption laws took effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Colorado
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

stayhigh

Pistol? Shotgun? Rifle? Auto/Semi/Manual? Do you want affordable ammos or really expansive ammos?

So many to choose from.

I think pump action shotgun should be the first firearm everyone should get. Easy and reliable, and if you have a trap/skeet range near by that is really fun thing to do.

Shooting at paper target with a handgun at a target range isn't a thing for me. I like it when I split the clay in half and shoot the bigger half with the remainder. To really have fun doing trap/skeet, you might wanna get a over and under.

Benelli. not too expensive, not too cheap. I like how it operates.

Far as handguns go,, revolver style? or semi-auto?

Springfield XD. I like those. That really depends on your hand size. You are gonna have to go and hold it in your hand.

Not too expensive? you must be rich. And I have a Springfield XDM 9mm pistol that is 19+1. I like the pistol but I dislike the extraordinarily long trigger pull. If you get one get a trigger job.

ryoder

***You're in Colorado which is primarily an open carry state with the exception of the city of and county of Denver. Also, open carry in the car is permitted; oh and Boulder is a crack-pot town when it comes to firearms so you will definitely want to educate yourself on Colorado statutes.

Wrong about Boulder. When I took the CCW class at the Boulder Rifle Club, one of the presenters was from the Boulder County Sheriffs office.

With respect to gun laws, there two areas in CO:
- in Denver.
- outside of Denver.

Denver managed to get assorted bans grandfathered in when the state pre-emption laws took effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Colorado

1. City and County of Denver won their case (under the Home Rule amendment) in district court which was later upheld by the Colorado Supreme Court thus open carry in the city AND the county is not permissible.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Media/Opinion_Docs/03cv3809order.pdf

2. The mayor and city council of Boulder are known for their attempts to enact "ordinances" that go against Colorado statutes.

3. The difference between the Boulder County Sheriff and Boulder PD is night and day.

4. Which is why I said Johnny Marko needs to get educated.

You're welcome to it. Admittedly, I train groups of no less than 5 (no charge). SO, I usually have some assistance on the screaming part... however, I like the bull horn/ Air horn idea. Have your son watch FURY... bout the closest I've seen to Hollywood understanding getting shot back.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Johnny,

As a large amount of great advice has already been given I will keep my post short.

Evaluating your intended use as an occasional range weapon and something to carry while camping, I would strongly suggest a .357 revolver.

1) I would avoid a long gun (shot gun/rifle) as they can be unwieldy with hiking gear in comparison to a handgun. I presume you would be carrying it as protection against wild life rather than a hunting weapon and a pistol will do just fine. I have found that a round fired near a curious predator is usually enough to send it on its way.

2) Revolver, not a semi automatic. Unless you intend to train regularly with your firearm then I would stick to a revolver for it's simplicity and reliability. Remedial action for a semi automatic (actions taken during a jam/misfire/misfeed) is relatively simple thing for an intermediate or advanced firearm owner with training. However, to one who does not train regularly, fixing a malfunction in a time of high stress could have detrimental results. Remedial action for a revolver: keep pulling the trigger until it stops going bang.

3) .357 long barrel. Arguments over calibers are like assholes and opinions, especially as a new gun owner. Again, if your intended use is protection while hiking, you are going to want something with a little more Powah behind it to stop, if necessary, some of those bigger critters you guys have running around in Colorado.

As everyone else has already said, go to your local gun store and have a dialogue regarding your needs and concerns and they should point you in the right direction.