jclalor

DZ.com 2016 GOP straw poll

Until the electoral collage is disbanded it will ALWAYS come down to a red vs blue decision, decided by a minority of states.

That's the first part. The other part is elimination of plurality rule, i.e., "first past the post" elections, which maintain 2-party rule and make viable, lasting third parties almost impossible. To take its place, and encourage third parties, institute double-ballot majority rule, i.e., if a party or candidate fails to win an absolute majority on the first ballot, a run-off election is held between the top 2 vote-getters.

See, Duverger's Law.

Amazon

***The thing it highlights clearly for me is that there's no clear party who is my preference.

I'd love to have a party where we agree on most of my really important issues, but that isn't the case, so I have to make macro decisions - what's more important to me? Immigration policy, or domestic policy? Economic vs foreign...

As normiss says though, it's all a moot point. Until the electoral collage is disbanded it will ALWAYS come down to a red vs blue decision, decided by a minority of states. :(

If one party seriously ran on electoral reform, that would probably be enough to swing my vote for that iteration - even if I disagreed with almost everything else they stood for.

each one of the questions.. had an OTHER option..... that provided qualifiers to the simpler yes no questions... as well as more important-Most Important and less on the other side. There were also OTHER questions in each area.. and one of them concerned some of the idiocy of gerrymandering and toxic PAC's etc with Corporate "persons"

I used those. There were only a couple that I selected a simple yes or no on. And I think my answers to the gerrymandering one and the ranking I gave it was the one which put Bernie Sanders at the top of my list.

Andy9o8

Until the electoral collage is disbanded it will ALWAYS come down to a red vs blue decision, decided by a minority of states.

That's the first part. The other part is elimination of plurality rule, i.e., "first past the post" elections, which maintain 2-party rule and make viable, lasting third parties almost impossible. To take its place, and encourage third parties, institute double-ballot majority rule, i.e., if a party or candidate fails to win an absolute majority on the first ballot, a run-off election is held between the top 2 vote-getters.

See, Duverger's Law.

Yup. there are a few alternative voting options, any of which are better than first-past-the-post.

I was so depressed when the UK had a referendum (2011 I think?) to vote on using the alternative vote system and it didn't pass - mainly because the explanations given of why it was important were shit, and the general populace are resistant to any change.

Hopefully after the last election result people will revisit the question with some of the blinkers removed.

GeorgiaDon

***Vote early and vote often.

What exactly are we voting for? Biggest asshole? Most likely to win the nomination? Most likely to win the election? Most likely to keep late night talk show hosts swimming in material for jokes? Least connected to reality?

Don

At this point no matter what the party affiliation is, I will try to choose the one that is less likely to do more reputational damage to the U.S.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Anvilbrother

https://www.isidewith.com

It would be neat if everyone did it and posted a screenshot of the two results like I did.

Even though I am not a Yank, I answered honestly and no surprises.

Political Parties:

1) Libertarian Party: 90%
2) Constitution Party: 87%
3) Republican Party: 81%
4) Democratic Party: 67%

President:

1) Rand Paul: 87%
2) Marco Rubio: 83%
3) Rick Santorum: 73%
7) Billary Clinton: 66%
10) Donald Trump: 58%

For the record I am a Social Libertarian (I promise I won't tell you how to live your life if you return the favor and let me live my life as I want to live it), but I am a staunch Fiscal Conservative and even before this survey was made available to us, I voted for Rand Paul in this DorkZone.com poll with Marco Rubio a close 2nd. Everyone else ... I dislike them all, especially Billary and Trumpet.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over