yoink

Gunman opens fire at cinema in Lafayette

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33646707

Let me kill the thread right here:

Some of us will say "yet another attempted mass murder driven by lax gun control and paranoia of some in the US"

Others will say "If only everyone in the cinema was armed it wouldn't have happened!"

then it'll come down to bitching about right and left wing.

Nothing will change and there will be another mass shooting within a couple of months.

Last year there were over 7000 deaths by gun in the US and nothing happens.
Less than 3000 people died in the sept 11th attacks and the US goes to war for 4 years over it....
:S

I believe that gun ownership in the US does more damage to its own citizens than terrorism does or ever will do.

i love how we redefine the argument every time it goes against our favor. we now only consider 'mass shootings' to be a problem.

30000 people die every year at the end of a gun. that is 'mass' in my definition.

but of course to the gun lobby 'my definition' does not matter whereas 'theirs' does.

Maybe we should ask the dead people what they think of it....

Nevermind you're including suicide and firearm accidents to get your number.

Studies place the instances of guns used in personal defense as low as 65,000 times per year, and as high as 2.5 million times per year. Under President Clinton, the Department of Justice conducted a survey in 1994 that placed the usage rate of guns used in personal defense at 1.5 million times per year, but noted this was likely to be an overestimate

11000-12000 every year in Homicide, according to CDC and pretty much every other source out there.

another 21000 in suicides by gun (I know... they 'do not count' but thanks for making my original point)

73000 to 100,000 firearm injuries each year. (that's right, THEY do not count either...I mean the cost to society is minimal I am sure.)

other data, although older. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/jul/23/facebook-posts/do-people-get-shot-every-year-facebook-post-says/

CDC somewhat newer. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm

But my whole point is that we then pick it apart and say...oh well, we are talking about mass shooting after all....oh well we are talking about suicides after all.....oh well we are talking about mental health after all....oh well we are talking about....whatever.

we react to car deaths, drownings, airplane deaths, fire deaths, drug overdoses, and do everything we can to reduce that....but we do nothing when it comes to gun deaths.

My firearms have killed nobody and I carry every day, you will never know I have it on me as it stays concealed.

I have 0% chance of defeating 3 guys with my fists and feet if they decide to kill me and do whatever they want with my son.

I carry because the bad guys do as well and we do not go anywhere that prohibits guns for law abiding citizens - I will give my hard earned money to a shop that doesn't shit on my 2A rights

Have you by any chance noticed the one thing in common these shooting have?
give ya a clue, its a small sign they put in the window.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

D22369

I carry because the bad guys do as well and we do not go anywhere that prohibits guns for law abiding citizens - I will give my hard earned money to a shop that doesn't shit on my 2A rights

I did not jump in many places in the US, but by any chance did you jump in Eloy, AZ ? Ever been to the Bent Prop ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I have 0% chance of defeating 3 guys with my fists and feet if they decide to kill me and do whatever they want with my son.

I wouldn't trust my children near a person suffering from paranoid delusions, the chance that they play with your gun and injure someone or themselves is much greater than you saving them from an imaginary enemy.

I really don't care if you are butthurt that I carry.
There is no chance your child could play with it - its in a retention holster and when I am not wearing it, it is placed in a biometric gun safe in my locked trunk.

and as for the silly "imaginary enemy" comment...
We just had a individual get beat to near death with bats by three guys here in town in a good neighborhood - his girlfriend got tried to intervene and got tossed into traffic where she got hit by a car.

beginning of the year we had an 80 somthing year old woman suffer a home invasion and RAPE, in a good neighborhood.

I have said it many times, it only takes you being in the wrong place, wrong time - and it can occur anywhere. Being vigilant and taking steps to safeguard mine and my sons life is something I take serious.

you want to call it "paranoid delusion"? go ahead,
in my opinion you have your head in the sand. I hope I never have to use it but I train regularly, I am an ex Marine and I keep my skills up.

I hope you never find yourself in a situation that spins out of your control, begging will be your only option.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

and as for the silly "imaginary enemy" comment...
We just had a individual get beat to near death with bats by three guys here in town in a good neighborhood - his girlfriend got tried to intervene and got tossed into traffic where she got hit by a car.

beginning of the year we had an 80 something year old woman suffer a home invasion and RAPE, in a good neighborhood.

and some of that shit will happen regardless of whether society has 300M guns in the hands of idiots, or even if society has massive restrictions on guns and most guns are in the hands of responsible gun owners.

Yet to see the evidence that there has been a massive reduction in crime due to the number of guns in the USA. It should be the safest place on earth given the stories that the gun lobby like to spin out there. sadly it is not.

A greater threat to the country than any 'muslim terrorist' has ever been.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/04/true-cost-of-gun-violence-in-america

I would have less of an issue if there was insurance required by the gun owners to cover the cost to society. I always wondered about how much it really costs and whether or not anyone had ever studied it. I expect this is not the only source to ever investigate it.

That might be considered part of the 'personal responsibility' touted by the gun lobby and the right wing in general.

Is Mother Jones dead on with their numbers? Who gives a shit, no one can dispute that it costs society billions every year. and $200B sounds pretty reasonable.

Even if it was half that, it still should be considered obscene by any reasonable society.

D22369

Yes, they're nearly always in the US.

Europe has a far larger population than the US; we don't have these problems on the frequency/scale of the US.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

Yes, they're nearly always in the US.

Europe has a far larger population than the US; we don't have these problems on the frequency/scale of the US.RMK, you need to remember that an armed society is a polite society... As in "We are the society that invented gangsta rap" polite :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

stayhigh

two people were killed including a gunman.....

not good enough to get noticed? :S

sound more like a murder suicide than a attempted mass murder.

"58-year-old white male armed with a handgun"

it was probably a parking dispute. or mental illness.
'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave.'
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

yoink

Let me kill the thread right here

(excellent recap of the usual non-productive twaddle)

I believe that gun ownership in the US does more damage to its own citizens than terrorism does or ever will do.

Then you go ahead and start the usual twaddle by picking one of the stock positions you grumped about.

I don't think you know what "thread kill" means

thread kill fail

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

There have been entire threads discussing everything you've written here, some of which you've participated in. I said what I had to say about that mother jones article in this thread http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4722210#4722210 and posted some other thoughts at the end of that thread.

We don't do nothing in response to reminders of gun violence in our country. What we do is throw biased articles at one another, make snarky comments on Internet forums, and then we vote for people who either try and pass legislation that pays no attention to details in gun violence statistics or we vote for people that will try and stop the first group.

The first step towards having an "honest discussion about gun violence" is to drop the charade that either political party actually champions that right now.