yoink

Gunman opens fire at cinema in Lafayette

christelsabine

***Well enlighten us with the rest of them then. I will say that the point you brought up about a nationwide database of persons who a professional mental health doctor has diagnosed as not being able to have a gun should exist, and enforced. What are the other solutions from you I missed that you said you have already stated in this thread?

Things you suggested
-make laws have more stringent penalties and put more people in jail
Stricter laws do not work if that were the case people would never make it to their third strike knowing the harshness of the next level
-don't let people with confirmed mental illnesses have guns
Great point I like this one now how do you ensure they have no guns once you have the registered ones
-revoke gun rights for those who have new diagnosis.
Who exactly is in charge of this?
- also jail people who let someone who is have a gun
How do we go about this exactly?

Things you have not addressed
-guns the authorities did not know the person had
-street bought guns
-straw purchases
-stealing firearms
-normal legally owned firearm holders who instantly snap over a spontaneous situation(rape/divorce/fired/etc) with no previous criminal or mental illness.

Get rid of NRA. First and most important step.

I'm impressed with your lack of support of freedom of assembly. It must be tough to be that caring voice that speaks so loudly against all that is bad.

Freedom of assembly and association are bad. I hadn't understood that before but since you so obviously care more than anyone else and loudly denounce all bad things, I reckon that the First Amendment to the US Constitution is as bad as the Second. (Understanding that neither right is protected in Germany, which is why white supremacists are completely absent over there).

I understand that over there are outlawed organizations. Because Germany has freedom of non-censored speech.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Let's get this straight. Your (and Anvil's) answer is 'do nothing unless a perfect answer can be found.'
It's disingenuous to say the least - you know full well that there is no single absolute answer.

\

That is ABSOLUTELY not what is going on here. You must identify the issues and solutions then prioritize which one will have the most effect, or can be done the fastest and decide which to start doing first. What you are suggesting is taking on the first issue that pops up and the rest as they come is not the way to go about it.

And not a single person here has said do nothing, but Normiss did put it out there that a couple of us are saying that.

I live 45 minutes away from that shooting in Lafayette. My wife and daughter go the movies often I am not trying to block anything that would not make them safer.

I actually carried when I went to see the American Sniper movie due to the threats of harm in theaters. A few of my military friends chose to wait to see the movie for that exact fact. All I am doing, and I dont know why others are not chipping in since they always bitch about how we never do anything proactive is throw out the issues and come up with some possible solutions. I can tell you brother its hard to keep it on track and not have others make it fall into the usual bullshit around here.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Almost as if I had paid him to say it here is more proof of what I just told you above:S:S:S:S

ANVILBROTHER "Its part of the process normiss. "
NORMISS Apparently, doing nothing is also part of your process.
Crazy

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

yoink

Psychological evaluations for everyone currently owning a gun or purchasing a firearm. Evaluations to be redone on a yearly basis. The cost for said evaluation is part of the license to own a gun.
No right to bear arms for those with weapons misdemeanors in their past.

It may not stop 'em all, but it'd catch some. And that's better than none.

:D:D:D:D

Therapist: So, why do you want (still need) a gun?
Patient: To protect my family.
T: Protect them from whom?
P: From whomever tries to harm them.
T: Do you think someone is going to harm them?
Scribbles on pad: Borderline paranoid/delusional, ownership denied/revoked.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

tkhayes

The first step towards having an "honest discussion about gun violence" is to drop the charade that either political party actually champions that right now.

Second step would be to admit that we have a gun problem that other countries do not have. And that we simply refuse to act on it.

I would love to hear you explain how what you just wrote in response to my post (and my posts in the older thread I linked to) is a step towards an honest discussion about gun violence.

Guns, shmuns. That's just a smokescreen. Tell you what, though.
I'd like to know what we're doing about white guy extremism in this country. Wake up and smell the coffee people, they're taking over and we're just letting it happen.
Where's the outrage?

Amazon

Well it looks like this guy has some great ultra conservative background... loved the Westboro maroons.. hated feminists and liberals.... a Tea Bagger thru and thru...

Who cares if he was a tea bagger, how does your reply help solve the problem? You are demonstrating the exact things the poster above was describing every time an incident like this happens....polarize, attack, and insult.

Anvilbrother

***Well it looks like this guy has some great ultra conservative background... loved the Westboro maroons.. hated feminists and liberals.... a Tea Bagger thru and thru...

Who cares if he was a tea bagger, how does your reply help solve the problem? You are demonstrating the exact things the poster above was describing every time an incident like this happens....polarize, attack, and insult.

Its the same crap you see on Tea Bagging sites on Facebook daily.... the severe ODS just came home to roost.... its what the right wing thrives on..

I guess you are being sarcastic, but who cares what color, political affiliation, or religion. We have been down this road dozens of times everyone bitches, and moans, and attacks each other, and nothing good is done about thinking of a way to prevent this it always gets derailed. How do we stop it? Got any ideas?:)

Amazon

******Well it looks like this guy has some great ultra conservative background... loved the Westboro maroons.. hated feminists and liberals.... a Tea Bagger thru and thru...

Its the same crap you see on Tea Bagging sites on Facebook daily.... the severe ODS just came home to roost.... its what the right wing thrives on..
What the fuck are you talking about? You know what I'm not gonna let this derail something good. What do you propose we do to stop mass shootings? Be specific what laws will stop this?

Andy9o8

Guns, shmuns. That's just a smokescreen. Tell you what, though.
I'd like to know what we're doing about white guy extremism in this country. Wake up and smell the coffee people, they're taking over and we're just letting it happen.
Where's the outrage?

I've been outraged at hipsters for years...

RMK

Have you by any chance noticed the one thing in common these shooting have?

Yes, they're nearly always in the US.

Europe has a far larger population than the US; we don't have these problems on the frequency/scale of the US.

no but you have a much higher rate of violent crime

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

I have to laugh every time somebody says we need tougher laws on guns. I live in a state that has very tough laws on them. The problem is they are not enforced.
I personally know a sack of shit that stole a firearm from a friend drove across state lines with it . Did an armed robbery of a liquor store got caught and when all was said and done did 6 months in county jail as time served. So after being found guilty of 3 felonies he walked out of court a free man.
Laws are in place to sentence for much longer then that. Why do we need more laws if they don't enforce the ones we have?

But I am sure if we pass more stricter gun laws that will work just like it has with drugs.

We as a nation have a people problem not an object problem. We have people that do not Cate about laws they are going to do what they want. And people charged with enforcing choose laws look at them as being unjust so they let them of easy.

With the laws against gun ownership here in California there is a nice matched set of engraved gold iPlayer 45 longcolt revolvers in a custom display case at a local gun store. Too bad nobody can buy them. Cause you can only buy one handgun every thirty days. So a set of two sirs on display not to ever be bought. Because of our common sense gun laws.
Maybe if we pass more drug laws we will cure addiction too.

We can't even keep drugs and cell phones out of prisons and people here think we can pass laws that will keep people from killing other people out in the free world.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

jtiflyer

Have you by any chance noticed the one thing in common these shooting have?

Yes, they're nearly always in the US.

Europe has a far larger population than the US; we don't have these problems on the frequency/scale of the US.

no but you have a much higher rate of violent crime

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

As the FBI states quite clearly in its uniform crime report, various countries define "violent crime" in very different ways so you can't make comparisons.

And from the very article you cite:

"But criminologists say crime figures can be affected by many factors, including different criminal justice systems and differences in how crime is reported and measured.

"In Britain, an affray is considered a violent crime, while in other countries it will only be logged if a person is physically injured."

You have to make allowances for the Daily Mail; its expertise is UFO reports.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Apparently the perp. has a history of mental illness and is a member of the Tea Party.

How do such unsuitable people get hold of guns so easily?

I do not think they want to talk about that...... here...... which does not surprise me in the least.

If this would have been a brown man.... TERRORIST...

Old white guy..... mental instability is the default.... not that a homophobic, misogynistic, racist hate monger would act on his hate.. just as a brown Islamic hate monger acts on his feelings that everything not in HIS BOOK is the great satan... and must be killed.

I guess this tool in Lafayette would not want virgins in paradise.... so there is a difference I spose.

I have had about enough of your hate and thread derailing with side show bias.

I tried to finally do what you all bitch about every time there is a mass shooting and turn this conversation into something other than partisan attacks and maybe find some answers to prevent this.

You win go ahead and take this thread into the dumpster. Next time there is another mass shooting I will remind you how you turned this into a politics shit show instead of a solution with your irrelevant bullshit.

tkhayes

i love how we redefine the argument every time it goes against our favor. we now only consider 'mass shootings' to be a problem.

30000 people die every year at the end of a gun. that is 'mass' in my definition.

but of course to the gun lobby 'my definition' does not matter whereas 'theirs' does.

Maybe we should ask the dead people what they think of it....

I'm pretty sure some are thankful.

Or are you against the right to choose?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Anvilbrother

I have had about enough of your hate and thread derailing with side show bias.

I tried to finally do what you all bitch about every time there is a mass shooting and turn this conversation into something other than partisan attacks and maybe find some answers to prevent this.

You win go ahead and take this thread into the dumpster. Next time there is another mass shooting I will remind you how you turned this into a politics shit show instead of a solution with your irrelevant bullshit.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/07/24/no-conservatives-the-tea-party-affiliated-mass-shooter-was-not-a-liberal-obama-supporter/

No, Conservatives, The Tea Party Affiliated Mass Shooter Was Not A Liberal ‘Obama Supporter’

Your right Amazon you made your point, you caught the tater. The shooting was entirely politically motivated with no other intent or cause and orchestrated by the tea party, who tried to cover it up with a covert article stating that he was actually a commie leftist, and Obama's second cousin removed.

After the fake article failed to gain traction the tea party was outed as the organization behind the scene pulling the strings.

I am so glad we have people such as yourself that can see through all the mental illness problems, and flaws in gun regulation smoke screens that were thrown up by the REPUBLICAN posters to get to the real truth.

What would we do without you...

By the way so he can be punished properly which GOP bastard here was the one that failed to convince you that "The Tea Party Affiliated Mass Shooter Was Not A Liberal ‘Obama Supporter’ " Because I fail to see where anyone here said that.

Anvilbrother

Your right Amazon you made your point, you caught the tater. The shooting was entirely politically motivated with no other intent or cause and orchestrated by the tea party, who tried to cover it up with a covert article stating that he was actually a commie leftist, and Obama's second cousin removed.

After the fake article failed to gain traction the tea party was outed as the organization behind the scene pulling the strings.

I am so glad we have people such as yourself that can see through all the mental illness problems, and flaws in gun regulation smoke screens that were thrown up by the REPUBLICAN posters to get to the real truth.

What would we do without you...

By the way so he can be punished properly which GOP bastard here was the one that failed to convince you that "The Tea Party Affiliated Mass Shooter Was Not A Liberal ‘Obama Supporter’ " Because I fail to see where anyone here said that.

I just found it interesting that so many want to talk about mental health instead of the inbred HATE that has inflicted those who now wish to distance themselves from someone who acted out on his hatred. It appears that a steady diet of ODS and right wing more fear more of the time is not good for old white guys health.